1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Algae suddenly appeared after clean tank for years

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by jason oscarkeeper, Mar 15, 2005.

1. jason oscarkeeper

jason oscarkeeper New Member

as the subject line suggests i have a serious algae problem i have a large tank with a small ish oscar and two catfish, one day I got up and the whole tank was green. no algae is attatching itself to the glass is just in the water, i have tried all sorts to get rid of it but to no avail, am currently doing partial waterchanges daily just to check my fish are still in there (visibilty zero in tank) any ideas people?

by the way i have been viewing this forum for over a year now , only just got round to registering and joining in, you seem a great bunch of people and look forward to chatting with you all a little more

Jason u.k.

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

is the tank in direct sunlight?

3. jason oscarkeeper

it isnt, in fact

it is in a darker area of the house, i have set imers on lamps to reduce the ammount of time the lamps are on. I really cant understand it was clear for years then all of a sudden green. i really want to avoid chemicals although i do know there are some available would like to maybe try some other things first and leave chems as a last resort

this was my first posting , many thanks for your reply

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hmmmm, maybe a new food or you are overfeeding which is causing excess nutrients in the water for the algae to grow.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How big is the tank and what is the nitrAte readings? How often and how much are you feeding?

-Chelle

6. jason oscarkeeper

feeding and nitrates tests

chelle, thanks for your response, I checked the nitrates nitrites ammonia level and ph last night all seems to be as it should be. with regard to feeding i put 2 or 3 cockles in each evening for the oscar and a few pellets for the cats. it is a 4' x 2' x 2' tank running two large external filters

I am just amazed that it has suddendly gone green for no apparrent reason.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Are you vacuuming the substrate really good when you do water changes?

-Chelle

8. jason oscarkeeper

algae problem still not solved

i vacuum thoroghly must have the cleanest tank in the uk

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Hmmm . . . I'm stumped. My best suggestion is to keep doing water changes.

-Chelle

10. jason oscarkeeper

thanks for your suggestions

thanks anyway chelle, tank is clearing little by little each day will just percievere and ill keep you posted

Jason

11. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi jason oscarkeeper, I'm guessing that you are leaving the cockle shells in the tank after your fish have fed on them. There is most likely still some organic matter on the shells. I suspect that even though you are reading the NitrAte test correctly that the cockle shells are somehow buffering the water and giving you a false NitrAte reading. It is also possible to purchase what appears to be a new test kit, but has set up on the shelf at the store so long that the reagents have gone bad and give you a false reading. Best suggestion remove the shells. Continue to do partial water changes and it shouldn't take too long for the water to clear up. Also you can take a water sample to your local fish store and get them to test it to find out if your reagents have gone bad.

12. jason oscarkeeper

algae problem clearing slowly

kc many thanks for your advice, water semms to be clearing , i will take a sample in to be checked soon