1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

yellow water

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by pendek, Sep 7, 2004.

1. pendek

pendek New Member

Hi I've got three red belly piranhas in a 20 gallon tank, and i just put in a piece of drift wood for decoration. since then the water has been turning a bit yellow, any tips on how to fix this or why its happening?

2. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Well its probaly the wood you just put in, Did you wash it off when you got it? Did you find it or is it store bought?

3. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea, wood has tannins in it which will turn the water a yellowish brown...it is completely harmless, but unsiughtly....i would suggest taking out the wood and letting it soak somewhere else for a few weaks or until most tannins are out of it before replacing it back in the tank.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

A agree it's probably just the driftwood leeching tannins, but it would be a good idea to check the ammonia level too just in case. 20 gallons really isn't large enough for 3 piranhas. If they're just babies, it will be okay for a while, but you'll eventually need a larger tank.

-Chelle

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

yep its the wood

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I agree with the above and please get a bigger tank.

7. pendek

pendek New Member

i will probably wait till they get bigger and then keep the best one and release the two others into the river by my house. thanks for the help.

8. tina1

tina1 New Member

wow great way to protect your local environment :roll: And people wonder why its illegal to own pirahnas in most states :roll: :roll:

9. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

DUDE, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT RELEASING YOUR PIRANHAS INTO THE WILD :x ....PPL DO THIS AND IT ENDS UP HURTING/RUINING THE ECO-SYSTEM AND HAVING OTHER AFFECTS ON HOBBYISTS SUCH AS THE FISH BEING BANNED FROM AN AREA. IF ANYTHING SELL/GIVE THEM TO A LFS OR A FRIEND, JUST DONT EVER LET ANY NON-NATIVE SPECIES FREE.

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Releasing non-native fish is ILLEGAL. Give it to the LFS, but do NOT dump it into the local stream.

-Chelle

11. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

its illegal here in fl. They wont allow them cause ppl let them in the lakes.

12. pendek

pendek New Member

relax guys, i was kidding

13. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Well don't kid around here like that, people here really care about fish and their enviroment and we are more than happy to answer any questions about fish and such that you may have, just don't get everyone worked up like that because that IS a big deal about releasing them into the wrong enviroment...