1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

90 gallon fish tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tyler_medeiros, May 14, 2005.

1. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

ok so i was thinking about the filters i was planning on putting on and me and my girlfriend were wandering around a pet store and saw a uv steralizer. Ive nerver used one but i know someone who used it in a pond and it kept the watter krystal clear. OK so i was planning to use:
    - 2 AquaClear 300 (rated for 20-50 gallons)
    - 1 Uv steralizer (rated for 65 gallons)
    would that be good enough

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If I'm not mistaken, UV sterilizers are mainly to prevent algae (huge problem with ponds because they they get so much light). As long as you don't have tons of light on the tank and you don't overstock or over feed you shouldn't have any algae problems.

-Chelle

3. tyler_medeiros

so should the two aquaclear 300 be enough to filter a 90 gallon.
    Im not planning to have more than 20 african cichlids in it.

4. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

On a tank that size the flow of the two filters combined should have a minimum turnover rate of 500 gallons per hour, and even better 900 gallons per hour. UV sterilizers were originally used on Marine tanks to control Oodinium problems. They were also found to work well on ich. The control of algae was learned later on, but as I remember UV's did not work well in controlling red algae.

5. tyler_medeiros

with the two aquaclear 300 it puts out 600 gallons an hour
    do you think that that will be sufficient

6. tyler_medeiros

ok so we just got back from the lfs and the guy suggested we use a fluval 404. We went through everything with eachother and he said it would be our best bet.
    What do you guys think

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The 404 would be on the really low end of the recomended gph/turnover (3.7x tank vol). If you don't really heavily stock the tank, it should be fine. Otherwise I'd add another filter.

-Chelle

8. tyler_medeiros

o hi realized that the gph was only like 350 so i was wondering if i could add power heads to circulate the water more.
    is that an option

9. tyler_medeiros

and if we add the power head it is an extra 400 gph added on to the fluval.

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

A powerhead will help circulate the water in the tank and prevent dead spots, but it really won't help the filtration since it isn't actually moving more water through the filter.

-Chelle

11. tyler_medeiros

what could be done to help fix it
    im on a budget so it cant be to expensiveand i dont want a hob because i want the tank as close to the wall as possible

12. tyler_medeiros

any suggestions to the filter problem.

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Short of adding another filter, I don't think there's anything else you can do. I don't know of any way to increase the efficiency of a canister.

-Chelle