1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Woman convicted of animal abuse in Houston

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Dukesdad, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

In the paper this morning was a big story about a woman who was convicted yesterday for animal abuse by neglecting to provide food, water and shelter to two horses. The horses were severly malnourished, their feet were abscessed, and they had a skin condition called rain rot.
    I am sure this sentence might reach your newspapers.
    The judge sentenced her to one year in jail then probated the sentence to 30 days in jail with the first three days on bread and water only. The judge also ordered photos of the two emaciated horses to be posted on the wall of her jail cell. The judge cited that since she had worked at a stable there was no excuse except laziness in not providing proper care for the animals.
    Of the two horses, one was in such bad shape it had to be euthanized but the other was adopted and is now doing great.

Each morning one of the local radio shows always ask an opinion question so people can call in to respond. This morning the question concerned this case and the question was " Is this sentence appropriate or too severe?" On most days the questions receive a 50 - 50 split opinion response but today 100% of the callers said the sentence was either correct or not stiff enough. One man said he would eliminate the bread and only give her water. Most said she should be made to know what hunger felt like.

If I were the judge I would have sentenced her to work for Samsintensions for a month. Sam I'm sure would love to opportunity to educate this woman on the proper care of horses. Right Sam?

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Too severe?? If anything it was too lenient. Three days isn't long enough. I'd say a week on bread and water and at least the whole year in jail.

Jamiya

3. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

:x We also had an animal abuse conviction story this morning about 2 teenage boys who took a 6month old Pitbull puppy up on the roof of their house and threw him to the ground, they then dragged him around by a rope till he died! :0024: I HATE PEOPLE SOMETIMES! They convicted the kids to jail time, but no word on if they would be treated for a mental problem, which I would go out on a limb and say that they have, so that these kids would not do something like this again.

4. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

OMG! I can't believe that!

Dukesdad: I am happy that EXPLICIT got jail time. I think 2 weeks bread and water would be better than 3 days.

Sargesmom: The sickest thing about that whole situation is that that behaviour is a learned behaviour, not an instinct. Children only grow up to know violence because of seeing and receiving it first hand. A childs brain stops growing at the age of 3 and all images it see up to that point are "stored" and help to develop the character that child will become. Introvert, hot tempered etc.

If I were the judge, I would be looking into the youths family life to determine other factors that caused this rage and hate in him. \

GRRRRRRR.............

5. GinaH

GinaH New Member

I personally think they were not harsh enough with her punishment.
    There is absolutely no excuse for animal cruelty.

6. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Bullylove1- I totally agree. Iwas so mad that they didn't even address the "WHY" of how this happened and how to help these boys stop from hurting animals. Animals for now, then probably on to people! :x

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

this was in USA today, unfortunatley they didnt help soon enough because one of the horse died. She should get even worse punishment then that

honeybear

8. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I agree with everyone else that this was not harsh enough. But it is a step in the right direction, I see time and time again people get a slap on the wrist for some horrible crimes to animals.

9. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Mankind's true moral test, its fundamental test, consists of its attitude toward those who are at its mercy: animals - Milan Kundera

10. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

loves-da-pits- OH! I adore Milan Kundera! I can't believe you quoted that! Thanks for a little boost on my day! :D

11. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

12. honeybears

honeybears New Member

thanks for the links. I dont think her punishment was severe enough, she should have done consecutive time in jail, more like 6 months, then 6 months community service in the animal area. we need tov give harsher punishment to get the emsage across

honeybear

13. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I bet that judge won't be permitted to continue - someone, somewhere will call his sentences "cruel and unusual punishment". But I like him!! I haven't read the article yet, but I will over lunch.

Jamiya

14. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I heard about this dukes dad. Let me post a photo for yall and let you see what people like her do tho animals.....If you can't stomache it, don't look at it. THis one, her name is Goldie, She didn't make it. I watched as she faded away.

http://www.lser.org/Goldie.htm

IT flat out PISSES me off that someone like her can do this! I've watched as day by day, my rescues, whether they be canine, feline, or equine and occasionally a bovine suffer then come to my care and improve.

One horse we siezed was on a scale of .5 , Almost dead. THe lady that had this Beautiful horse told me that he was an old nag, and she tried to feed him, but he wouldn't gain weight. He was standing in about 3 1/2 feet of his own urine and feces, no water, no food, no hay, no sunlight or fresh air! YEt right outside the stall was a full bale of hay and sack of feed!!!! She told us the feed was just bought the other day, IT was rotten.... that poor horse (name was Jethroe) had to suffer and starve, when his food was only a few feet from his stall. He was sooo hungry, he ate the wood in his stall.

We took him, and in 2 weeks he had gained over 100lbs!!!!! And after his vet check, the "old Nag" as she put it, was only 5 years old.
    I threw up. If the lady hadn't gone to jail, I would have killed her.

Trust me, if the state would grant it, I'd make them pay. I'd have that lady sit in that stall no food no water, and in 3 1/2 feet of her own urine and feces. And make sure there was a nice BIG pizza just out of her reach!

15. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Sam, I hear ya! Eye for an eye is what I say.

I think that people who are convicted of animal cruelty should have to do their rehabilitation/community service HELPING animals. Not necessarily coming into contact with them, but helping at the shelter washing blankets. helping with fundraisers, spayneutur awareness. Something!!

This should be done only after they got a taste of their own medicine.