1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

WOW!? APBT or BEAR?!

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by BronxthePit, Sep 28, 2004.

1. BronxthePit

BronxthePit New Member

Howdy,

Had a question for all the pitty owners.

I've owned several different breeds in the past and have never really payed attention to weight until my first purebred pitty. I've been surfing websites and I have noticed something....alot of these dogs are only around 45/50 pounds....that seems really light seeing my 3 month old (4 months in about two weeks), already weighs 30+ pounds!!

heres a pic of him taken last night sleepin on my bed.

[​IMG]

that fan in the background is a little lest than a foot and a half wide.

heres more :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

. At about a month and a half(give or take a few weeks) he was 18 pounds.i'm expecting another growth spurt from him within the next 2-3 months. He still seems little to me but hes a heavy boy. ,evryone says he still looks little to me because i see him everyday, but to them hes gotten huge. I dunno :p do i have a pitbull or a BEAR CUB!?

Whn i get him into his excerise/etc training regiment, should he loose pounds or just gain muscle? My boxer toned up whn i started hers, but again i never payed attention to her weight gain/loss.

2. Sara

Sara New Member

Pit Bull Weight

Pit Bulls should traditionally be only between 40 and 60lbs they really aren't very big dogs and generally shouldn't go over 70lbs at the most... Usually if they're bigger than that most people assume they are crossed somewhere down the line...

The ideal weight of a Pit bull is about 40 lbs...and even to some that's big... I've seen many 35lb Pits... It seems to be kind of a myth that they are large dogs... Ahhhh Ya gotta love the media...

What are your pups bloodlines and all that jazz?

3. MaxKellyAST

MaxKellyAST New Member

Im laughing out loud at that picture of him running, Priceless! :D
    I tend to agree with the above post but he looks good so far and you love him. I only know what the registry standards are, and I tend to think that those should be the ruler by which all else is measured.

AKC weight standard:Height and weight should be in proportion. A height of about 18 to 19 inches at shoulders for the male and 17 to 18 inches for the female is to be considered preferable.

Ambiguous, many draw their own conclusions about what is in proportion.

UKC:The American Pit Bull Terrier must be both powerful and agile so actual weight and height are less important than the correct proportion of weight to height. Desirable weight for a mature male in good condition is between 35 and 60 pounds. Desirable weight for a mature female in good condition is between 30 and 50 pounds. Dogs over these weights are not to be penalized unless they are disproportionately massive or rangy.

A little less mysterious however "desirable" is the key word here.
    Im unsure of the ADBA but I bet its language is loosly similar

4. BronxthePit

BronxthePit New Member

he is daddys little boy :p i can't go anywhere without fatboy following me(great on a leash which makes me happy). the one of him running is him realizing i had ran away to take a picture of him. bloodlines? i honestly would have to go digging for papers.

maybe its just the chisled distingushed look of the Pit Bull. but they look so HEAVY and solid (most). I know he'll prob be a little shorter than my boxer mix

[​IMG]

but much thicker.Shes in the 65/70 pound range. my pittys dad looks a little like this, except hes a dark choclate.

[​IMG]

the above dog is 95 pounds.

5. MaxKellyAST

MaxKellyAST New Member

IMO you boxer mix is a better looking dog. My son just saw the picture of that red nose and said "look at the farmers dog, Why is he sad?"

The dog below does not have a performance look to him. He seems as thogh he wouldnt perform like a working dog should. This ,again IMO, is a good example of "Height and weight should be in proportion" the dog appears to me out of proportion and bred for the single purpose to acheive this "extreme" structure. Overall is it good for the performance and longevity of the dog? Warning: Opinions will vary...

People will continue to pay lots of money to people who selectively breed for those traits.. and in the end its what they wanted so... so what?

6. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Your baby is a very good-looking boy. Man oh man that red dog is huge! I like the bully look but that dog seems Improportionate? :?

7. BronxthePit

BronxthePit New Member

heya,

yeah in all honestly Sierra (my boxer mix) could drag me around a field and then some :D and im 200 pounds. shes very smart(its the boxer in her) when play fighting and in general. While the other dog lunges brainlessly she studies them...dodges and punches them in the face :p its freaking hilarious!!! I've never seen a dog BOX before i got her. But even as strong and toned as she is, my 30+ pound pit baby wears her out, and when shes done he's just getting started.

the red dog in the picture is OLD as dirt, i just used the picture to demonstrate the build of my pittys dad. I agree with ya'lls thoughts, he doesn't look very active. I'm trying to work with that though ,by making my pitty run and exercise alot. but hes still in his growing phase, i just can't keep up with him yet. Sierra is training him to, when i can't exercise him she does. I need to get one of those treadmills. hes a good boy with a strong will to please so my hopes are high. I want him to be like my mix but bigger and stronger. They are our kids and guard dogs.

8. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I think in some previous post you mentioned your dogs sire being huge, so he's probably going to be bigger then most pits. The weights range from about 30-60lbs. However there are ones that are very tiny and others who are very huge. People breed for what they want instead of breed type, fad breeders and bybs changing breeds its not a new thing for any breed. They selectivly breed for those traits. Then there are those who mix in something for size (or even other traits and colors) so you have bloodlines like Whopper, Dagger and Camelot that are mixed lines.

In other breeds like the Boxer you have people mixing in breeds to bring back black boxers or boxers born with bobbed tails.

UKC is a little different, those dogs are usually a little more heavier and bone structure is different. I think its a 1:3 ratio on height to weight. Where ADBA is more like 1:2. The dog being in proportion is the most important thing though no matter the weight, not so much its weight. But if you notice that most bigger dogs are not proportionate.

9. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

I Just love the pic of your dog running. That pic should be framed and hung for all dog lovers its great!!!
    Very pretty dog you have.

10. someday

someday New Member

I love the running picture! those eyes!! :mrgreen:

11. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

That running pic is cute, its a classic. :y_the_best:

I noticed the red nose dog, OMG, its legs are more like tree stumps then legs...lmao. It just reminds me I had these peddlers try to sell me a pup out of something like that. I remember it was Bryants Red Devils, they wanted to sell me some male pup for $500, they emailed me and about 20 billion other people after getting so desprate to sell the thing after all their posting and advertisements. Its not only badly desprate when you go around emailing tons of people trying to get rid of a dog its terribly rude and not in the best interest of the dog. Oh boy I was hot!! The weird shaped pit head with a sad droop face on the freakish body doesn't do much for me, but they were insisting this was such a great pup and the sire was such a great dog, but were so very desprate to sell him, of course they're that way with all their litters! The dam was a pretty decent looking dog, maybe I can find the pic if I still have the email. Its been awhile, but I'll see if I can't find it.

12. BronxthePit

BronxthePit New Member

haha he looks physco in that picture i dont know why everybody loves it hahaha :mrgreen:

13. Angie

Angie New Member

Tank is Crenshaw and Jeep (spelling?)
    He weighs about 80 lbs.
    Do those bloodlines have traits of being bigger?
    [​IMG]

14. MaxKellyAST

MaxKellyAST New Member

That is a good example of a well proportioned heavier Dog!

15. Angie

Angie New Member

Shianne weighs about 70 lbs.

[​IMG]

16. BronxthePit

BronxthePit New Member

now see IMO those are ideal pitbulls. 70-95 pounds of well built ...Porportioned dog. What good is a 125 pound pitbull that is so big that he's sluggish. Gorgeous Dogs peeps. I love brown pits.

17. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

One thing thats too bad is you don't see too many proportioned dogs that are that size, a lot of 95lbs dog sluggish, unproportioned and exhuast easy. Its a gem to find one who doesn't. I sw one that was about 80lbs and it was just as proportioned and correct as a 50lbs dog. It had energy and moved like a Pit Bull.

[​IMG]
    Whopper was 120lbs
    Not really an "ugly" dog though, he didn't look too bad.

[​IMG]
    Santana's g-sire @ 75lbs
    Maybe he has a little bit of Whoppers traits?

[​IMG] [​IMG] Her uncle 58lbs

[​IMG]
    Here is Bettes' Bighead He's not too proportioned, his head is just too small for his body...lol He was 80lbs.

[​IMG]

Lol yup thats why I love it....crazy eyes.

That line doesn't usually carry traits of being bigger. Jeep dogs are usually 40-50lbs. But some can be bigger just like any other line especially when outcrossed I know one who's about 68lbs. What does his pedigree look like? He doesn't look like a pure Jeep dog (to me). He's the one I liked before and he definatly looks proportionate and purebred, interesting markings too.

18. GinaH

GinaH New Member

I always wondered how Izzy was bred and what her bloodlines might be she was such a beautiful girl. She weighed 73 lbs her last vet visit before she passed.

[​IMG]

19. MaxKellyAST

MaxKellyAST New Member

Izzy appears to have some AmStaff qualities.

20. BronxthePit

BronxthePit New Member

G'Dang! :shock:

Whopper is the type of dog you do not want to meet in a dark alley! HE IS NICCCCEEEEEEE :y_the_best:

I dont think Bronx (my pitty baby) is going to be THAT BIG though(although that would be awesome)..i think hes going to fall along the lines of Santana's g sire. If he continues at his current rate of growth he'll be 60 pounds at 5/6 months of age. thinking he'll finish off about 75-85 by the time hes a year old. Dunno unlike most people i hate the puppy phase..they are cute and all but i the nice big full grown dog.

and i agree izzy looks AST (still a pit in my eyes). AST's look more distingushed/proper IMO.