1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

3SICK KITTENS AND NO FUNDS

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by M3WHITECATS, May 26, 2004.

1. M3WHITECATS

M3WHITECATS New Member

i HAVE 3 WONDERFUL WHITE KITTENS, WHICH IN THE LAST 3 DAYS HAVE BEEN THROWING UP AND HAVE TERRIBLE DIARRHEA. I HAVE BEEN GIVING THEM PEDIALIGHT TO KEEP THEM HYDRATED, THEY REALLY ARNR EATING MUCH AT ALL BUT THEY ARE STILL RUNNING AROUND AND PLAYING. THEY ARE JUST SLIGHTLY LESS ACTIVE THAN NORMALAND THEY ARE 6 WEEKS OLD. THERE IS NO WAY I CAN AFFORD TO TAKE THEM TO THE VET. I WAS JUST HOPING SOMEONE OUT THERE COULD GIVE ME SOME INFORMATION ON HOW I CAN HELP THEM PULL THROUGH THIS ILL JUST BE BROKEN HEARTED IF I LOSE THEM. ALSO THIER MOTHER IS A CALICO \W COMMON IS IT FOR A CALICO MOM TO HAVE SNOW WHITE KITTENS AND 1 OF HTEM HAS BLUE EYES, AS FAR ASWE CAN TELL SHE CAN HEAR FINE. I READ AN ARTICLE NOT TO LONG AGO ABOUT HOW 60 TO 70 OF WHYTE CATS WITH BLUE EYES ARE DEAF. ANY INFO ON HOW TO PULL MY KITTIES THROUGH WOULD BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED THANK YOU

2. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

If you can't afford to take them to the vet then you have no business having any animals. Cats need regular vet care even when they aren't sick.

The best thing you can do for them is to contact your local animal shelter or rescue organization and they will take them in and provide them with the proper vet care. It is animal cruelty to not provide vet care to sick animals - again if it is a monetary issue then you shouldn't have them.

3. nern

nern New Member

Maybe you can call around and see if one of the vet's in your area will allow you to take the kittens in and work out a payment plan? If not, I would call your local human society to see if they can help you.

4. M3WHITECATS

M3WHITECATS New Member

KITTENS AND NO FUNDS TO ELIZAVIXON

THE LAST THING I WOULD EVER DO IS ALLOW THESE KITTENS TO SUFFER. I AM ALREADY BEING ADVISED BY 2 WONDERFUL LADIES WHO DO FOSTER CARE FOR CATS THROUGH THE HUMANE SOCIETY. IF I HAD TO I WOULD TAKE THEM THERE FOR TREATMENT . THEY ARE STILL VERY ACTIVE AND I AM KEEPING THEM HYDRATED DAY AND NIGHT. i JUST WONDERED IF ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO MIGHT HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE SAME THING OR ANYONE WHO MIGHT KNOW ANY TIPS OR INFO THAT MIGHT JUST GIVE US A BETTER CHANCE OF THIS ILLNESS NOT PROGRESSING TO THE POINT WHERE THEY HAD TO BE TAKEN IN. I AM A VERY STRONG BELIEVER IN ANIMAL RIGHTS AND SUPPORT NON CRUELTY TO ANIMALSWITH ALL MY BEING. EVEN THOUGH IT WOULD BREAK MY HEART I WOULD NEVER EVER LET THESE BABIES SUFFER. I DONT APPRECIATE SUCH A HARSH RESPONSE WHEN I WAS JUST ASKING IF ANYONE HAD ANY INFO TO HELP MY 3 WHITE KITTENS

5. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I can tell you obviously really care for these kitties or else you wouldn't be here asking for advice. As Nern said, some vets will help you out with payment options so be sure to ask if it comes to that point. I would call a vet just to find out what you can do for them right now to hopefully speed up the recovery process. Also tell them your financial situation and see what they say. The vets I know are all very compassionate people!

Good luck and please keep us all posted. Post some pictures for us (we all love ooohhing and aaahhhing over everyone's cats)!

6. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

6 wk old kittens who have been throwing up and having terrible diarrhea for 3 days need to get to a vet immediately.

Even if they weren't sick, kittens need to go to a vet to get a checkup and their annual vaccines and need to be spayed/neutered. Unfortunately all of this costs money. If you can't afford to even bring in your kittens when they are ill, I take it you can't afford for regular vet care either, and therefore you shouldn't have 3 kittens.

It is not about how much you love your cats, I'm sure you do. I love all my animals too and would love to have several cats but I don't because it is not financially possible for me.

If you thought my reply was harsh then I'm sorry but I get frustrated when people have animals when they cannot take care of them. It's bad enough to have one that you can't take care of, but to have 3 innocent kittens who obviously need care, and to deny them that care and not take them to people who would give them care, well there is just no excuse for that in my opinion.

7. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

ditto eliza. not being able to afford one kitten, ok thats fine you might have miscalculated the cost of a kitten. 2 kittens, not acceptable but 2 is better than 3. 3 kittens, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? did you get these 3 kittens or do you own the calico and it had kittens? if you purchased these 3 kittens then you are mad. if the calico is yours then spay it. now that you are stuck with these kittens i suggest you take them to a shelter for treatment. i highly doubt a normal vet clinic will give you medical care for 3 kittens for free.

:roll:

8. M3WHITECATS

M3WHITECATS New Member

3 sick kittens and no funds

OK, heres the situation, a few months back one of the families in my apartment complex were evicted. They had 3 adolesent cats , 2 calicos females Calley and freckles) and one grey and white cat (male Stevie) Sad but true this family had nowhere to go, so they left there cats behind. I being the biggest softie, sucker what ever you want to call it (stupid) couldnt stand to see these beautiful loving cats so lost and scared so they came to live with us. I already had 2 yes 2 of my own and had just nursed one back to health from a spider bite turned into an absess on her hip .
    we were so happy she had recovered only to have her just up and disappear not long after our new arrivals. My signifiicate other and I are both on social security disability and after the rent we make sure we can feed our cats and have what they need for the month almost before anything else, now if thats rediculis to anyone you are certaiinly allowed your opinion. In these times that we live in animals are at the worlds mercy and these cats bring us so much joy, love, humor and happiness that I just cant not care for them. Now dont get me wrong Im not going to take in anymore cats anytime soon for sure but we all just kind of happen and in the midst of it all Calley got pregnant. Freckles also appeared very pregnant but it turns out she had a sympathy pregnancy, producing milk and has been the kittens second mom since they were born. so theyve been lucky having 2 loving moms. I have had Stevie fixed already and the 2 moms are next and then the yougsters before they go to there new homes. One of the ladies that fosters sick kittens for the humane society is helping me to make all this happen. She is a god send . So Im rather involve in a payment plan and soon to be a bigger plan. Its not like Im a total idiot ,it all just happened to fast. So thats my story, sorry to get every one all riled up, I just wanted some info on helping my babies more than I already am. I knoww there is someone out there who has had sick kittys and has had sucess in thier recovery. SOMEONE?! P. S. no one has thrown up today and they have been playing more and getting into trouble :D m3whitecats

9. lil96

lil96 New Member

So ok I confused how many of your original cats do you have? And how many others? Because I really suggest putting them on an adoption list somewhere. That is alot of cats!! and it shouldn'T matter how much money you make if you have an open heart you should be able to take care of animals, but unfortunately that isn'T true, I have had some very sad things happen in my life bc I didn'T have enough money to take care of my animals. So remember next time it might be better to immediately take the animals to a shelter or somewhere they can help. Also can the shelter lady help you with any of them being sick, you said she could help you with spaying them, maybe if you asked she could help with making them better?

10. russianbluefanatic

russianbluefanatic New Member

all opinions aside..... ( and I know how hard it is to have many cats expecially if they get sick) the main question here is what can be done for the kittens.
    Question : do any of the adults have diarrhoea also ? vomiting ?
    first find the cause of the illness - bacterial, viral, or dietry ?
    if it is viral or bacterial, they need medicine - fast
    if its dietry, it could be caused by the kittens getting used to solid food ( I assume they are experimenting with solid food at this age.)
    They need to have their guts 'rested' and a healthy balance of gut flora replacing what has been lost.
    hydration is VERY important, it is good that you have that part covered. Any vet approved rehydration therapy is good, but what I find best and fastest is subcutaneous fluid ( under the skin ) which only a vet ( or nurse ) can provide.
    These kittens need a VERY bland diet to rest the intestinal tract. No rich foods such as tinned food or spiced or flavoured meats. NO DAIRY PRODUCTS ( most cats are lactose intolerant) They need plain cooked chicken or a vet approved intestinal diet such as Hills Science Diet Feline i/d tinned or dry.
    the vomiting does worry me however, but if you say this has now stopped, perhaps you are on the upswing of the problem.

gut flora can be replenished with PROTEXIN powder ( from your vet ) or plain cultured yogurt, its the accidophilis that helps the gut.

All these things are costly. but if you are really strapped for cash, you can try plain boiled chicken ( served with the water ) in small and frequent meals, small amounts of live plain yogurt ( smear a little on their tongues if they wont eat it) , plenty of fluids, clean litter trays / beds and lots of bottom baths, and ....... PRAYER.

11. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Look, I see this problem alot, and manytimes thats why animals end up on my door step. If you can't afford it, and you love them as much as you say you do. Then give them a chance at life. Take them to the animal shelter and let their vets help them out. You don't have to surrender them. Manytimes the shelters offer low cost vet assistance.

But lets get back to reality here. All animals need regular checkups with the vet like we do with our dr.'s. Honestly its not fair to the animals if they can't get teh assistance they need.

And more often than not, your gonna end up with this problem more times than you want. You can't afford to have them spayed, so their going to keep reproducing, inbreeding. You can't afford to vaccinate, So if one contracts the feline luke. their gonna spred it, sooner or later your really going to have a problem here.

We aren't here to bash you or make you feelbad, we're her to help. And the best possible outcome to all of this is one, win the lotto, or two do whats best and take them to someone who can help.

12. lil96

lil96 New Member

russianbluefanatic I have a question/suggestion you said: gut flora can be replenished with PROTEXIN powder ( from your vet ) or plain cultured yogurt, its the accidophilis that helps the gut.
    My question/suggestion is when I was a kid my sister was lactose intelorant and I had a problem, doesn'T matter but my mom would buy acidophulus milk for us, could you give that to kittens? Because mayb that would be cheaper than going to the vet (which I do suggest doing anyway) and buying the powder stuff there. just wondering? Thanks

13. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

quite honestly i respect most of the feedback here even if it seems harsh. we really only learn the real lessons when we are in fear or in pain. so...maybe it is difficult to hear because the information was delivered in a passionate and intense way. but if you ask yourself why it was delivered that way, you will find the answer is because they care. you can sugarcoat things, or just say them directly. there is truth to what kyles 101 and elizavixen are saying. and hopefully you will stay open to the feedback without defensiveness. just understand that when people love animals so much they dont want them to suffer needlessly. i know from your post that you feel that way to. sometimes, though, we have to be selfless. the babies do need to be seen. it could be something very serious, and could infect your cats as well. good luck, and please let us know the progress they are making. and please...dont be afraid to post again. the nice thing about this forum is that we all have a common concern and everyone is welcome to post their opinion. some we take and some we dont. again, good luck

14. M3WHITECATS

M3WHITECATS New Member

3 SICK KITTRNS AND NO FUNDS

I appriceite all of your responses and concern. Please understand that these kittens are showing signs of improvment everyday, slow but sure. I woke up this mornig to a little white kitty sitting by my pillow expressing quite loudly meeeooowww Im hungry, which for the last 3 days or so Ive hardly gotten them to eat anything. What a joy it is to see them all around thier dish enjoying something to eat. In response to some of the above I am having all of my cats fixed even the kittens before I find them homes. Thank you so much for the food suggestions and advice that is what I needed the most. Yes the lady from the humane society is helping me very much with the health care needs of my cats. She is an angel.

15. footsie

footsie New Member

Most kittens are born with roundworm. This causes vomiting. It can only be cured with a perscription.

Make sure they are getting plenty of water. KMR and neutrical are good suppliments that can be found at pet stores. Why bother with milk? Its so risky and doesn't have any benefit.

16. honeybears

honeybears New Member

3whitecats - glad to hear the kittens are doing better and good luck with them healing and finding them homes

honeybear

17. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

glad they are doing better :) do you have any pictures?

18. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

why the hell didnt you take them to a shelter in the first place? i dont feel sorry for you one bit for being on a disability pension, im on one too. and i NEVER take on more than i can handle, EVER. if i come across a stray i take it to a shelter, i dont keep it and let it suffer because all funds have been exhausted. give the animals up NOW while you still have a bit of money left. the last thing you want is a big bill and a crappy pension income.

19. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

i am not even on disability pension and max is "maxing" me out financially just all by himself. plus, the amount of time that goes in to calling the vet, following through, cleaning his box to make sure he is not reinfecting himself, giving him his medicine, buying new food to try, taking back the old food, taking in fecal samples every other week (it was every week for a while), and on and on. i really cant imagine having problems with multiple cats. i feel like it is a full time job. he still has diarrhea throughout the day, so keeping everything really clean, including his little rear end is time consuming. i couldnt handle any more. i dont know how other people do it.

20. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

i know how they do it. they like having cats around but they dont like caring for them. hoarders are what they are called! no conscience!