1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

should i clip my cockatiels wings?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by jenniferinsa, Apr 27, 2006.

1. jenniferinsa

jenniferinsa New Member

i've had my cockatiels since she was 2 months old, she is now 1 yr and 4 mths. i have never clipped her wings. my question is, she is some what tamed i.e will fly to my shoulder, let me pet her somewhat. i'm afraid that if i clip her wings now she will never come near me or any other human again...... she loves to fly, would this be wrong to take this freedom away from her?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi Clipping wings is only needed to help with training or if you have your bird outside on your shoulder this way they can not fly high enough to get away from you.

I personally would still not take a clipped bird outside.

Since she is coming along and starting to trust you then i do not see the point or need to clip her wings.

Mike

3. Zeppy`s mom

Zeppy`s mom New Member

I agree with charmedagain. :)

4. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Hi jenniferinsa, this reply may be a little late, sorry, I dont get much time to read down.. :|
    I had a cockatiel who's name was Scooby, I havn't got him anymore, but when I got him, he had his wings clipped already, he absolutley loved being outside with me, if I went outside and sat out there at our table setting I used to bring him with me.. Id bring a little snack for him, so he could pick, and some toys too, he loved it..
    Bearing in mind that I kept an eagle eye out for other birds that might be watching, but as he was very confident nothing much at all un-settled him at all.

He loved going in the car, in the back or sitting on top of the passenger seat..
    Some birds just love it, and are very calm in there personalitys, and some just are to afraid and less confident, so I would not recommend. Each bird is different..
    Clipping of wings is not cruel or harmful, depends on how your relationship is with them..Even if you clip them I'm sure your bird will forgive you.. :D

5. sortethegod

sortethegod New Member

a friend of mine clipps all of her bird's wings for two reaons. 1) so they wont fly into a window or something glass. 2) second is so the bird does not think it is "flock leader". i dont no if this is true or not so i already put it in a post.