1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Worried mom here...

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Bente, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Bente

Bente New Member

I'm kinda worried about Kyrre right now. He is running around and howling in a strange way... :?
    He's never acted like this before. Could he be in pain, or is it normal behaviour for male cats? I think he is almost a grown-up now :wink: his pee smells more than before.

I'm going to the vets office tomorrow to book an appointment, so he can have his shots... Doy you think it's too soon to get him neutered as well?

2. dolly

dolly New Member

My guess would be that he is looking for a female...how old is he? They can neuter them at a very young age now, I'd ask your vet about that. You mentioned his urine smelled funny--is he spraying or showing any signs of distress in that regard? With males you have to be especially careful about UTI's.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

time to neuter....you may also have a cat in the neighborhood that is in heat and setting him off

4. Bente

Bente New Member

He is almost five months now, but he is not spraying or anything like that. At least not yet 8-[

What are UTI's? :?:

5. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

UTI= urinary track infections. :)

cats usually get fixed at about 6months old give or take. If his urine is starting to smell already then he's alittle ahead of the game maturing wise. Specially if there is a female in heat around that coulda triggered it to happen sooner.

when u go to the vet just ask about it :) good luck!

6. nern

nern New Member

I think now would be a good time to have him neutered if you vet will do it at this age. Ritchie was just neutered last week at 4 1/2 months of age.

7. vene

vene New Member

Neuter time! :m10:

8. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

alittle off topic but not really- since we are talking about neutering, u know my vet said Raz should be done around NINE MONTHS? what kinda crap is that?

9. vene

vene New Member

EF, time to change a vet. :roll:

10. Starry

Starry New Member

I've heard this as well. I think the reasoning is that the earlier male cats are neutered the more likely they are to develop UTIs. Some people even recommend leaving them until they are 18 months old so that they 'fully develop'. Mine were done at six months...

11. Bente

Bente New Member

I went to the vets office yesterday, and the receptionist said that they usually neuter when the cat is 6-7 months, but she didn't think it would be a problem to neuter Kyrre now.

12. nern

nern New Member

Studies done on early spay/neuter have not found this to be true.
    http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/reports ... euter.html

Did you ask him why?
    I know some vets and owners beleive that neutering too early does not allow males to develop certain "manly" features such as large jowls. :?
    I'm pretty sure the early spay/neuter studies also did not find this to be true.

13. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

well i would rather have a cat with small jowls...than a cat that sprayed.... :shock:

so what if hes a little....well...you know... :wink: ...

14. karen_80

karen_80 New Member

EF, that seems to be the general consensus around here - I don't know any of the vets around that will neuter a male before nine months, unless he's a TNR cat. I think they want to be sure that both testicles are descended before they do it, so they don't have to actually open them up and search. If his testicles are descended then I can't see a reason why they wouldn't do him earlier. I couldn't wait with Simon till he was nine months, and we actually lied to the vet :oops: and told her he was older so she'd do his surgery. He was extremely aggressive with the others and his urine was terribly strong (or so they tell me cause I can't smell urine, spray, ammonia or bleach). He still took a while to settle down, tho.

15. Bente

Bente New Member

How come?
    I don't mean to be rude, I'm just curious :oops:

:D

16. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

the last cat i had when i was working at the vets they did when he was 5.5 months old. he was super aggressive tho.

but still.... i think 9 months is alitte old to be waiting... specially since he's living with another male cat.

and right lynn, i dont care about the size of his jowls? (sp) heck he's already a mini sized cat as it goes. i dont think he'll ever look too manly.

i got one last set of shots to worry about, if the vet is still pushing and stuff i'll find another for the opperation.
    did i tell u guys at the last visit he never even ASKED if i wanted to de-worm him again?? He just popped open the package and fed it to Raz with me right there.

i had to ask what he was doing. So that was another 5 bux onto the bill i didnt really consent to. i think the vet is shifty.

17. vene

vene New Member

How about using Karen's vet?

18. Bente

Bente New Member

I agree with Vene. Change your vet EF :m27:

19. karen_80

karen_80 New Member

I wish I knew. I had bronchitis/walking pneumonia with a sinus infection about 8 years ago and ever since then haven't been able to smell anything like that. Weird, eh?