1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

eating the leather string?? :|

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by drab911, Dec 10, 2004.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Well I have put up my home made toy and boy oh boy does she love it... havent seen her this energetic yet! however I can tell that the leather string has little hairs on it obviously and she seems to be getting some as she is chewing on it... since its leather is it safe for her to ingest? I could not get a definate answer as to what was used to dye the leather because I know you need veggi dyed.. however it was from a craft store and the lady there belived it was veggi tanned because we thought the toxic stuff was probably more for shoe laces for water proofing??? do you think??
    anyways thanks for any info you guys can provide\
    Merry Christmas

2. janine

janine New Member

Hi there :D
    The leather should be fine when it is untreated but when it is treated than it could be a risk. :)

Janine :)

3. drab911

drab911 New Member

But regluar "genuine Leather Lace" bought from a craft store shouldnt be treated I dont think do you?

4. Auspetian

Auspetian Administrator Staff Member

Leather bought from a craft store is in 99.99% of cases, treated and contain various leather processing chemicals which are very harmful to birds. Watch out !!

5. drab911

drab911 New Member

really are you sure about that... even the lady at the craft store was thinking that it probably is not... and it is a light natural color it is not like it is a dark brown or anything... my bird is very attached to her new toy and i know it doesnt matter if it ends up killing her but should I really take it out of her cage? I just spent all this money on this toy stuff and id like to think the leather is safe... so frustrating every single thing I have bought for this bird has turned out to be "unsafe" how is it everything can harm these things...

6. drab911

drab911 New Member

ANd if I SHOULD take it out where could I buy good leather lace? Where do they sell untreated lace?

7. drab911

drab911 New Member

OK I couldnt handle the guilt that I would face if this lace ended up hurting my baby... so I took it out :) Now I would still like to use the beads I have bought so do you think a HEMP string would be safe for her to make her toys out of? Please some advice is needed desperatly...

8. Auspetian

Auspetian Administrator Staff Member