1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

fish compatable with bala sharks and angel fish?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by boobafish, May 8, 2004.

1. boobafish

boobafish New Member

I am getting a new 55 gallon for my young bala shark and angel fish. I am looking for a tank mate that will get along well with them and wont nip at my angel's fins.

tank size is not an issue I am planning to upgrade size as they grow.

2. J_acon

J_acon New Member

How about another Angel? or even another bala. A pair of each will be nice and they wouldn't be so lonely.

3. saram6778

saram6778 New Member

I have 3 angels, 4 bala sharks, 5 clown loaches, 10 black tetras, 5 gouramis and 3 corydoras together in a 75 gallon tank...they all get a long great :)

editing to add that Bala's really should be kept in groups of at least 3. Angels should be kept in odd numbers, otherwise they can get territorial.

4. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

no no no no no no and no. have you heard the whole non-agressive, semi-agressive thing? angel fish-non agressive.bela sharks- agressive

both are territorial so the sharks like to be the only shark and so are the angel fish. sorry if i came out rude but i thought you should lern from my mistakes. if not than you will have to see the hard way and let me tell you its NOT pritty! :D

5. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

When I had my Angels.. I believe I had 10 or 12...when I first got them was with the expectaition that some would die... but they didn't. :? Anywho I had them for a very long time. After the last one passed away I couldn't get anymore... I loved the ones I had and they just couldnt be replaced. :( Their tank mates were.. 2 Balas, and a squad (6) rasbora hets, 2 albino cats, 2 marbled hatchets, and 2 chinese alge eaters.
    My angels got to be huge!! Everyone that saw my tank couldn't believe I had such big angels. Maybe someday I will get some more... it has been over a year since the last one died... so maybe I could stand to get some more now.

I tried to put neons in ... but they became lunch for the angels :shock: ... if you get the neons when the angels are small... they might have a better chance to live.

6. OneWolvesDream

strange. i have neons and angel fish. well i guess they are fine cause they are speedy lill devils hehe. but my angel is really peaceful and adorably. she tryes to climb in the net when im trying to get rid of a snail hehe she is so cute!

7. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

When I tried to put neons in with them... they were really big...bigger then a half dollar. The neons were little tiny things as I like to buy small baby fish so I can watch them grow. Later I tried with bigger neons and only the largest couple survived... :roll: Man talking about my Angels makes me want to go get some!! lol

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Nope, sorry, but bala sharks do prefer groups (they're more closely related to barbs & loaches than sharks).

As for the original question, personally, I think it's best to only stock a tank with what will be able to spend it's whole life in it. If you put fish in a tank that's going to eventually be too small with plans on getting a bigger tank, there's a chance that your plans could fall through. Then you'll be left with too many fish in a small tank and nowhere to move them to and they will suffer. So I'd wait until you get the bigger tank, then add more fish (a couple more balas maybe).

-Chelle

9. OneWolvesDream

hmmm odd but i guess. though i would get a whole bunch of fish that are compatable with them and put them in a group because when they get territorial than yeah. my fish died cause of that :cry:

10. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

I had 3 bala sharks and 3 angels all living in the same tank together for about a year... they did just fine, the sharks didnt bother the angels at all.

11. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

Angels are more aggressive then balas. I have two Balas now and they are about 6 to 8 inches long... they are the biggest fish I have in my tank at the moment. They bother no one. In my 55 gallon tank I have the following:
    6 neons (some of which are red and blue... some are green and black)
    2 balas
    2 hatchets
    6 to 8 rasbora hets
    2 placostomus (sp?)
    1 chinese alge eater
    5 to 7 black skirt tetras
    3 zebra danios
    1 albino cat (very old)
    2 regular cats... the darker ones... cant remember the name of those..lol

They all live very nicely together. If I had anymore room I would get two or three angels... but I don't so I will wait for awhile.

12. saram6778

saram6778 New Member

no no no---angel fish are agressive and Bala's are extremely peaceful. My balas bother none of the other fish, even though they are the largest in the aquarium. The angels I have now are on the peaceful side, but I've had very agressive angels in the past. The most agressive fish I have are the gouramis, but even they only bother each other for the most part. The tetras can be aggresive and harass the other fish sometimes, but they don't hurt anyone.