1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

"wrist" sprain - not healing

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by akitasmile, Jul 1, 2005.

1. akitasmile

akitasmile New Member

Hi,
    I used to come here all the time then got busy or someting and now I can't even remember what my login name was! Anyway I have an akita cross named Tyson, almost 10, got him from the SPCA and love him terribly. 1 month ago he broke a bone in his paw, vet said it would heal because it was splinted by the nearby bones, (took x-rays at the time), now the bone seems oK, no swelling but the 'wrist' joint is kind of misshapen and swollen. No pain, I've squeezed it hard and he doesn't even blink. Does anyone know anything about sprains? From what i've read they sound very serious. He's limping badly still (although I just read tonight that they're not supposed to move around much at all with a sprain, unfortunately he can't go out w/out going up stairs). the vet is expensive i'm dreading going back but I will if I have to. Anyway thanks for your help....
    -Tess

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Have yopu had recent x-rays taken (I know you mentioend the expense), I was a little confused as you say it was actually a break and not a sprain originally, sometimes if a fracture isnt perfectly aligned when the splint goes on it will still heal but the bone usually just 'fixes' itself around it the fracture...builds up (calcifies) and you will be able to feel it, it doesnt always fix perfectly either, so they can look a little distorted, twisted. Also if the fracture is aligned its possible to 'slip' after the splint has been placed, splints usually stay on for at least 4 weeks usually around 6-8 weeks, then recheck xrays are done prior to the splint coming off or if theres a problem. Cage rest is also strongly recommended and using the leg as little as possible, I know thats tough when your going up and down stairs especially with a larger dog, I would have the vet take another x-ray and examine everything....tissue around the bone, check everything is moving correctly etc. Keep in mind though that at 10 years old the bones and injuries in general may not be healing as well as they used.

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

he may have rebroke the bone. I say this because a few years ago my dog fractured her front baby toe, and she had to wear a cast all the way up to her chest for 4 weeks, she broker her cast while we were traveling, the vet on the road just taped it, well that didnt workl, it wasnt healed enough and she re-injured it, my vet put the cast back on and she had had to wear it for another 4 weeks. I am wondering of it wasnt properly set in the first place because my vet said these injuries are very hard to heal and that the cast was essential, and the other vet was wrong to just tape it.

hope she gets better soon

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If I'm reading the original post correctly, the vet didn't splint or cast the fracture. He claimed the other bones would hold it in place. I'm guessing it healed badly. :(

I can't believe he didn't recommend crate rest, especially since he didn't cast or splint it!!

5. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Your right Jamiya....I missed that :oops:

Either way, recheck, re-xray, sounds like its not in place. I am surprized it wasnt splinted.

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

It can be quite expensive to get x-rays done, and if they have to do something like re-break it and fix it right this time it will be even costlier. I think I would be inclined to bring him back in to be checked and point out to the vet that he is in this condition because he didn't splint it in the first place and see if he won't either fix it for free or at least reduce his rates. That's ridiculous. :(

7. akitasmile

akitasmile New Member

Yes, I was a little surprised too that there was no splinting or casting involved...it wasn't a clean break, I saw the x-ray (taken 1 month ago) and the crack was just along the side of one of the 'metatarsals'? She said the three bones beside it would hold it straight and no walks for 3 weeks. I think he broke it by stepping into a gopher hole while running due to where we were and the location of the break - which was what made me think something might be wrong at the joint. They didn't even suggest that might be possibility but said to bring him back if he didn't improve in a week. But he DID improve, then he kind of stalled. I'm going to my hometown for holidays in a couple of days - planned to take him to the vet there - and my car's in the shop todya, last day I could've taken him to the original vet!! I htink you're right that I should've gone back earlier. Ah well at this point I'll have to 'suck it up' and pay up!! thanks for your thoughts!