1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Crossbreeds good or bad and why?

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by thedogguy, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Sara

Sara New Member

While my Boerboels are nice dogs and all...they're not exactly gentle giants... They're not as big as English Mastiffs and they're much more protective... They're the product of crosses of OLD mastiff type breeds of the Dutch, Rotts, Ridgebacks and they were bred to guard the Boer farms in South Africa...a long time ago... A phenotype was born and now you have Boerboels... well then you had Boerboels and now you have a shell of the old Boerboels trying to make a comeback... There's an article on them in Feb. Dogworld in case anyone can find it and wants to check it out...

Anyway... They're a serious guard dog similar to the Rott...but with that Oooozy mastiff mentality to boot... Good dogs but not for everyone...

2. thedogguy

thedogguy New Member

Oooo any pictures besides your Icon??

i was reading on mastiffs and read about there instincts as far as pinning a intruder and such...pretty intresting. does that triat carry down to boerboels??

I dont know much about mastiffs at this point ..just here and there..there on my list of breeds to research.

3. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

TeaCup Pits...wouldn't put it past someone. There are several people selling Mini Mastifs....beagle/pug crosses. They do look like a miniature mastif, though.

Worst one I've heard of so far that's being intentionally bred is called a Miniature Walrus. They're Shar Pei/Basset hound crosses. Can't imagine the skin, ear, and eye problems there. These 'designer dog' breeders will do anything for a buck. And I use the term breeder in it's loosest interpretation.

And the most ridiculous cross, that was pure accident; St. Bernard/Chihuahua.

4. Sara

Sara New Member

Most Mastiffs... English and bull in particular have lost most of their working ability and unless you find a breeder who actually tests and works their mastiffs I'd stay away from them if you're looking for a guard dog... They're great deterrants...no doubt...but pinning is a little far fetched in MOST cases...

I have a website...it's listed here in the link deal... Pics of all my dogs there. Precious is now 10 months old or so, so those pics of her are quite a bit out of date. Been moving and such so...haven't had a chance to have her strike a pose...same with the rest but they all are adults and were adults in the pics...

Boerboels are MUCH more protective and active than English and Bull mastiffs as a whole... Much more healthy too.

5. thedogguy

thedogguy New Member

:shock: i dont even see how the chihuahua /st benard mix is physically possible..like..who ...how......????

sara: hmmm good info on the mastiff thing...

but wouldn't boerboels be a little(loose rendition) more expensive?

6. Sara

Sara New Member

They're actually about the same price depending on what breeder you would get them from... Working breeders are willin to give up puppies from un-proven parents for lots less to working homes often times...

Generally pet quality Boerboels go from between $700 and $1000 and show quality out of proven parents at about $1200, these are domestic US dogs... Imported dogs are ABOUT the same except you have to pay shipping as well... ADULT dogs which I would recommend someone who plans to breed would get Imported can go for up to $5000 for proven dogs...

Post puppies come guaranteed from good breeders...for two years...or one... No HD for a year...if dog has problems with health it is replaced...often times breeders don't take first pup back too...anyway...

A little off topic...LOL... Mini mastiffs...what an oxymoron!

7. thedogguy

thedogguy New Member

Whats a Cane Corso :?:

8. Sara

Sara New Member

9. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Oxymoron indeed. And what about the people who pay $1,500 for one?

I sometimes think I'm in the wrong business. Instead of just grooming dogs, I should specialize in grooming designer dogs only. If a person is willing to pay that much for a crossbred dog, they should be willing to pay big bucks to have it groomed.

10. Sara

Sara New Member

Bet that would actually catch on... Dog Grooming specilizing in Designer and Rare Breeds... WOW you could make A KILLING... THen again some of those dogs are not so safe... Ovcharka that was on that Nation Geographic show comes to mind.... require temp testing and hike up that price even more though!