1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How can I tell if my cat is pregnant?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Alkaline, Apr 3, 2004.

1. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

well dont you think they are good questions? i do. the people who said to get her spayed know what they are talking about.

2. aurorasky112

aurorasky112 New Member

I beleive in people having the right to breed, without harrasment.

3. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

well everyone knows where i stand on that one. you can talk to chessmind and mary_nh about your opinion.

p.s do you believe in thousands of cats being put down a week?

4. aurorasky112

aurorasky112 New Member

There arent enough kittens to go around here. Where are you talking about and I will send some of the people who call us daily for kittens (that we dont have), that way to get some!
    Ps I am not bashing your opinion. I just dont like to see pet owners bashed because they had an accidental litter! Especially if they are going to spay after they are born!

5. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

not enough cats? this has got to be a joke, right?

6. aurorasky112

aurorasky112 New Member

Farming community.....no were near enough cats! Rats, Mice, etc....

7. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

hmm youve obviously never been to a shelter. anyway, im ending this convo as its pointless. fact [something that is true] is there are too many cats. you cant change facts. and my opinion is that all cats should be sterilised unless there are medical reasons or the owners are professional breeders. and you cant change my opinion. like i said, maybe you should talk to the people who mention spaying and get their opinions too? end.

8. aurorasky112

aurorasky112 New Member

I volunteer at our shelter. There are no cats there. Dogs yes, plenty. No cats. Kittens come in occasionally, but they go very quickly. I am not against spay/neuter. I just believe self-righteous people should not spit at people who have an accidental litter. :D

9. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

nice to see youve edited all your posts :wink: teehee

10. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I can comment on the "accidental litter" issue...I'm 45 years old and have had cats all of my life - I HAVE NEVER EVER HAD A PET REPRODUCE....
    PERIOD. There is absolutely no excuse for an "accidental" litter of anything anymore than there is an excuse for an accidental pregnancy (that I can comment on cause I had one at 18 years of age he's now nearly 27 years old).

If you live in a farming community and there is a shortage of kittens consider yourself lucky...the shelter I volunteer/foster for gets hundreds of kittens every kitten season they have to care for and rehome (no-kill shelter). I have stayed up nights making sure a kitten does not die cause its "owner" didn't have the courtesy to take care of mom cat while it was pregnant and mom was left behind when the owner moved to care for her previous litter of eight 6-month old kittens and her newborn litter without the benefit of food/water/litterbox - so if I have issues with people letting their pets breed without the forethought of what is going to happen to the resulting puppies or kittens so be it. But I'm one of the foster homes that not only stays up at night caring for these ill unwanted little creatures trying to keep them alive and still caring for a family of my own and going to work the next day.

Spay and neuter - neuter and spay...unless someone is a serious breeder and knows what they are doing and are trying to improve on a breed. Yes there will always be kittens (and I adores moogie cats) cause people are just too cheap and have the attitude of "it's just a cat" to bother getting the cat fixed.

You need kittens? Come to NH in about 2 months and there will be enough to go around. They are in the streets, behind buildings - struggling to stay alive. College kids gets kittens and then leave them behind when they leave for the summer, tourists get kittens while they are here and then leave them behind. After all "it's just a cat"

11. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

i would just like to add if you can get your cat to see a vet and she is pregnant then you can ask the vet to terminate the pregnancy and spay her while removing the kittens this way there is not going to be any problems lets say if the mother dies during birth, or she does not produce milk which in turn leaves you to bottle feed the litter and trust me this is not something that should be taken lightly and you cant skip a feed.
    Then there is the mother could kill and eat her litter as they are being born, She may reject the kittens.

Do you know what to do if something goes wrong while she is giving birth.
    Do you know the correct amount of food she should be eating throughout her pregnancy and while lactating.
    Do you know how old the kittens should be before they get there first worming treatment and vaccintations.
    Do you know how old they should be before starting them on kitten food.
    Do you know how old they should be before they can go to there new homes.
    Can you cull any kittens that are deformed or have harelip and cleft palate or have a limb missing.

Can you cope with losing your female cat due to the pregnancy as it has been know for some cats and dogs to die due to the amount of stress and pressure pregancy puts on them.

So all in all allow her to carry on withthe pregnancy just because there is people around where you live looking for a kitten and ringing you up is no reason to allow this cat to give birth.
    Tell them to goto a feline rescue centre who have hundreds and hundreds of unwanted neglected or abused cats and kittens of all ages looking for a new loving caring home.

Sorry i have gone on but sure someone will tell me if the above statment and questions i asked are not valid ones.
    Also accidentallitters will not happen if they are spayed or neutered.
    I will be perfectly honest here if one of my german shepherd girls got out and was mated with the local stray or any other dog apart from mine or the studs i take them to i would not think twice about aborting the litter i know that sounds awful but thats me.

Just how i feel
    Sorry guys i had to get that off my chest lol

mike

12. Alkaline

Alkaline New Member

alright this is what im going to do.....

I'm going to have my sister let the kitty have the litter(which she wants to do) but first, I'm going to see if my mom will take her kitty to the vet to see if she is pregnant, and if she is my sister will let her have her litter and after she has the litter.. maybe a month after she has given birth to them, She will definatly get spayed. This is what happened to my cat almost 2 years ago. I know what to do because this has happened before.

soooo..... time for me to go now.. Bye bye

13. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

"banging head against the wall"

and if she isn't pregnant I'm hoping you'll get her spayed now...

14. savannah

savannah New Member

Hi I know I just joined but Ive been reading this whole conversation.If this poster is really only 13 ,shes just a kid and most kids dont have the experience to understand beyond the excitement of having kittens. This whole thing should be handled by her {or his parents}.She wont have the money for anykind of vet care nevermind spay.Shes probably never seen an animal starving to death or struggling in pain. so she doesnt understand.Her parents are responsible if they let her have the cat in the first place they accepted this responsibility. Just my opinion

15. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I agree Savannah....but it would be so nice if people COULD keep their minds open and learn.

I think it's good my 14 yr. old son had to help me with the kittens last year - he gained invaluable experience watching the little one we nearly lost. He found it very hard to let her go since we put hours of care into her...he now also volunteers for events at the shelter.

And kids are a reflection of their parents, especially at that age. Yes her hands are tied...but I like to think she'll take the info she is hopefully gaining here through life with her and when she does become an adult and is able to make her own choices regarding pets she'll have some education to fall back on. Gotta begin with kids.

16. Alkaline

Alkaline New Member

no no no, I know alot more about cats and stuff.. my cat had a litter almost 2 years ago so i know what might happen.