1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

wow - this place is dying!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by halaroo, Mar 30, 2007.

1. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Where has everyone been? Let's liven things up around here. Post your life and pet updates ....

My maternity leave officially ends this Friday. Sniff. I'll still stay at home but I'll need to start working about 15-20 hours a week so we can survive on just one full-time income. I love being a stay-at-home mom!

The cats breakfast time has been pushed back to 10:45AM since it's the only way Artemis will not bug me before 6AM. I used to feed them when I got out of bed, but Artemis realized that the earlier he woke me up, the earlier he got breakfast. He was starting to bug me at 4:30! He is much better behaved now. But the poor things pace and follow me around all morning until I feed them.

The weather has been beautiful here this past week. The cats have been getting outside once a day with Amelia and I. I'm looking forward to it getting even nicer so we can spend a good chunk of the day in the backyard.

We're heading to the Dominican Republic in 2 weeks for vacation. I'll need to find a cat sitter for the week. I was thinking about boarding them, but they'll both be much happier at home, even with someone only visiting once a day.

And, it's Amelia's first birthday in a week! My baby is no longer a baby. :cry: She's getting really good with the cats. She still makes them a little nervous, Moe especially stays away, but she's getting better.

That's it in Moe and Artemis Land. How's everything in your kitties' worlds?

2. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

wow! Amelia's already nearly a year old? It doesn't seem that long ago that you were posting pics of her when she was so tiny! Gracie always gets a cat sitter when I go anywhere (of course, since I have 8 other animals, it's just easier and cheaper) and she loves it. She's always excited when I get home, but I think she enjoys it more than if I were to board her and she had to stay in a cage, no matter how big.

Gracie is doing well, just got moved up to the senior food when I realized how old she was. In the last months she has become much more affectionate, always wanting to be petted and actually going so far as to jump into my lap a couple of times.

She's learning to sit on command, and come up and get down. She now follows me into the bathroom constantly for a drink, and behaves more like a dog than a cat, lol. She has finally (after 3 years) decided that Ranger (1 dog) is not so terrible, but that Snickers (the other dog) still is.

3. halaroo

halaroo New Member

That's neat to hear she's learning commands. I fully believe that cats understand English (or whatever language you speak) but pretend not to.

How old is Gracie now?

4. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

haha, oh yes she understands. people think i'm crazy when i say i have conversations with her, but she talks, a lot, lol.

she turned 7 in the fall, but time has flown, it doesn't seem that i have had her for 7 years.

5. Bente

Bente New Member

Great post Halaroo! Maybe it's the spring, or maybe we're just lazy, but we need a little kick in the butt to get us going sometimes.

Everything is like it has been the last year or so here in Norway. Kyrre is still an indoor cat, and seems happy with that. I actually tried to take him outside on a leash yesterday, but he was so frightened by the people standing outside our door, that he just ran back inside. He has always been a bit shy :wink: I might give it another try a late evening, when I know theres no strangers outside.

Other than that my boyfriend is moving in with me in May. I can't wait :eek: We have been together for over a year now, but he lives down south, so we have been traveling back and forth all this time. It's a ten hour trip by train (can't afford to fly) :shock:
    This will be good for Kyrre as well, because I know he gets lonley when I visit my bf. My roommate takes care of him when I'm not here, but she doesn't spend time whith him the same way meowmy does :wink:

Some pictures I took yesterday:

[​IMG]
    Enjoying the sun :)

[​IMG]
    "You disturbed my beautysleep!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

It's nice to hear all your stories. Wow, Amelia is a year old. Time goes so fast.

The board does seem to be slow lately. I think to post something but than can't think of a topic. I think to post a picture of my kitties but don't really have any good ones right now.

Socks and Mittens are fine. I'm still keeping them in, too. It's been hard but I keep thinking of all the dangers out there that that keeps me in check. I think Mittens misses being outside but Socks seems to care less.

We have taken Mittens out a couple of times with a harness and leash. When we bring her back in, she just keeps wanting to go out for several hours. She gets a little taste of the outside but then has to come in again. Poor kitty.

7. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Thanks for the replies so far! Now where are vene, Chessmind, Mary, nern, Lucidity, Lunaguy, Cassie and all the other regulars?

Bente - great to hear you're moving in with your boyfriend. I love Kyrre's pictures, as always. What a great place to laze around all day in!

Sunset - Poor Socks! She'll learn to deal with it though. Moe used to be the same way. Now she knows her boundaries outside (on her harness, of course) and just likes to have the option of going out. She usually wants back in within 3 minutes!

I'm starting another thread to get some more conversation going too. Keep posting!

8. vene

vene New Member

The board has been slow. It's hard to type when I'm chasing after my 4 year old and 18 month old around the house or typing with one hand. The other hand is usually holding the baby. :mrgreen:

I'm glad everyone is doing well. We are too, thanks for asking. The cats have accepted the kids and even allow them to pet them at will especially Pumpkin, the oldest furbaby resident.

Now that spring is here the kitties sunbathe in the sunroom all the time and the kids are enjoying the outdoors.

We are planning a short trip to Disney World next month. Can't wait. :mrgreen:

Bente, those pics are awesome! I love the window views! Kyrre is as handsome as ever!

Halaroo, have a fun and safe trip! :eek:

9. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

vene is probably chasing her kids around cause they are o'ding on NH maple syrup.
    I've also been busy - work, fostering, family, got myself STUPIDLY voted to the Supervisor of the Checklist for our town...help teach a college course one evening/week. I'm not going to be a good empty nester. My youngest son turned 18 a couple of weeks ago and he is a senior in high school so I've been working on filling the void. Been a parent since I was 19!!! Not sure how to be an adult with no kids in the house - suppose I could converse with DH but I have just as stimulating conversations with my computer monitor :mrgreen:
    Molly dog was also caught in the pet food recall but doing fine now. I think my pet paranoia helped....I had her vetted as soon as the leaking and excessive drinking started. This was mid-February. My vet was stumped and even after urinalysis and bloodwork he still didn't know what was going on cause she's so young. Pet food recall happened and we knew. But she's fine.
    Cats are fine also - they didn't eat any recalled foods. I shudder to think of Missy having had any cause she's so tiny and pushing geezerhood.
    And a weird thing happened - hope I am not boring you. I was home sick w/the flu one day and an elderly lady called me looking to adopt a Siamese cat. I explained how rescue works. She said something about missing the siamese, Missy, she'd had 10 years ago. I FLEW off the sofa and yelled into the phone "I ADOPTED MISSY AND YOU CAN'T HAVE HER BACK". Was really strange.
    Got 2 fosters coming in tomorrow from a spay/neuter trap/release situation. I was going to take a break cause we are getting ready to put our house on the market to sell. But no rest for the wicked I guess :lol:
    That's where I am right now......next

10. vene

vene New Member

And the cat swap with Mary is the best ever. The cats fight over the cat toys- tons of them- mice toys, tunnel toy, pi bed, and the people and kids fight over the NH maple syrup which is to die for. Yummy! I have it under lock and key, hey, hey, hee hee. :mrgreen: It's mine, all mine! :eek:

11. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. :D I do come here daily. I was going to post some pics of my babies, but the upload failed at snapfish. I'll try again tomorrow. I can't believe it's only 9:00 pm and I'm ready to sleep! Welcome to parenthood, huh?

12. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

This is a great thread, halaroo.

Mary - I can sympathize about being an empty nester. When my youngest went to college I had a very hard time with the empty nest thing...and my daughter went to a local college but stayed on campus. Saw her every weekend, though. I cried a lot. You do get used to it after awhile and it isn't so bad.

vene - you should post a picture of your great kitty stuff from Mary.

Chessmind - can't wait to see your pictures.

Everyone else - loved reading your posts and hope everyone who is going away enjoys their trips.

13. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Isn't it fun to have us all chatting again?

Bente - I just realized that Kyrre looks an awful lot like my neighbours' cat. This is Meeko. I take care of him whenever my neighbours go away, and they take care of my guys when I go away.

[​IMG]

Vene - have a good time in Florida! Andrew and Lisa are going to have so much fun!

14. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Hi everyone! My mom (Sunset) told me about this thread and saidI had to check in.

So, I'm checking in.

I'm glad everyone's doing well. I've been crazy busy. I used to come to this board while at work taking a break. It's been so hectic that I can barely catch my breath! I don't usually go online on the weekends but I made an exception for this!

All five of my kitties are good. Tash is getting mean in his old age. He likes to attack his siblings with no reason. But, it's fairly rare and they all get along most of the time.

I remember telling everyone on this board that I got Kitters (the 5th cat - the Bengal / Maine Coon mix). Well, she is two years old now! She's still crazy and I love her to death.

Speaking of ages, I can't believe Amelia is turning a year old! That's crazy. My husband and I are going to try for kids this spring! I can't wait! I'm working on some debt before we have kids. That way I can either quit or go part time. I'd love to stay at home and raise children.

Oh yes, Sunset (aka mom), it's sad that you said you cried all the time when I left! I knew it was hard but I still didn't want to make you sad.

Mary, my mother and I still see each other regularly and I left the nest 10 years ago. I hope that you don't have too many problems with the empty nest and that you can have a good realationship during the college years.

I've rambled enough. I'll check back soon!

15. nern

nern New Member

I'm checking in too. :D

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. All the babies are growing up so quickly!

I've been pretty busy lately... I have 4 Weddings this year! :? And I'm standing up in 2 of the weddings (which are only 6wks apart) so I've been busy with shower-preps, showers, fittings and upcoming bachelarette parties.

In addition to that, I've been assisting a local dog trainer with group classes and doing lots of training with my own dog....she passed the Canine Good Citizen test last Sunday. :eek:

The cats are doing well...they sure are enjoying watching the birds out the window. The other day they were all lined up at the kitchen window, completely focused on the birds that almost appear to be intentionally taunting them. LOL. :mrgreen:

16. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

I'm still here. Just been busy with life stuff and such. I promise to be more active!

17. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

It's so good hearing from everyone.

lucidity - I didn't think that maybe you would be reading this thread when I posted about crying a lot when you went to college. Don't worry about it. I think it is just a normal thing mom's go through.

18. halaroo

halaroo New Member

=P~ Nice to hear from so many of you! I'm glad I started this thread.

nern - Congrats to Natalie (I assume it was Natalie) for becoming a Canine Good Citizen!

Lucidity - Good luck with your baby making (that sounds kind of weird...)! You'll love having a little human running around with your kitties. I know I'm loving it!

19. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. Well, here are my two wonderful babies. :mrgreen: The first pic is of my son, Liam. He is 7 months. The second pic is of my daughter Kira. She is 18 months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. halaroo

halaroo New Member

They are so cute! Liam looks like such a happy baby and Kira has beautiful blue eyes!

There are brand new pictures of my sweetie up, if anyone wants to check them out.