1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

thoughts on nest boxes please

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by katek, Feb 18, 2009.

1. katek

katek New Member

my ruppells currently sleeps on the highest perchin her cage, but i am wondering about getting her a next box for winter. i don't really have adequate heating in the living room, where her cage lives and i want to make sure she's warm enough.

my concerns are: if she takes to the box, will she want to use year round or can i take it out her cage when the weather is warmer? is there any advantage of a nest box over a perch? will it encourage her to lay eggs (something i'd rather not deal with). is there any particular type of box i should get?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi Providing a female bird with a nest will enourage her to start laying eggs, If the room is not very warm what I suggest is getting a blanket that yu can put over the cage at night but leave a couple of inches at the bottome of the cage uncovered to allow air to circulate.

I would not give her a nest box unless you plan on breeding even then breeding during the winter is a really bad idea as this can result in egg binding which is life threatening if not noticed and dealt with straight away..

Mike

3. katek

katek New Member

thanks for the advice.
    no, i don't plan on breding with her, but having lost one baby cockatiel on a very cold winter's day (with a heater in the room) i'm a little bit parnoid about the cold.
    i do cover her cage every night, with a light cotton sheet since the weather has been warm. i;ll find a warmer blanket for the winter.
    if i cover part of her cage during the day in winter, will this help to keep her warm enough?

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Covering the cage helps trap heat in, When it was really cold i used to cover the cage but not the front of the cage, I only covered the whole cage on a night.

So you can do that, Some heaters give off toxins like heaters while teflon in the as this is really toxic to birds..

Mike