1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Kitty has diarrhea

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Sarah27, May 6, 2004.

1. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

I have had my new kitty for 6 days now. For the first night I noticed he wasn't drinking water so I gave him some tuna juice. After that he started having really bad diarrhea. I went to the pet store and bought some kitten formula so he would get some liquids in him and some kitty food both dry and soft. He started drinking water yesterday for the first time and he is eating the food both dry&soft mixed. He still has diarrhea and just goes all over the house. He is very very very young I would say about 5 weeks old. Is this normal for a kitty? He had a normal stool when I found him but now it is not and I'm just concerned that it may be from the lack of the mothers milk? He is very very playfull and doesn't act sick at all just goes to the bathroom a lot and doesn't seem to know what the litter box is unless I put him in it.

Any suggestions would be great!

Sarah

2. footsie

footsie New Member

Has he been checked out by a vet? Most kittens are born with worm which can cause vomiting and diarrhea. They're cured very easily with medication.

Small kittens can get dehydrated very quickly, so a trip to the vet is a must if he hasn't been drinking for a full day.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

could be coccadia which is a nasty parasite. So off to the vet with ye :D and take a stool sample with you. The vet will need to check it for parasites.

4. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. My kitty is now drinking tons of water and eating like crazy. I have him on both hard and soft food and his stool seems to be getting less runny everyday :eek: . He is now in the climbing stage so life should get interesting:)

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

if the soft stools do continue you should still take a stool sample to the vet to check for parasites.

Also check the ingredients on the food to see what the corn content is. I have one cat that will get "dire-rear" if he eats any fishy foods

6. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Well I just found out that the siblings to this kitty now have ring worm so he has a appointment at my family vet this afternoon. Hopefully I catch it soon enough before it spreads to my other animals.