1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New Parrotlet in the family!

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by drab911, Aug 22, 2005.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Hey eveyrone... So I have a new member of my family.. Mavric a green and blue parrotlet!!! so it was hand fed from the nursery.... 5 and a half months old, dont know the sex./... it is pretty tame/.. but wont directly get on my finger yet.. though I JUST got home and I know it takes time.... i am very impressed with him though... do you guys have any tips on how to fully train this guy?? I want him to be very tame and im willing to spend all the time... is it good to spend like an hour a day getting him to get up onto my finger even if he doesnt... rather then grabbing him and handling him??? he seems comfortable with both.. I can be patient but am I getting no wher ethat way??? thanks for any help

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hand taming a parrotlet is the same as you would any other species of bird.
    Just take your time, Since he has been hand raised then chances are within a few days to a couple of weeks he should come straight to you with no problems.

Parrotlets are very quick learners and are keen to learn knew tricks

Mike

3. drab911

drab911 New Member

so should I just keep bringing my finger up to him or should I grab him and handle him??? right now he runs away after a bit but i can tell that he will get on my finger soon i think

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I would never grab a bird its always best to let them come to you in there own time, Grabbing a bird makes them feel threatened by your hand and will result in a bird that panics when you put your hand in the cage.

So i would just place my hand in the cage and move slowly towards the bird if it runs off then hold your hand still until it settles then try again.

Mike

5. drab911

drab911 New Member

I agree man, however in the store they seemed to always grab it first right.,.. and when they say that you need handleing time every day I guess that is once it gets on your finger.... he will stand right in front of it and put maybe one toe on for a second.. I guess I am getting close eh>>> so exciting just want him to be tame hehe

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

People that work in petstores do not usually know the first thing about the care of the animals or how to hand tame.

Since he is using one foot to step up shows that he is starting to trust you.
    Your doing well within a few days i am sure he will come straight to your hand and step up.

Mike

7. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Congrats on your new parrotlet. From the description of the coloring it sound like you have a male.

8. drab911

drab911 New Member

yeah from all the pictures i have investigated I have a Male Pacific Parrotlet.. because he has blue flight feathers and on his back is all blue.. such a cutie.. ill put a picture up once I get a good camera hehe