1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

worms, worms, worms again :(

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by nern, Jan 9, 2005.

1. nern

nern New Member

Richie threw up worms again the other night. :(
    Oddly enough he has been dewormed 3 times with drontal prior to this. I called the vet and they think that my other cats have been infected from Richie and that Richie has now become reinfested. I don't know....I find it strange yet possible. The last time Richie puked up worms I worried that my other cats might be infected but I knew it would be costly to deworm them all so I figured I'd wait until Richie's next recheck and bring in a new stool sample and then take it from there. :? Richie was dewormed twice before he was even introduced to my other cats and yet he still had worms because he puked them up not too long after living with the other cats and the other cats did'nt have worms as far as I was aware because I had taken a stool sample from one of my other 6 before Richie was introduced to them and the sample was worm free. What a mess.
    Well, because it would have been very expensive to worm all mine with drontal my vet gave me Strongid instead so I will have to deworm them all and then do it again in 2wks. They also instructed me to completely empty all the litter boxes every 3-4 days and soak them in bleach each time I do for the next few weeks. I really hope that this will be the end of it. Just venting....

2. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

OH nern, i am so sorry. What a major pain. And poor Richie...like the little guy hasn't been through enough already. My heart goes out to the little guy.

I have a question though concerning stool samples...Do you just dig them out of the litter box, shake them off and put them in a baggie? Don't laugh at me, I just never had to do it before and in case something comes up, I'd like to know the proper proceedure of obtaining a stool sample for my vet.

Wow...what a pain...and wouldn't the bleach scent soak into the plastic? I mean plastic is extremely porous and bleach is toxic. And I know kitty's noses and systems are pretty sensitive. Wouldn't it just be easier and safer to line the boxes with liners? Just a thought.

Hugs to you and all your babies.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

litterboxes can be safely cleaned with bleach. When I have a foster whose been ill I have to bleach nearly everything - including toys (which I don't...easier to throw them away since cat toys are relatively cheap).

Your cats are inside only I believe. He must have been really infested if these meds didn't work. And to be tossing them up - EWWWWWW I've never had a cat do that. I'm sure I'd be tossing my cookies if I came across that :shock:

4. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

i know...throwing up the worms is....ugh...id have a panic attack i think!! lols....

so sorry to hear about richie. such a cute guy....
    yes...bleach is good. i used to do it with my litter box and all the bedding, anything i could get my hands on that max would touch, when he had the giardia...which is a parasite that produces cysts that they reingest.

the stool...well, when max had giardia...i would make sure that i got him right after he went poopie, and wipe his rear end, and wipe his paws with baby wipes. my vet suggested that. because, they reinfest themselves by licking themselves after going....so...months of wiping and cleaning. maybe wiping would help. max got smart to that though, and whenever i would reach for him after he went (cause i would stand there while he went) he would jump real fast out of the litter box and run away....lols...

THAT was a real problem when he had diarrhea to boot!!! so...the diarrhea sometimes would get everywhere...little droplets....lols. ugh... :roll:

5. Bente

Bente New Member

Oh Nern, I'm so sorry for you and Richie :( It sounds like alot of work... I hope he gets rid of thos nasty worms real quick, and that your other kitties don't catch it.

Good luck :y_the_best:

6. vene

vene New Member

Oh no Nern, not worms again! :( *Hugs* Death to all those nasty parsites! :0009: :m36: :m10:

7. nern

nern New Member

Thanks everyone. I just finished giving them all the dewormer and it was easier than I thought. Most of them liked the taste of it and happily licked it as I squirted into their mouths with the syringe. I put Richies right in some canned food and he gobbled it up. I did'nt want to have to restrain him because the last time I did I could'nt get near him again for several weeks.

Yep. I looked for a small peice and brought that in. It did'nt have much litter stuck to it. I'm not sure if that matters though.

I've actually never used bleach before in the boxes. They told me to just use a little diluted with alot of water. I can't use litter liners here. They rip them to shreds and pull them to cover the litter after they go to the bathroom. :(

Yes, all of mine are indoor only...except for Tiddy who only gets to go in the yard or front of the house on a harness occasionally. I think he (Richie) was really infested...I can't believe he still has the worms after being dewormed so many times. :? It is definately not fun to clean up. It really gives me the willies.

Thanks for the tip lynn. I'm not sure that would be possible because I have so many it would be difficult to catch each one after they go each time.