1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

the different colors of pit bulls

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by WalkenGirl, Sep 16, 2004.

1. WalkenGirl

WalkenGirl New Member

I've been reading about these dogs for a long time now and really looking forward to finally being able to get one in December, but I still don't fully understand the difference in the colors. What exactly does "blue" mean? And "red"? Does red just refer to the nose? I understand "brindle" , but I see listings like "red fawn" and i think I saw "blue fawn". All the combinations have become confusing.....can someone explain it for me

2. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I'll do my best to help you out and use some of my pics when I can.

Blue is a blue-gray colored dog.

There are also Bluies where parts of their coat show blue/gray colors
    [​IMG]
    Can't see it the best in these pic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Red is a red colored dog.
    [​IMG]
    Red
    [​IMG]

Here is also my light red colored male with a black nose
    [​IMG]

Blue fawn is a fawn with a blue nose

Red fawn A fawn is a dog that is tan with red tones not sure why some one would add red fawn to this? Perhaps if they were a fawn red nose? But red fawns can have black noses.
    [​IMG]
    Fawn (Red Nose)

There are red nose, black nose, blue nose, butterfly nose has some pigment and some flesh colored and then there are dogs with completly flesh colored noses. The UKC reffers to those as Dudley nose.

[​IMG]
    Here is two half siblings with butterfly noses

Here are two red noses, different shades of red one is dark red and one is light red and both have red noses
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yet another shade of red thats almost chocolate
    [​IMG]

There are also dogs with black mask
    [​IMG]

Brindle is striping. There is red brindle, blue brindle, brown brindle, black brindle, buckskin brindle and so many others, just about any combination of colors creating brindle.

[​IMG]
    Brindle

[​IMG]
    Tan brindle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    brown brindle

[​IMG]
    red brindle
    [​IMG]

Here is a basic list of APBT colors

White can have any colored patches
    Black

[​IMG]
    Seal

Brown

Red

Buckskin Tan with yellow tones

Fawn Tan with red tones

Dark Fawn Brown with brown tones

Tan

Brindle

Merle Marble looking color

Ticked think of a coondog

Blue Any shade of blue, gray blue, blue gray

Chocolate

[​IMG]
    Black and Tan Black with tan points (Rott or Dobie type markings)

Red and Tan Red with Tan points

[​IMG]
    Chocolate and Tan Chocolate with tan points

Black and Brindle Black with brindle points (actually a brindle dog, but the black mask the rest of the brindle and it only shows through on the points)

Gray Gray or silver

Liver Is a deep brown with red tones

Bluie Part of the coat has a gray or blue coloring

Sable
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. mellied

mellied New Member

What does it mean by butterfly noses?

4. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

There are red nose, black nose, blue nose, butterfly nose has some pigment and some flesh colored and then there are dogs with completly flesh colored noses, a complete lack of pigment. The UKC reffers to those as Dudley nose.

[​IMG]
    Here is two half siblings with butterfly noses

Both butterfly and flesh colored noses are registered a "red nose" with the ADBA. I'm thinking if you have a dog with a butterfly nose who's pigment is black, then of course they'd be recognized as a black nose. But most of the time its usually the red and lighter colored with the butterfly noses.

[​IMG]
    She is registered as a red nose, but her white brother I don't think I specified, my bad. His just say white and chocolate. Her is red and white red nose.
    [​IMG]

The other brother is a "true" red nose with no lack of pgment.
    [​IMG]

5. mellied

mellied New Member

Forgive my ignorance, I read that part but didn't read it well enough I guess. That is the kind of nose my pit has, a butterfly nose, I had never heard it refered to like that.

6. goob

goob New Member

7. mellied

mellied New Member

That is exactly my Gage, he is a chocolate and white with a butterfly nose. Your one looks almost exactly like mine, too cute.
    HOw many pits do you have total?

8. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Do you have any pics of him?

I have 4 APBTs right now.

9. mellied

mellied New Member

I have pics but I can't figure out how you post them. Can ya help me out?

10. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Yeah.

You have to have them hosted you can use something like picturetrail or photobucket. Once you upload your pics you right click on the pic you want to post. Then you click properties and copy the URL. When you go to post click the IMG buttom below the subject heading and paste the URL then hit the IMG button again. The url will be inside the tags once you post the picture will show up. While your typing you'll just see the tags and the addy.

11. mellied

mellied New Member

[​IMG]

Here we go, this is our little buddy earlier this year when he graduated from puppy class. :eek:

12. juice1348

juice1348 New Member

mine is white, all white head, with brindle spots and brindle back legs!

13. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

Pic didn't work. Where did you host it? Try photobucket.com

14. mellied

mellied New Member

Ok, lets try this again
    [​IMG]

15. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Its a small pic, but from what I can tell very cute dog.

16. mellied

mellied New Member

thank you, he is our little buddy. I must say though that he is SO hyper, which I realize is puppy nature but good lord. We have another dog that is about 6 months older than him and while he is hyper too he is no where near like Gage. All he wants to do is play all the time, which wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have to watch them constantly, I pray everyday that they continue to always get along.