1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

alligator gar care&needs

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by 2nafish, Jul 9, 2004.

1. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

Maybe in the future. But i agree on your opinions about my piranhas, I am definetly getting a bigger tank in the near future. And as the gar i will have a big enough home just not now, but when i get it, that is not for sure.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I appologize for the fish fighting comment. But there are people like that and I just wanted to make sure you weren't one of them.

As far as active fish with personalities goes, I suggest cichlids. What species will depend a lot on what size tank they will be going in. And FWIW, I am very opposed to putting fish in a tank that will eventually be too small with plans to upgrade them. You never know what will happen in the future and your plans for a larger tank may fall through and you will be stuck with fish in a tank that's too small. And as a result, you'll have sick, stunted fish. It's much better to get fish that can live out their full lives in their current tank (or wait until you have a larger tank before buying fish). Sure a little 1" or 2" fish will look lost in a 50+ gallon tank, but the fish will grow and fill out the tank and you won't have to stress over saving to buy & cycle larger tank before the fish get's too big or trying to find a new home for the fish because you can no longer house it.

-Chelle

3. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

t_chelle what size tank do you suggest i should get for 4 piranhas? and u know any good places that sell them cheap?

4. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

these are good points! sorry we are kinda over reacting but with a good point, we are just looking in the best interest for the fish.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'm not really a piranha expert, but from what I've read 4 would need at least 100 gallons (150 would be much better).

-Chelle

6. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

I don't know about you.. hope you're not sadistic. Well anyway, likle t_chelle, I would recommend cichlids.. they're aggressive and some have beautiful colours.. But if you had piranhas, than go ahead keeping them. Best of luck to you.

7. Mwm

Mwm New Member

8. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

They know a lot about piranhas, eh? Well I just looked through some threads and someone just bought a 55 gallon tank. They said they're just waiting for it to heat up and then she'll put some piranhas in it tomorrow. All of the replies were that her tanks is actually 52 gallons, not 55. Not one person mentioned that a tank has to CYCLE. Unless piranhas like high ammonia levels...

9. papastew

papastew New Member

The only place I have seen these fish in captivity has been at Sea World in Florida. And they were in man-made lagoons. They just get too big! I also have a sneaking suspicion that your LFS is not telling you the truth about the actual species of gar. To buy and sell an alligator gar, in my oppinion, would be just plain stupid!

10. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

11. papastew

papastew New Member

Um...okay. I have been to all my LFS, including Petco, and have never seen an alligator gar for sale. I HAVE seen smaller species of gar for sale, as well as pickerels, but they don't get nearly as big.

12. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

what kind of gars? Will they fit in like 100gallon tank?

13. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

how bout this one it still grows big but it sounds like that what you want so hear it is
    The Needle Nose Gar originates from the rivers, slack waters and ponds of Asia. They are a very long and slender fish that is mostly silver in color. Because of their body shape, they are able to produce very quick bursts of speed when in pursuit of prey. They have a very slender mouth that is filled with numerous small razor-like teeth.

A 70-gallon or larger aquarium that is well established is ideal for this species. Provide the Needle Nose Gar with a gravel substrate and plenty of rock for structure. There should be plenty of open swimming areas. A vicious predator, the Needle Nose Gar should only be housed with other more aggressive predacious fish of similar size. A tight fitting canopy is a must for this species, as they can generate great speeds and easily jump out of the aquarium.

The breeding habits of this species are unknown, as the Needle Nose Gar has yet to be spawned in the home aquarium.

The Needle Nose Gar is a carnivore and should be fed a variety of live foods such as small fish and crustaceans. Caution needs to be exercised when feeding these fish, as they will readily bite the hand that feeds it.

Ideal tank mates include: Similar sized Predators, some "Oddball fish" (miscellaneous fish), and large scavenger Catfish.
    Taken From
    ( http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... CatId=1897 )

14. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

oo thats a nice site