1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

need pacu help bad!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by willieb18, Apr 6, 2004.

1. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

do i just put water from the hose pipe in the tank? thats what i did this time. and i dont think i can get the water the same temp as the tank

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The temp really does need to be close, otherwise your fish can go into shock.

When I fill my 75 gallon, I just hook a hose up to the kitchen faucet and add the water directly to the tank. And while it's filling, I add my dechlorinator.

-Chelle

3. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

i hose wont fit the sink.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Try finding a dishwasher adaptor. It should have 2 parts like these:

[​IMG][​IMG]

-Chelle

5. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

i noticed lastnight that after i wen to bed and had all the lights off that my pacu went crazy and what just swimming all over the place. why don't he act like that during the day?

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

He's probably just being skittish and having the lighs off make him feel more comfortable. I would try leaving them off for a couple more days.

-Chelle

7. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

he is in my room, i never have the light on in there. i got me a test kit and i am going to check the water when i get home tonight and i will post the results tomorrow. i went to a new fish store today and the lady told me that the food that i am feeding is is too big and i am feeding him too much. what is too much??

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How big are the pellets?

-Chelle

9. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

O <<< about that big. the lady at the fish store told me that i need to break them up untill he got a lil bigger. what do you think he is like 3"l ong

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

That might be a good idea. My 4" africans have trouble eating pellets that large.

-Chelle

11. AMR22

AMR22 New Member

my 4 in paradise eat pellets even bigger than that are they supposed to be pigs?

srry for inturuptin

12. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

is my pacu going to be agressive and eat other fish?

13. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

the test kit that i have test for.....

pH
    nitrate
    nitrite
    hardness
    alkalinity

will that be good enough for you to tell me what i need to do to help out my fish??

14. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I don't know about the agresstion of pacu's, but you said that you have him in a 55 gallon tank and adding more fish would definately max out you bioload when her gets bigger.

As t-chelle said in an earlier post

If you're not going to go the expense of getting a bigger tank then I agree with t-chelle in getting rid of it while it's still small, you might have a hard time finding someone to take it when it gets larger (maybe the store that you got him at will take him back) and he will most likely be very uncomfortable in a 55 gallon tank.

15. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

That's a very good start, but you also need ammonia.

-Chelle

16. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

if i fix everything else will that help out the ammonia??

17. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If your tank is completely cycled, you shouldn't have any ammonia. However, you didn't do a fishless cycle before adding the pacu so there is a chance that ammonia is present so you really do need the test to determine that and help figure out just where in the cycle your tank is right now.

Also, the really important question that I brought up earlier and Aqueous mentioned again: Are you going to be able to get a 300 - 400 gallon tank (and all the filtration that a tank that size needs = $$$) within the next year? If not, you really aren't going to be able to keep that pacu healthy & happy and it would be best for both of you to find a new home for the pacu.

-Chelle

18. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

i went ahead and got the ammonia test kit. so i will test it tonight and post the results tomorrow. as far as the fish getting too big i am already thinking about taking him back to the pet store and getting a more agressive fish. that will do well in a 55 gallon tank. my mom bought me some rocks do you think that i should put them in there i have none right now.

19. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If you want lots of little aggressive fish for a 55 gallon, I suggest african cichlids. Most only get around 4" (so you can fit quite a few in that tank), they have a bit of personality, and are generally quite colorful.

-Chelle

20. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

will they eat feeder fish? that is really what i was looking for when i got this fish. however it dosen't seem like he is going to do it for me.