1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Doggie Massage?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by 4Dogsihave, Apr 4, 2004.

1. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Has anyone ever tried doggie massage? I do it on my Huskys hip due to arthritus. Hubby thinks I am nuts but she really seams to enjoy it. She actually has a smile on her face. If she is not in the mood or I accidently hurt her she just gets up and leaves. Anyway just wondering what other peoples opions are on this. Does anyone think I am actually doing her any good? My vet is a country vet and thinks I am nuts and this doesnt actually do anything to help her. He also didnt think putting her on Glucosamine would do anything but I have talked with alot of people who use it for their doggies and went ahead and put her on it. I wish we had another vet closer to home!

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I think massage is a great idea! If it feels good to humans, why wouldn't it feel good to dogs?

My sister uses massage to help her arthritic old guy as well.

Jamiya

3. RottieZeus

RottieZeus New Member

I massage Zeus almost every day!! I think it is a great way for him to relax. Plus it is a bonding time for us. Don't you like a good back rub???? Wouldn't you love to go to a massuse regularly? It eases pain and tension in the muscles often improving movement. I know that Zeus is only 10 months old, but I figure, "why not? It's not hurting anything!"

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

you are not crazy, they say massage really helps with arthritic dogs and there are actually tons of books and videos on the market for various techniques so keep it up and loves you for it :D

honeybear

5. Maisey

Maisey New Member

Yes! I massage Witt every night. He has no health issues but he loves it. He melts into the floor and is soooo appreciative. It's great for their bodies, it relaxes them and it's wonderful bonding. If I forget and it's getting late he will come and plop down on top of my feet and then wiggle around groaning until I get down on the floor and massage him.

A friend of ours has an elderly dog with horrible arthritis and a host of anxiety issues. On top of this she is overweight. I see her daily as she lives at the barn where my horse is kept. I frequently will sit down on the floor and massage her. She holds her limbs out straight for me to do each one...she goes stone still and you can hear her breathing change. Her owner does not do this for her even though I have urged him to...but she follows me around begging nearly everyday. They do benefit!

6. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

There is a method called the "T" Touch. ITs a great massage therapy teqnique used by many horse people (as well as ME!!!) and dog people. Go to a book store and they should have the book or video!

It uses circular motion with the tips of your finger in strategic locations. My mare will even lay down to have it done!!!!

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

The difference with TTouch (that I am still adjusting to) is that it is very soft - it is not a deep, muscular massage like most people are probably used to. I have trouble remembering that. :)

Jamiya

8. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Thanks for replying, I just needed some reasurrance that I was not losing it! I will have to check out some of the books you guys mentioned maybe I can learn some new stuff too!

9. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

I massage my pups every night. I started on Nana after her accident so she wouldnt be so sore in the mornings. Just very light touches, as she was sore for a week or so after.

Then when Laika came home I started massaging her at nights, it helps her relax and she doesnt fuss as much in the nights. Last night I didnt have time to massage her and when we got into bed (shes now sleeping with me) I swear she couldnt keep still. She would mover every 20 seconds, wether it was her head, switching positions or moving from one end of the bed to the other. Needles to say it was very annoying, I will definately keep giving her massages if it calms her down!

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

How is Nana doing now? Is she fully recovered from her accident?

Jamiya

11. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Thank you for asking Jamiya! Yes, she is fully recovered. I noticed she was fully recovered when she started her nightly excersise routine. She will jump from one couch to the other, jump on the floor and run all around the house for about 5 minutes.

It help her unwind and is absolutely hilarious, she looks like a tiny barrel racing horse.

I dont see any apparent psychological trauma, she is back to her growling, barking self.