1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

please help me fast...i think shes pregnant

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by goldfish_lover, Mar 5, 2006.

1. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

5 gallons is way too small for goldfish. If you can't set up the 50 soon (like with in the next month, tops, you really need to look into finding new homes for your fish.

In the mean time, what are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte? I suggest buying your own test kits (liquid tests are better than strips), but you can also take a sample of your water to the LFS and have them test it. If you do that, though, make sure to get the actual numbers. Don't just accept "It's fine" because half the time they don't know what they're talking about.

Are the white spots on the thin part of the fin? Or just the thicker, front ray/spine of the fin?

Male goldfish do get what's called breeding tubercles which look like white bumps on their gill plates and the 1st rays of their fins, but your fish is really too young to breed so I'd be suprised if that's the case here.

-Chelle

2. goldfish_lover

goldfish_lover New Member

they were on the thin part of the fin but tonite i can see them starting to work on the thicker part...with ich ive noticed that it was all over the body this is only on the tail part...and seriously about the fish...!!! its only a little plain goldfish and plus there were like 40 goldfish in like a 50 gallon tank where i bought her...i took out the second goldfish and gave it to my sister, now there is one little tiny goldfish and a little albino algae eater in a 5 gallon tank...that has to be ok!!?? :roll:

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sounds like ich then.

Nope. Actually being a plain goldfish is even worse. Comet/common goldfish get around 1 foot long and need at least 50 gallons each. I have a 4" comet in a 20 gallon and he's starting to get cramped and is ramming into the sides of the tank (once it warms up, he's moving back out into the pond). Trust me. 5 gallons is not enough for any kind of goldfish.

Also, the reason the LFS can get away with 40 goldfish in a 50 gallon tank is a) they don't care if a bunch die (they're cheap), b) they have massive filtration systems, and c) the fish are in there for a short period of time.

Which of these looks most like your algae eater?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first is an albino common pleco. They get over a foot long. The 2nd is an albino sailfin pleco. They get around 18" long. The 3rd is an albino bristlenose pleco. They get around 6" long (not as bad as the other 2, but still too big for a 5 gallon tank).

-Chelle

4. goldfish_lover

none of them....if i can figure out how to post a pic cuz i found one on google...heres the url see if that works...if not go to google type in albino algae eater, and go to the second page, and its the third one...i dont know how to get the pic up??? and the pea jstu sunk to the bottom what if my algae eater gets it first???[/img]

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

[​IMG]

If this is it this is a albino cory [/url]

6. goldfish_lover

ok thats what it is...

7. goldfish_lover

shes dying anyway...

8. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

does she have ich to ?

9. goldfish_lover

my algae eater??? no she doesnt my goldfish does
    my sister has a goldfish that has ich and i completely forget how to treat it, i havent had fish for a while...

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I don't think cories are salt sensitive so you can try raising the temperature to around 84* (add an airstone if you don't have one in there already) and add 1 tbsp of aquarium or kosher salt/5 gallons (only add more salt when you do water changes and only add enough to cover the amount of fresh water you're adding).

After the last spot disappers, wait a week before you drop the temperature back down and start doing water changes to remove the salt.

Other than that, you can try a store bought ich treatment. I've had pretty good luck with Maracide (it's more gentle on sensitive fish than most other ich meds).

-Chelle

11. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

Maracide i have tried this med and its is great

12. goldfish_lover

yeah well i guess i should pick my fish better... :oops:

13. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

you did know most people go by thi people that push anyfish on to anyonewith neither of them not knowing anything or know very little never ends up with a good ending

14. goldfish_lover

yeah i guess i know where not to go...lol

15. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member