1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Sams and any other curious types... The BOERBOEL

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Sara, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I believe she does the "shuffle" with them...

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

they sure look a lot like mastiff, love the stripes, but it does look they they are descendants.

Did you watch the dogs show on thanksgiving they have this new breed of mastiff, one ugly looking dog. felt so sorry fit it. its jowls hung almost to the floor there was so much skin.

honeybear

3. Sara

Sara New Member

Boerboels are a variety of Mastiff. They are the "south African" version.

The mastiff you are talking about is the Neopolitan Mastiff and they've since become only a shell of their former selves. It's an ancient breed that were used as estate guardians and were VERY good at it.

My Pit Bulls and Mastiffs do not get along. Honijade is DOMINANT to the hilt and as soon as Askari began to do any challenging or even thought about it we separated them forever...LOL... Riot and Monty hate one another they've had TWO meetings one due to a meter reader opening a gate and then not shutting it and my letting one dog out in front and one in back without knowledge of open gate...not too serious but enough to let me know it would not be a favorable outcome should the two ever meet again... The three Boerboels are fine together and the Pits generally are fine together as well...with supervision. The two breeds are never together for any length of time or reason. NOT even through fences... We do the shuffle and practice baby gate and the closed door policy... And between me and my Boyfriend if we do not know what one is doing with the dog and we have an idea to do something there are shouts heard from the streets... "Where's so and so?!?" "Are you READY!" "ARE the Boerboels Up?!?" "Is Monty in the house?" etc... Kinda fun and not that difficult once you get in the habbit... Boerboeols aren't the problem...the pits cause most of it.

Thanks for inquiring.

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Hehehe!! My husband would rather die than put up with stuff like that. I think it would just make life even more interesting. :)

5. Sara

Sara New Member

Yes well my Boyfriend would rather have me than NOT put up with that...LOL... I feel the same way you do about it.

6. Samsintentions

Sounds like my house!!! LOL...when we go visit "grandma" Granvels mom...we have to shout from the road "Is Goose Penned?!?" Smokey HATES Goose with a passion and Goose meets with the same....I don't know why though.

Then With any other males, Smokey does not tolorate them. A smaller dog like a chi, he doesn't have a problem with unless its overwhelming him and annoying him....

7. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

They're very beautiful dogs.

Just a quick question sara, What's the proper pronunciation of the name?

I've got my own little thought of that way it could sound but it just doesn't seen right :oops: .

8. Sara

Sara New Member

Bor (long o... like Boar) and Bowl...like the dish...LOL... You should hear how different ring stewards pronunce it... They're not bulldogs but inevitably you get Borbull... borabowl...all kind of variations...LOL... When I first saw it I didn't even try...LOL...

It's Boer (like Boar) and boel (Bowl like the dish)

What was your hunch???

9. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

It was something along the line of" Bow (like on a gift)-er-Bowl" but the "bowl" part sounded kind of weird to me.

LOL... I can just imagine the different ways it's said. My uncle used to have a horse he showed with a name that was pronounced Pool-a-bat-tar (weird I know, wasn't my idea :roll: ). One time this lady came up to him after a show and said "oh is that Pool-of-butter".

10. honeybears

honeybears New Member

LOl the "shuffle" dont know how you keep track

I was thinking bo-erbowl :?
    sumbit

11. Sara

Sara New Member

Only two groups to worry about...the Boerboels and the Pits...the Boerboels live outside in a run generally and the Pits inside so that is helpfull to...LOL...and they all look different???

It sounds a lot more complicated than it is...the "shuffle" really isn't that bad...feeding time is hairy....LOL

12. Samsintentions

13. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

:shock: I actually pronounced the name right. I am in shock!!!!

I saw a Tibetian Mastiff puppy this weekend (MY FAV DOG!!!!) and he was for sale too. They wanted $1,200 for him and Matt said he would get him for me if I really really wanted him. Oh my gosh! I about fell over!

But, as tempting as that was, and tempting is a massive understatement!, I had to stick to my guns on the no new puppies at Christmas time rule. :cry:

I had no idea I could exercise that kind of willpower!!!!!

14. Samsintentions

LOL!!!

Watching Granvel try to pernounce it was hilarious!! But he really liked them.
    I also introduced him to a PIt this weekend....he's one that thinks "their horrible dogs, you should only have em if you hunt, your just asking for trouble" types of people...
    Well thanks to Poochie, he's changed his mind!!! Poochie is my sisters boyfriends dog. He's absolutely WONDERFUL!!!!

So now he wants one and a PIt!!

15. Sara

Sara New Member

Boerboels and Pits are VERY similar in personalities...they've both got tons to spare and LOVE their people like crazy!!! LOL...

16. Sara

Sara New Member

Here's some pics of a few of the Boerboels working in the US with cattle... Just an idea on the versatility of the breed if you all were wondering...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

17. Samsintentions

Is the brindle a rare coloration? Or do dthey come in all colors??

18. Sara

Sara New Member

Brindles are not rare and they come in most all colors. Blue is a DQ for the show ring as well as 'dudley' like Askari is with the liver nose. They are required to have black nose and well pigmented everything else... African sun needs pigmentation... There is no such thing as a Black Boerboel...they come in that color but it's considered a Black Brindle... There's a pic in the beginning of this thread of a Brindle female that is Askari's littermate...

19. stuartheatherfoster

stuartheatherfoster New Member

New to this site

Sara
    I have recently run across the Boerboel breed. I know this thread is old but I was hoping to revive it and get in contact with you regarding your knowledge of these seemingly wonderful family and outdoors dogs.

We love large dogs, but we have been looking for a breed that
    A) wants to stay home ( I truly dislike runners)
    B) Loves our Kids, ie something that when we are out in the woods will keep an idea on my little ones.
    C) Will love to be loved.

I have raised watchdogs (Gsheperds) in a third world country but they are too aggresive for life in the states. It seems the Boerboel is a dog confident enough to assimilate into the family and yet rise to the occasion only when truly needed.

Thanks in advance
    Stuart

20. honeybears

honeybears New Member

sarah and sams isnt here much anymore but hopefully Sam will see this, and respond, she just got 2 boerbols from Sarah