1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Is dropsy a contagious disease?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nano, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Nano

Nano New Member

I read somewhere online that dropsy is a contagious disease amongst fish. Is this true? I have an oscar that I think may have dropsy(bloated belly and eyes slightly protruding). About 6 or more months ago, I had a jaguar in the same tank that was bloated as well. But I wasn't sure if it was truly dropsy, as it didn't quite look the same, and the jaguar had bouancy problems and no apetite. The oscar is really swolen in the belly, but has his normal big apetite. If this is dropsy, do I separate him from the other two fish in the tank, and will they catch it?Is dropsy treatable?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Dropsy is actually more of a symptom (extreme bloating) than an actual disease. There are several things that can cause it; some are contageous (fish TB, parasites, etc), some are not (bacterial infection, kidney failure, tumors, etc).

It sounds like your jag probably had a swim bladder problem (could have been an infection, blockage, or swim bladder damage).

Is there any way you can post a pic of the oscar? Is the swelling pretty much all over the body? Or just in the belly region? Are its scales sticking out like a pinecone?

Unfortunately, once dropsy gets to the point where it's really noticeable, it's nearly impossible to cure in warm water fish (it's a little easier in cooler water fish like goldies).

Out of curisoity (and to help figure out what the possible cause could have been and maybe prevent the other fish from being affected), how big is the tank? What other fish are in there and how big are they all? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

-Chelle

3. Nano

Nano New Member

The tank that the oscar is in is a 110 gal. I have 2 convicts, a pleco. and one angelicus cat in it as well. They seem to be fine. The scales on the oscar are stretched, but not sticking out like a pinecone. The swelling is in the lower abdominal area. You can see a couple of small waterblisters in that area as well. I wish I knew what is going on with him. He is really swollen. I will try to take a water sample in this week.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sounds more like either a blockage/constipation or, worst case, a tumor. Is he pooping normally?

I'd stop feeding him for a while. Since there's other tank mates, I'd either set up a divider in that tank to isolate him from the other fish (so you can still feed the other fish) or move him to a hospital tank. If after a couple days of not eating he's still bloated, try feeding him a couple peas (frozen peas nuked in the microwave to thaw and with the outer shell removed).

-Chelle