1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Tieing a dog out?

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by GlenC, Mar 2, 2005.

1. GlenC

GlenC New Member

I have seen a few of your pictures where you have your dog tied out on a chain. I was wondering how you keep them from wrapping themselves around the pole/post you have them attatched too. Any time I put Dozer out within minutes he has wrapped himself up so close to the pole he can hardly move.

Thanks in advance

glen

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

There is a way to tie them out that is a 'bit' safer, you need to get a long wire, put it a few inches up from the ground and run it about 10-20 feet, the chain then attaches to this so the dog doesnt have a pole or anything to wrap himself around.
    That said though whenever a dog is tied up to anything unsupervised there is always a good chance that at some point he will either choke or get it wrapped around the chest and suffocate, we've treated dogs that have had lines, chains, leashes twisted so tightly around a leg or foot that weve had to amputate limbs and its pretty horrific when the dog itself after becoming tangled has then tried to chew off a leg or tail.
    Sorry to be a little too graphic there but this is the reality,
    What is the need for tieing out, is it not possible to crate your dog when you cant be there? Is it possible to build a run in the yard?

3. GlenC

GlenC New Member

Yes it is possible to crate him and he is some times. I just wanted him to be able to be outside at times when I may not be able to watch him every second. The dog run is a great idea however funds will not allow such a project right not. But I will have one in the future.

Thanks

Glen

4. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

The best thing to do is to get an Axel and an O Ring, you take the O Ring and lay it on the ground where you want the Axel, then you pound the Axel in the ground putting it through the O Ring you leave about 6-8" out of the ground. You connect the chain to the O Ring and you also need a swivel on the other end. So the chain should be free spinning around the O Ring and the Swivel also allows the chain itself to spin so that it doesn't get twisted and tangled up. I know people who have been using this set up for 30 years they have never had any problems with dogs dying or needing amputations, the only reason any such thing would ever happen is because of a crappy improper chain set up.
    I'd much rather be responsible then another pit bull statistic.

5. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Well maybe working in emergency hospitals for over 15 years has put me off keeping dogs chained up, Ive seen a few that have ripped their teeth out trying to chew through the chains also.

As for building a run, if you go to a pet store and buy a run that is already made up it can be expensive but I made a good size run for one of my dogs about 2 years ago, I bought all the metal fencing and gate from Home Depot, it cost about a third of what the pet stores charge....hard work putting it together though but worth it for the price.

6. Sara

Sara New Member

You'll need a top for the dog run if you plan to keep the dog in it when you are not home. You'll need to also make it dig out proof as well... RIGHT out of the gate to hinder your dog from escaping. Some dogs are fine but others... ARE NOT... MOST pits I know will climb out of a dog run with relative ease and are more than happy to do so. I've also seen MILLIONS of breeds of dogs dig out... If you go the run route...put a top on it and make sure the bottom is secure so it cannot be pulled up from the bottom...Pits are strong...if they can't dig they'll rip they're way out...pulling the fence up from the bottom... Then make it dig proof with brick tile stuff, pretty wide and heavy so that they cannot move it out of the way...

OR you could chain the dog on the Axel set up... I've never heard of problems with this set up... I'm with True on the thought that most injuries are caused by improper chain set up... Make sure also that there's nothing that the Pit can hang itself on in BOTH scenarios (chain or run)...

7. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Hmmm My apologies....while Ive been told by owners of some of these dogs that have been injured or worse that the chain set up was from a pet store, it never occured to me to ask which type or brand they were using.
    I gave an opinion based on my knowledge and experience with tieing out in general.

8. Sara

Sara New Member

The point of asking questions on this type of forum is in order to gain the knowledge from SEVERAL different points of views based on several different types of experiences so your points were not made in vein in any way... the WRONG set up can cost you dearly in the dog's life or serious injury and vet care... The WRITE set up is out there but whether you want to make that work for you is a whole different ball game...

I think BOTH are good...done the RIGHT way...but both can also be very bad and cause serious problem. I'd opt for Crating if you can't do it right either way...

9. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I think Sara is right, both are good if done right but its hard to do a run right if its not for your dog. If a run isn't going to contain them then its pointless when they get out they can cause trouble or be hit by a car or picked up by AC. I use runs also and all my dogs are chained inside the run. I don't want to be another irresponsible Pit owner statistic for not properly containing my dogs. I was thinking about building my own runs, I still might I'm sure it'd be cheaper and I could do it how I want. But for now I have 3 runs I purchased, I have pictures of them too, you can see one ripped to shreds and I took the gate off also, the other one my pup just put wholes in the back, right side and opposite corner of the gate. My other one, the one Val's in, is just fine she never tries to break out of her kennel. So you have to know your dog and do the best you can with them. I want some of those cool really nice welded steel kennels that I can put cement around the perimeter and a roof over so they will be almost excape proof so I don't have to worry so much. I'd also like to build some indoor climate controlled runs.

Here is what they generally look like. If you can find these your in business.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chainlink Kennels are pretty much crap and cause a lot more problems then chains. They are pretty simple to escape.

10. Sara

Sara New Member

My 11 week old Boerboel puppy when I got her ripped holes in her chain link run... Keeping more than one together helps keep her occupied...but I have to put re-inforcement wire around the bottom, keep up on her holes and now a lid as the adult female has learned how to jump out... I don't even try to kennel the pits...

EVERY day I check for new holes or weak spots on the dog runs and make sure there is a pretty dog proof containment area that they'd escape into rather than the street... I've had TWO close calls though with the youngest Boerboel... The new place I have is dig proof and is privacy fence on one side and garage wall on the other, the dogs are not collard in the runs just in case and only the gate section is chain link.