1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Yet Another 'is this a Pit Bull' post from a new member

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by pgtr, Sep 11, 2004.

1. pgtr

pgtr New Member

Hello,

Just registered and have been meaning to post for a long time. Finally got around to it. 'Drifter' dropped in about a year ago - he was super skinny, awfully hungry, flea infested and some 'wear and tear' I needn't get into. He got into the cat food out back and kinda sorta stayed ever since. I ran ads in the paper and a big sign on the road but nobody claimed him so I ended up getting him his shots and putting in a run for him.

Now what I've always been curious about is just what kind of dog is he??? I'm no dog expert but I see some things in him that suggest he's a Pit and other times I look at some pictures and figure at best he's a mix. It doesn't really matter to me personally but given the stereotypes of 'pit bulls' and other breeds in society - it comes up enough that I'd like some 2nd opinions on Drifter.

He's about 45 lbs and the dark areas are what I guess you call 'brindle'. He's perhaps 2 yrs old. He's very energetic and playful, affectionate, responded very well to obediance training, quickly housebroken and in general knows what his boundaries are. Loves to play w/ neighbors dogs. I haven't been able to induce an iota of food agression out of him or see any other signs of problem behavior around people, dogs or food.

Some non-expert folks think he's a mix, others pit and others, something else. (the vet could only guess at a mixed pit) So what do you think? Pit, Mix? Something else entirely?

I'll try and get a better color picture of him up but this is the best one I have for now (BW).

thanks,
    [​IMG]

2. GinaH

GinaH New Member

He's beautiful! It's so hard to say by looking at a picture, but he sure does look to me like he has Pit bull in him or AmStaff. He looks more pure than some Pit Bulls whom I have seen that were being passed off as pure bred. By the way Welcome to the forum!
    Here are pictures of my dogs.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v338/reginaha/

3. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Welcome!! Drifter is one Handsome guy!! He looks like he's pretty much Pit to me. Maybe a little bit of Boxer.

4. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I think he looks like he has Pit Bull in him. Cute guy.

5. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

He is a handsome dog. It's hard to tell from that pic if he is mixed. If you can get a pic of him standing, preferably from the side, it might be a little easier to judge.

6. pgtr

pgtr New Member

Thanks folks - you're too kind! I kinda wondered about boxer/pit mix myself...? Thanks for the pic references - and great looking dogs too. I'm looking at those and also at others from before. To me Drifter has broad shoulders, muscled hind legs and pronounced jawline but perhaps to a tad lesser degree than a pure pit should. The hind quarters and ears also seem to say Boxer to me.

I goofed on the obedience training - I chose to skip any sort of Stand-Stay command and now all he wants to do is either Sit or Down if I'm working with him so it doesn't work to well for shooting an image! :roll: So pardon the sloppy images - best I could do this evening. That first BW picture was just one of those pix that 'happened' from many months back. But I've never really 'tried' to take any pics per se till now.

Here's a few more - even though I taught him not to jump up - he sure likes to be held!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Oh my gosh he just so Darn Cute! :kiss_puppy:

8. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I dont know what to say about his breed but he is just so cute! I cant tell but does he have a tail? I think I see it wagging in one pic but it may be going to fast to pick up! I would say I see pit in him but I am probly not the best judge and failed that little test someone posted here a while back where you had to pick the pit bull out of the group!

9. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

He is a very cute dog, sweet looking. I think its possible he could be a pit/boxer mix. His body shape/build is kind of that of a Boxer. I think he definatly has pit ears though.

10. pgtr

pgtr New Member

OK one final shot I took this morning outside on leash - not a great shot but this one gives a good isometric view from front & side. Oh and he's got a tail but it's usually in a 'blur' as you can see - he's always much happier than the day he showed up last year.

Even though I may not ever be exactly sure what he is (other than a fun baby) I'll probably still follow along with things on this board if that's OK. And I really appreciate folks HONEST opinions on this subject. I'm not looking to prove or rationalize anything, he's obviously not for show or breeding or competition of any sort - just a family pet. But given the stereotyping I've noticed from some folks - just wanted some honest opinions of his background from folks more in the know than I.

[​IMG]

11. Angie

Angie New Member

You can see his tail in the close up pic of his head

12. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I see it now didnt even notice on that one thanks angie! He certainly is a happy boy!

13. Meg04

Meg04 New Member

He is very cute!!!!!!!! I love his coloring. I have a pit/boxer mix that I adopted from the sheltor almost one year ago. Her coloring is different from yours but they look alike in the face. I will have my husband help me post pictures soon so you can see.

14. heaven

heaven New Member

LOOKS LIKE MY PUPPY WHEN SHE WAS YOUNGER, JUST DIFFERENT COLORS AND SHE'S A PIT/SHEPARD MIX[/img]

15. BronxthePit

BronxthePit New Member

Howdy

Howdy,

uhm..imo it seems like it could have bulldog blood (his build/chest), but i dont know about pitbull. I hve a boxer/pit mix and a purebred pit. Dunno i can't place his Face/skull shape..i've never seen one like it before. You can usally call a boxer by the shape the torso to hinds takes. its a distinct curve.. .............. DEF a bulldog mix though...but with what else????