1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Guys i need help and anwsers

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by pitbullsrtheygood?, Apr 30, 2004.

1. pitbullsrtheygood?

pitbullsrtheygood? New Member

:cry: I need help..bad.Okay here it goes.OK people told me ''pits are excellent dogs.go get ya one''. So I said okay.Now she is 5 months going on 6.And since she was a baby she bit hard.I mean REALLY hard.Is this normal for a pit?AND THE BAD THING IS SHE STILL DOES IT.When we rough housed with her she bit HARD.We would tap her on the nose or spray her or YELL NO!!! nothing worked.Now when my kids run you know run the dog chase...she jumps up and tries to bite us and take a chunk of skin out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All I'm beginning to wonder is PITS ARE BAD BAD DOGS!People say i sleep with my dogs.I cant even sit down with her let alone sleep!She wants to constantly bite bite bite bite...... Is this normal because I dont know how somebody could like a dog that bites all the time. please reply

2. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Where did you get this dog? Maybe it wasn't a good idea to rough house with it if it was acting like this. I think some people on here may be able to help. I wouldn't keep a dog like that, no questions asked, an unstable biting dog can become unpredictable, worse and maybe next time a child runs attack.

Did you just come here to say pits are bad dogs. Or are you saying we all lie. My house dog sleeps in my bed and has never bit me or anyone else at any age, not even in play.

3. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Both of my Pits use to bite when playing with us and with each other when they were puppies. You're going to have to be firm and consistant when comanding NO! I follow up by saying KISSES, NO BITING! Now both my Pits can rough house with us and even put our hands and arms in their mouths, and never bite down. When the two dogs are playing and they sound a little too rambunctious, I step in and tell them to settle down. Don't do anything physical like hitting with newspaper, or even spaying with water bottles. The comand needs to come from you, not an extention of yourself. Pits love nothing more than to please the people they love. It takes time and commitment. But most of all, stay consistant. Don't let him get away with it sometimes and other times try to reprimand. I need to add one more thing. You ask if Pits are good? They are wonderful family dogs if they are raised and trained right. Maybe you can check into getting a trainer to help. Sometimes my Pits get into something their not suppose to do, but they are the most loving, mild-mannered dogs that I have ever had.

4. pitbullsrtheygood?

Hey true pits how about nipping I mean play nipping has your pups done that? please reply asap!!!

5. pitbullsrtheygood?

Well loves da pits I have been doing that for 6 months...no change!!!What do I do?

6. pitbullsrtheygood?

True pits Im am not saying you are a lier im saying that im BEGINNING to think they are bad because of this mean dog.Its not my fault they nip constantly and loves-da-pits says they stopped how come not mine!!!please help me!!! I

7. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

First, it is partially your fault for letting the puppy bite whenit was little. Far too many animals end up in shelters for reasons like this or jumping. Its not so cute when a 70+ lb. dog jumps now is it?

To anwer your question, NO, Pits are not all bad. YES, some Pit Bulls, due to bad breeding, backyard breeders (which I assume is where you got your dog) can have "defects". The APBT is not supposed to be human aggressive what so ever. And if you are not exaggerating, no, it is NOT normal for your dog, or any breed for that matter to chase you around the house and bite you.

Have you enrolled your dog in obedience classes? If not, I suggest you start. Pit Bulls need to be socialized from a very young age. You need to learn how to control your dog and let him know he does not run the house.

Where did you get him from? IF you got him from a breeder, I would seriously call him and let him know. If you got him from Joe Schmo on the street trying ot make a buck, you have just learned your FIRST lesson in getting an animal. DON'T SUPPORT BACK YARD BREEDERS!!

Hopefully you realize that this is a life you have promised to take care of and are not just going to give up on it and take it to a shelter.

IF however, you are going to do just that, please contact some of these rescues FIRST to see if they have any room available. They will be able to rehabilitate the pup (maybe) and get him into a home where people are better able to care for him.

www.pbrc.net
    www.badrap.org
    www.pbshr.org
    www.spindletoppitbullrescue.com
    www.pitgirls.com

There are tons more, but these are a few to get you started. If you do decide to give up your pup. I hope you will wait a long time before EVER considering getting another dog. Far too many dogs die needlessly in shelters daily because of these same circumstances.

Do your research next time on different breeds to figure out which one fits your life style best. A dog is supposed to be a member of the family. Someone you ENJOY spending time with, not fear.

Your local shelter may offer free obedience classes, or a discount rate. Also, it is just about time to have him altered. This may calm him down a bit.

Let us know what you decide.

8. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Pitsaretheygood?:
    Harley used to nip when she played. Now, she knows she is not allowed to have any mouthplay with us.

Here are some tips that helped me:
    1) when they bite (youwill have to get your whole family to do this, not just you) yelp really loud. Like how a puppy would if it was hurt.

2)Right after turn your back to the pup and walk away ignoring it for a couple of minutes.

3) Try to play again, again, if he bites, repeat step 1 and 2. BUT, if he plays nicely with you and doesn't bit down or very hard. Reward him with treats and TONS of praise. Telling him what a good boy he is.

The reason this worked is because #1 sounds like a puppy hurt, so they recognise they have gone too far.

#2 works becuase Pits crave attention and will do anything to get you to stop ignoring them

#3 because instead of punishing the bad you are praising the good, making him work harder to figure out what good is so he will get treats and love.

9. pitbullsrtheygood?

I am sure this is the dog that fits my lifestyle.Please answer this question: Has ever ever you pit pup ever nipped you in play or growled at you like mine or tries to snap at you for moving him off the couch? Mine does that.Please answer that question I mean ever nipped you or try to bite your face like mine? please I tried so much stuff with this dog.

10. pitbullsrtheygood?

I tried that already a thousand times.since 6 months...still does its like theres no hope....I just know pits are not supposed to be like that...

11. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Like I said in my above post, Harley did a little bit, but now does not. I used those tips i gave you.

Now, you do have to be careful because small children are involved. And this breed already has a bad enough rep from the media without another Pit biting kid story.

Pit Bulls ARE NOT supposed to be human aggressive. It sounds like you may have just had a bad pick. And we were answering your question. Finding out where you got this dog is important as to how to help you better with your situation

IN MY OPINION I would not tolerate that kind of aggression from ANY BREED of dog. especially if children are involved. I believe that any dog that shows that kind of aggression toward people sould be PTS. Like I already stated, it is abnormal for an APBT to do this.

12. pitbullsrtheygood?

Thanks for the advice so much.But now what do i do with the dog?

13. pitbullsrtheygood?

I admit I got it from a BACKYARD BREEDER. So what do I do?

14. pitbullsrtheygood?

15. pitbullsrtheygood?

You SAID HARLEY BIT A LITTLE BIT. But mine bites a bunch.I followed yoor advice for 6 monthds no change.So what do I do with the BAD PICK?

16. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Bullylove1 is right. You have to get your whole family envolved. Start rewarding for doing good. My Grace came from a really backyard breeder. She has taken more effort to train. You can look back on some of my old posts and see what a brat she was. It just made me try harder to train her. She was biting and growling and snipping at only 6 wks. I couldn't believe it. But being firm with NO and acting like you mean it. Now Grace is the sweetest, happiest, most gentle dog you could ever hope to have. In fact, a lot of my friends and family seem to favor Grace over my other Pit Reese who came from a licensed breeder. Take a half hour each day and sit with your dog and talk with him, massage him, really try to bond. It seems to me that nobody has tried to give your dog any one-on-one attention. He kind of just exists in your house trying to get attention. Please try to listen to all everyone here has to tell you. I would hate to see another Pit go to a shelter.

17. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

pitbullsrtheygood? are you going to answer my ? please. I did ask it in my first thread. Where did you get this dog? Something that might be important to is what bloodlines?

To give you some more answers.

I had one female who thought she could nip me like I was another dog, she as also very fustrated b/c she had her ears cropped and couldn't play b/c of the stitches. Then she thought she could just play w/ my hands like I was a pup. She was 2.5 months. I told her no, and would pick her up until she calmed down. She was one of the more dominent dogs in the litter. Pit Bulls should be naturally submissive to people but they still will act somewhat dominant in some respects. I picked her up and and told her no and sometimes she still thought it was part of the game at first and even though she couldn't would try to keep nipping. Then I said no/stop and she would look at me after and submitted I would praise her and she could begin playing again. If she got off course I'd give her more of the correct, like when she were playing with a dog rope and then she wanted to think my hands were a pup. She only did this a couple times and it was easy to correct, she was so used to dominating the other puppy and playing all the time and they were seperated and she though I was a good substitue I pressume. Before she had never done any of that.

My Setter was mean but I'm in no way beggining to think setters are mean dogs. I do think many have problems and they must have some sort of buero problem that plagues the breed and their are people not breeding the Setter's correctly now. They used to have a different temeperament, there are probably still some good ones out there, but mine isn't the only one I know that has had this problem. I don't think its a bad breed though and I do know a couple people having good dogs and have succefully used and bred them.

Its hard to say why yours didnt stop, all dogs are individuals although most training methods usually work for a vast number of dogs because its part of the dogs psychology and how dogs view the world and what most dogs will generally react to. Have you talked to a behaviorlist? A proffessional one with a good track record and reaferances. I read about a GSD in dog fancy named King who would always bite his owners, kids and adults their hands were covered in bite marks, they were afraid to do anything in their own home. They got a behavoralist and now the dog is great. They are the ones who let him dominate them and become alpha and with that it gets harder, you should have tried a long time ago when this wasn't working b/c now it will be much more harder to stop if its a behavioral/dominance thing.

Had 3 dogs like that. An Aussie, schnauzer/poodle mix and my mom's (toy) poodle. And know a cocker spaniel like that has put serveral holes in the owner, I also know a FEW Jack Russels that are this way. Never had a Pit Bull like that and hopefully never will. It sounds like it just has a bad temperament. But it could definatly be a dominance thing. The dog is giving YOU a warning to leave "its" space alone. That is why a lot of the above mentioned like the Jack Russels are like that. They need a lot of training and activity, but people just want them because they are smart and don't train them and teach them to respeact the owner. They think its a litter dog and can do no harm, until they can't do anything in their own home or the dog bites their children. Then they never seem to know why the dog acts that way. JR are very smart, but that doesn't mean they coem trained. The mistake many small dog owners make is not training their dog and spoiling it to the point of always giving the dogs its way. What do they expect? For your case more detail can still help. The exact instance when the dog does it. What about food? Can you take food from it? Toys from it? Does it listen to OB? Does it try to bite even when you are not doing anything to it?

18. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Don't take this the wrong way. But are all you frantic posts for real. It seems to me that nothing anybody is saying to is taken to heart. You just posting all this frantic stuff. If you're for real, chill out and listen, if you're playing games, that's not really cool. We take our dogs really seriously here.

19. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

lovesdapits:
    I agree with you. I just got to work and checked my computer and I don't understand why he started 2 more posts.

Pitsaretheygood?:
    If this is true, you need to read through all the advice given. I thin gyou have been given great advice, youare obviously not absorbing.

If you have done training for the last six months with no help, try a behaviourist, if that doesn't work, the dog is the one with the problem and should be PTS.

I don't understand why your parents would allow such an unruly dog to live like that in your home.

What Angie said in a different post I agree with. You have let this behaviour get out of control, and now are paying. I suggest you have asit down with your parents and read all these responses to them and figure out what you are going to do.

20. Jas

Jas New Member

****ATTN pitbullsrtheygood? Why would you start another thread of the SAME subject after I specifically requested you not to? Ignoring the requests of a moderator will find your membership terminated.

You will have noticed that I've already deleted this topic 5 times - In case you missed my notice you will find it below:

:!: It is completely unnecessary to post the same message 6 separate times. There is NO need for it as it will not help your situation or get you responses faster. I believe, in your first thread asking the very same thing, you were given good advice and suggestions - TAKE NOTICE.

If you are not going to read up on and listen to what people are telling you please refrain from posting here and wasting people's time.

Thanks,