1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

scared...

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by lynnhaz, Jun 26, 2004.

1. vene

vene New Member

Lynn, Milo has lost quite a bit of weight lately. It maybe because he caught that bug last week. Or it maybe other problems like worms (didn't see any), kidney problems, or cancer etc. I'm just second guessing myself. Hubby thinks it may just be that he excercises a lot and has switched from eating crappy to high quality foods. Hubby doesn't want him to see the vet yet unless it's something more prominent. It's not a money issue. He doensn't want to stress Milo out unneccessarily with a vet visit. I'm really worried. What should I do? Milo is 4 yrs old and seems to be healthy otherwise.

2. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

well vene...weight loss is a warning sign. it could be nothing...but if it were me? i would take him to the vet and have blood work done just in case. maybe he just has worms...in that case the vet can probably just do a fecal and maybe you wouldnt even have to do an exam. with four cats...is it hard for you to monitor how much he eats? like maybe he doesnt eat as much of the new food. dont you have them on wellness?
    when max ingested the tie on my sweat pants...and i was worried that he had more in his intestine...even though he started to eat again...i took him in for xrays, which ended up being a 400.00 day. but at least i knew he was okay. like usually the reason they loose weight is : not eating, have lite food for weight loss, worms, or sick. i mean maybe there are other reasons...but it might be something you need to catch early before it gets worse.

otis was throwing up for about five years before he died. every spring...so i think some of it was an allergy in the air...it would just get worse then. but he was on wd...and i think his system couldnt tolerate it. so...when he had blood tests to rule out problems...his kidney levels were off...not alarmingly...not even considered kidney disease...but just elevated. so...he went on kidney food that was specifically designed to be gentle on the kidneys...low protein so his body didnt have to work so hard to metabolize it (or something like that).

well...i think the kidney food kept him alive...and the only reason is because we caught it early and treated it nutritionally.

i will say a little prayer for milo. i feel a little stressed...dont like anything to be wrong with the kitties...

by the way....had to give max a bath this am...he stepped in his poo. :shock:

3. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

Vene I htink you should call your vet and ask for advice. Weight issues usually mean something mroe serious is going on. Is he still eating okay?
    If you have to hold out on the vet then wait a couple more days and see how Milo is. But I think you should take him in. Cats usually don't just loose weight like that.
    HOw long did it take for him to loose it? Was it a short period of time?
    Hope he's okay :wink:

4. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

good morning bellack1...how is bobo today? and how is his eye?

5. Rosie

Rosie New Member

I am so sorry you had to go through all that it must of been very hard *hugs* I am glad things turned out ok in the end. I am thinking fo you both :)

Rosie x

6. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

thanks rosie...and i really love your saying "and i love my evie cat"....so sweet...just flows

7. vene

vene New Member

Thanks for listening guys. I've decided to keep Milo indoors for a few days and see if he improves on gaining weight. If not, I'm definitely bringing him to the vet and getting his blood work done. Milo's sis Vene died on July 14 and I could swear I saw her yesterday for a split second climbing her favorite recliner in the dining room. I will post her old pics for remembrance when my computer is fixed. Don't go on Morpheus. That's how I got bugged. I was trying to download Train's Ordinary from Spiderman 2. :?

Milo is on Wellness and Pro Plan canned foods. He gets tired of Wellness easily as do the rest of the gang. Petsmart has ProPlan for $.30 each and they love them. For dry foods, he's recently in love with Gold Premium or something like it. Again I have to switch foods around. They are starting to get very finicky.

8. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

good plan vene...he'll probably be okay. max is still doing well...but he is not eating as much on this med mix. isnt loosing weight, though.

9. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

So how is Max doing today??

I sure it was Vene you saw. She will probably show herself a lot more on her anniversary!! She is probably always in your home b/c that's her home and she knows she is (not was) loved very much there. :lol:

10. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

oh, that was nice bellack1....

and thank you...max is good, although his stools are looser yesterday and today. at least he is still not going ten or more times a day. i think the b-12 shot is wearing off. he gets one weekly for a while. he gets neutered tomorrow....hmmmm....poor little guy, getting his kahunas shrunk....you know how guys are.... :shock: there pride and everything :wink: lol

hey vene! how is milo? does he seem okay? please post today if you can for an update.

11. vene

vene New Member

Thanks guys. Bellack, you are truly sweet! At least hubby is not the only one that can see Vene. :p

Lynn, Milo is doing good. I'm feeding him extra to see if I can get some meat back on him. Unfortunately fat Monty shows up to finish the leftovers. :mrgreen: Hubby agreed that if Milo doesn't gain weight by Fri., we are shipping him to the vet. He's still active, alert, verbal, but occassional puking, no more yellow stuff though, no more sneezing. Maybe he just had a bad, bad, viral infection with a combo of running around outside in summer heat to make him lose weight. I don't know. He never lost weight before due to colds.

I'm happy to hear that Max is doing better. Oh boy, tomorrow is the big day. I love your descriptions, they are cracking me up! I'll be thinking of you both. Will Max be NPO by midnight?

12. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

So how old is Max now? Be sure to let us know how his 'operation' goes. Its sad but necessary. I know I'll be pacing when Bobo goes through it.

I hope Milo gets better soon. Its a good idea to get him to the vet soon. I was hoping it was sooner but maybe I'm just too worried.

Let us know whats up!! :mrgreen:

13. vene

vene New Member

Good luck on the surgery Max!

Thanks for your kind thoughts and concern Bellack. Milo is so sad since he can't go outdoors. He's been napping or pacing and meowing a lot. Otherwise he's doing fine.

14. vene

vene New Member

How did Max do on the surgery? I bet he's getting extra, extra TLC from meowmy!

15. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

:eek: HE DID GREAT!!! in fact they called like an hour and a half later and said he could come home...he was awake and alert....did really well.

he wants to get back to his usual routine...jumps up on everything...i kept him in the bedroom yesterday...today he is roaming a little. will probably sleep again today.

thank you for asking vene...how is milo doing?

16. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

Did you have any sightings of your Vene?

17. vene

vene New Member

I knew Max would be a trooper! I'm very happy he did well.
    Thanks for asking about Milo. He's improved quite a bit. He actually looks slightly plumper. Of course he's been eating and sleeping and eating, and sleeping out of boredom. Looks like he may not need to visit the vet after all. :roll:
    Than you so much for thinking about me + Vene. You are right. They may be buddies! Who knows? I think she's a happy cat even in the after life. She was always happy go lucky and a troublesome maker. At least I don't have to worry about her anymore. She's done it (met her maker).

18. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Lynn - I'm happy to hear that Max made it through his surgery with flying colours! Sounds like he'll be back to his old self in no time. That's great!

Vene - Good to hear about Milo. The last thing you need is a sick kitty to deal with during this time. Hope Milo gets back to normal soon.

19. vene

vene New Member

Thank you again Halaroo. You are very thoughtful!

20. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

ditto...halaroo...she doesnt need that right now with the anniversary of vene.

i saw bellacks post...and sighting?