1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breeders and BYB

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by lanena322, May 13, 2004.

1. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

I was reading some old posts, just thought id bring this subject up.

When you are researching a breed, almost every book will tell you that a responsible breeder makes very little or no profit when selling pups. And on some posts people are making it seem like it is wrong for breeders to make a profit.

I dont see anything wrong with it, the dedicated breeders work hard to improve the breed, spen alot of $$ on these dogs (wether it be shoing, working, breeding, vet bill, etc.) so I wouldnt see anything wrong with selling a good Retriever pup for 300 dollars or more, if they have good lines. A good breeder will spend $$ on vet bills (for mom and pups) food, sometime spay/neuter, training, toys...etc.

So if they are contributing so much to these pups well being, then I say they should definately be able to make a good profit, so that they can keep bettering the breed.

BUT what I do think is ridiculous is when BYB try to sell a poorly bred dog at ridiculously high prices. Like trying to sell a 'big boned' Rottie for 800 dollars, or a 'King' Doberman for 1000.

I just think that the breeders who are dedicated should make a good profit and not be criticized for it. As for BYB as long as people keep buying these dogs, because they are priced lower, or are 'RARE' (ha) then BYB will keep producing mediocore dogs.

2. Sara

Sara New Member

My Breed is considered Rare and there are definately toooo many mediocre dogs out there. One good way to tell which breeder of truly rare breed dogs is reputable and not just blowing a bunch of smoke is that they give dogs away to working homes or are willing to haggle over price.

Rare dogs cost a lot because they're expensive to get to the country... People spend a good chunk of money to import adult, proven rare breed dogs to use in their breeding programs...so $1000 for a rare breed or for a breed that has problems...Like the Old English Bulldog who can't have pups naturally it makes sense... It depends on the breed and breeders goal to really be able to asses whether or not a breeder is reputable or a BYB.

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

This is a giant can of worms. :)

I have to say that I don't mind a good breeder making a small profit on their dogs. BUT it should not be the reason they are breeding! Oftentimes they do not make a profit when you figure in all the expenses both directly and indirectly related to breeding. Once you figure in the time involved, it is a ridiculously small amount of money! And most of the time it goes right back into the dogs.

Jamiya

4. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

to think one way all your life and not have room to consider another opinion is why most cans of worms take root .
    With that said ....A good breeder puts any money back into the program ,takes care of her animals ,if a profit occurs then they use it to rescue or to strengthen the program they have .
    all Breeders are BYB's in one sense .Where else do they have their dogs ,not in the Motel 6 ot the Holiday Inn .And I know of no show breeders that keep them in a hotel ,they have kennels also .Watch the shows you will see .."Red Kennels " bred this dog or This giant breed came from 'Blue kennels " They also breed "this type "
    A byb to me is one that does not have a vet ,supplies pet stores ,rents out their dogs to stud without testing ,gives shots from a feed store ,uses AKC ,CKC or any other club as a sell gimmick ,sells cheap (means they have nothing invested in their animals) ,breeds in breds to keep a standard causing more and more genetic issues to pop up ,mothers more than once a year ,and has no concern for health issues either for their puppies or their breeders .
    To me ,An AKC breeder is just as bad as any other ...MAN made standards ...God made the animals ...he also made us ....last ..I might add .

5. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Sara: what breed of dog do you have? I love hearing about truly rare breeds.

What I meant by BYB selling 'rare' dogs meaning of a popular breed, like lets say Rotties. These people by dumb luck get a litter with 2 or 3 'red' rotties, or a long haired rottie and sell it for double the price as 'rare'. Or a Dalmation with Patches (which is an AKC no-no)

6. Sara

Sara New Member

I have Two APBT's --I know not rare-- and two Boerboels--South African Mastiffs--

Boerboels aren't rare in South Africa but here in the US they're pretty rare these days. THere's becoming a boom in them (due mostly to BYB's thinking more is better) and so their working ability and health is wayning already...ugh... Anyway, the breed is used as property guardians. They're big babies with family and anyone the family accepts in their homes but if someone crosses them or their poperty or their family...they're quick to react... They're very similar to Great Pyrs in their personalities...(less likely to "mother" another animal than the Pyr but otherwise very similar in temperment).

Jamiya what were you referring to was a can of worms?

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

The whole "breeders should not make a profit" and "GOOD breeders do not make a profit" thing has been debated here rather heatedly several times.

Jamiya

8. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Well Jamiya I am sorry for bringing this topic up, if it is such a problem then i will delete my first post. I just simply thought I would like to start a healthy discussion rather than my usual 'help me' topics. thanks to everyone who posted

9. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Just want to add, after having a rescue with many problems healthwise. I would gladly pay the higher price for a pup that comes from breeding of dogs that have been health tested. They deserve to be paid for doing the job right.