1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

YOUNG RED BELLY QUESTIONS?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by RedBellyMike, Jun 17, 2004.

1. RedBellyMike

RedBellyMike New Member

HEY. I JUST GOT ONE RED BELLY LIKE TWO DAYS AGO. HES ONLY LIKE MAYBE INCH, INCH AND HALF LONG. NOT TO BIG YET. I HAVE BEEN JUST GIVING HIM FLAKES BUT I KNOW THATS NOT SATISFYING HIM SO IVE ALSO READ BLOOD WORMS AND BRINE ARE THE WAY TO GO. BUT MY QUESTION IS IS THAT FOOD RIGHT FOR HIM? WILL HE EVENTUALLY KILL THE 2 1/2 - 3 INCH GOURAMI I ALREADY HAD IN THE TANK? WHEN WE GETS BIGGER SINCE HES ONLY IN A 10 GALLON SHOULD I FOR SURE MOVE HIM TO A 30 GALLON? AND LASTLY SHOULD I GET ANOTHER ONE SO HES NOT LONELY OR IS THAT JUST STUPID? (BY THE WAY IF I WERE TO GET ANOHER ONE IT WOULD BE WAY SMALLER THEN HIM, WILL HE EAT IT? ) THANK YOU.

2. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

redbellies are WAY TOO small for a 10g tank.. They love live foods and they can grow to some extent. So since u have a 30g tank.. In my humble opinion, I suggest you place him in it.. Since your gourami is larger than your redbelly, I don't think he will kill it in the meantime. But its a matter of time before it gets killed..Anyway, piranhas like the company of each other but not other species. Perhaps you might want to buy 1 more as a companion..But in my opinion, piranhas will nip smaller fishes fin..But something's for sure. Your redbelly is too small for a 30g tank. Good luck..

3. EnFuego

EnFuego New Member

If you add only one more piranha to the aquarium they will see each other as competitors and one will most likely kill the other one off. Red Belly Piranhas get aroun 12 inches when fill grown so that 10 gallon is way too small. The 30 gallon would last for a while (they grow about an inch a month for the first 6 months, then about an inch a year until full grown). I would suggest either putting the one in the 30 gallon, or buying 2 more and put them in a 55 or 75 gallon tank. If you are going to add more piranhas add at least 2 more as it will be a shoal (group), and they will get along much better than if you only try to keep 2 in a tank together. Adult Piranhas need roughly 20 gallons each. Also eventually all the other non-piranha fish will most likely be eaten. It might not be right away, but someday they will.

Something else to think about is that piranha are quite skittish unless in a group of at least 3, so if you keep only one don't expect it to be a very outgoing fish.

Brine Shrimp, Blood worms, ghost shrimp, and krill are all good food for them. I found that krill works great.

4. stefan

stefan New Member

Within 2 months you will get problems if you don't switch tank. Feed them al kinds of insects when they are yung.

5. RedBellyMike

RedBellyMike New Member

hey thanks guys. how will i be getting problems though? my friend has his red belly piranha in a ten gallon for a few months now and it seems to be going great. thanks again please wrtie back

6. pacumanzxc

pacumanzxc New Member

Large tank definately needed

With a red-belly pacu you will need a larger tank for sure. Visit this site for tons of info regarding the raising of pacu: http://www.postring.net/pacu/

7. RedBellyMike

RedBellyMike New Member

i dont have red belly pacu i have red belly piranhas.
    so ill re say the questions. so i shouldbuy two more piranhas? i got the biggest one from the store so the other two will be smaller . and also my friend has had his one piranha in a 10g for a while and its seems to be doing fine? thnak you please answer me.