1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Sams and any other curious types... The BOERBOEL

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Sara, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Sara

Sara New Member

Here's a long Boerboel Description from South Africa... Neat but it is kinda long...

Used with permission...

By Reinier Geel

Kempton Park, Gauteng,South Africa

Occupation: K9 Unit Commander, Dog trainer, 7 years as head instructor of the unit

Some Facts on: The Boerboel: like any other breed there is the great myth and then there are the dreadful reminders of what could happen if ignorant men/woman tries their hand at breeding. And then there is the actual breed. So I would like to start it this way, we have many types of beer on the market same with dogs; some like their beer warm others cold, some like it dark some like it light etc. Same thing with dogs, some like warm temperament and others prefer mild to “coldâ€

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Oh wow!!!! I really like this breed. with your permission I'd like to print this page and take it home to Granvel....I thik he'd like them too. He's always wanted a family dog. that was BIG, but would be agressive and protect if need be, and would withstand a fight if they had to...
    NOT saying he wants an attack dog that could whip what ever..but you know what I mean.

Something that you know your kids are safe when the dogs are around, and you know your livestock and house is safe. With their size, looks, and breed abilities, not tomeantion thier instincts to protect. Their perfect.....

3. Sara

Sara New Member

Sure and not to sound like a snob or anything if you do decide to get yourself one please let me get you into contact with the reputable breeders... Lots of US and even the SA breeders are breeding for sales rather than purpose and it's causing some issues... Check out my site for info too and you can print whatever you like off of it too... I figured you'd dig them and this is the best description I've found of the breed yet...LOL...

Feel free!

4. Sara

Sara New Member

Drop me an email sometime too... I have an idea up my sleeve...LOL

5. Samsintentions

6. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Sara- That was a great piece about the Boerboel. I got interested in them about the same time I was learning about the Corso. Both dogs just seem so amazing to me. Thanks for the additional info, I wish I could afford one! :(

7. Sara

Sara New Member

Well you might be able to at some point... The better breeders around are willing to work with people to get Boerboels in the right home. So many are being "milled" these days that getting the right dogs in the right hands are priority with US breeders...the best ones anyway...

I'm thinking of doing a test litter one of these days...I'll keep you in mind...and Sam too...LOL

8. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Don't tease me Sara! I f I could get one, I'd be on a plane tomorrow! :shock:

9. Samsintentions

Tomorow!! I'd be packing now!! LOL....I like Riot...he's definately one hot stud! LOL

10. Sara

Sara New Member

Not teasing... I'm in the thought/planning process of when I might just do this... If I can get Askari's hips done soon enough, Riot's got OFA style done just not "read" or certified and they look good (hence the "test")... ALSO his Sire produces so well and her dam as well... I want to see what HE'll produce as the breeder needs another Butch producer as Butch is getting older... ANYWAY... "test" in my mind is free w/ updates and required Hip x-rays Penn-hipp or OFA even if they are done but not certified I think I'd go with depending... That's my idea...but won't do it if I don't have enough interrest from people willing to go the extra mile and help me with updates and assessments about the pups, how they are developing, hips, temperment etc...

That's my idea anyway... We'll see if I have enough interrest...LOL

11. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Riot is kind of hot now that you mention it! But, I kind of like Askari.

Sara- what is the origin and meaning of Askari's name if you don't mind me asking?

12. Samsintentions

13. Sara

Sara New Member

Sam you're on my wanted list...LOL...talk about optimal working home...

Askari is Swaheely(sp?) or Afrikaan and the meaning is: defender, protector, watcher...the like... I got it offline and then when my great aunt and uncle were in town I said...I have to go let Askari out and they were like...do you know what that means??? And they went on and on... They were missionaries to Africa for SEVERAL years etc... VERY cool to know it truly meant what I thought it meant...and she lives up to the name too...LOL

I'll put your email in my addy book and we'll see...

I like Askari for her athletic build and lighter bone... Riot is just right in the bone department but could use more of a hind end and that's what Askari's got... Precious is a good idea of what the two of them would produce as she has the same dam as Askari and the same Sire as Riot...so...with luck the two of them will produce as well as their parents do...with the temperment to boot... That's what I'm hoping for...

I had no idea you two were that interrested in the breed honestly...LOL Crazy... I'll drop you an email.

14. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

What a wonderful way to name her! I love that. Oh, I am seriously interested in this breed. I have done a bit of reading on them, the Corso, the Rotts, etc., I just find the "heart" in these dogs to be so amazing and the combo between their work ethic and love of family is so beautiful. I'm envious of the balance they manage between the two ends of their instincts.

15. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

They're beautiful, but too much dog for me. Kudos to those of you who can handle them properly!

16. Sara

Sara New Member

THAT balance is truly something to behold... Drop me an email!! Their ability and stability and heart and loyalty get to me every day... LOL Just want the best for the breed really!

17. Samsintentions

Thats how every breeder should be. For the betterment of the dog. Not their pockets. I've had people tell me, Your dogs are too expensive. And others that tell me their too cheap. Well. Honestly I counter the balance.

One I have to cover the indiviual puppies health, vet bills, food, vaccinations, and what my time is worth training them. Then their supplies that come with them.

So Generally I run my pups for around $350. But I have gone as high as $500 for a pick of the litter female that was going to be a breeder. The only reason she was that high is the cost of the papers. Extra OFA, OFC, and all that to be done, and the testings she has to go through. I want the couple that bought her to be serious, not just get a dog and Boom, breed it. No. She has to prove herself. And until I get all the tests back, and confirm that she's gone with all the requirements, she'll have only the Limited Registration papers for her. When she sends me everything, and I've gotten some of it, I'll hand over and transfer her to the Full registration rights. I also have first pick of the litter, and have to give the concent to who she breeds to the first litter.

I know it sounds harsh, But for anyone that knows the breed, you'd know the "crookedness, and things their doing to it.

18. Sara

Sara New Member

On the same page yet again...LOL

19. Samsintentions

I'm definately here for anyhelp you need. Especially with puppies!!

20. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Sara,

I just read through the post, sounds like an awesome dog!
    I also went on your website, just to browse around. Your dogs are all beautiful!
    Curious, how do your Boerboels & your Pit Bulls get along, or do they? If not why? If yes, why?