1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Today is the worst day of my entire life.

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Chessmind, May 20, 2004.

1. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Mazyku, Alkaline, FmGurl43, Lynnhaz, Vene, Samsintentions, Ia_Cat_Lover, Dolly, Lucidity03, Momma, Mybigfunny, Catwoman, Lil96, Joan and Karleysimon, thank you all so much for the posts you all left after the one I wrote. Just like the previous posts they all made me cry too.

Although, I still miss my Handsome so much, I do feel a little better. I think all that crying helped. I've been looking at things in a more positive light and realized things could have been far worse. For instance, I could have not woken up at 5:00 a.m. to that horrible noise and not ever found Handsome alive. He could have passed away alone and I still would not have known where he is to this day. Sometimes not knowing is worse than knowing what happened, no matter how tragic. I'm thankful I was at least able to spend time with him in his last moments.

I don't ever want to lose a fur animal like this again. Although, I'm not ready right now to have another kitty/kitties I know myself well enough to know that I will eventually be ready to have one or more. Right now, I just want to be prepared for that day. I have been looking into enclosing my entire property. However, there was something I had overlooked. I cannot enclose my entire property, as I have many trees. Any cat could just climb up the trees and hop over the enclosure. So, I am now at the point where I am looking to build an actual cat enclosure on part of my property. It would lead out from one of the cat doors, that way any future cats I had could come and go as they please during the day from the house to the large outdoor enclosure.

I am looking for contractors that are familiar with this idea, as well as trying to find manuals/books/blueprints to be able to build this. I have only found one website with this concept. However, they are no longer in business.

So if anyone knows of a book/manual/web-site with very specific plans for a cat outdoor enclosure, I would be very grateful if you could post it for me. Here is a link to the website that I am unable to contact. This is exactly what I want to build, but larger.

http://www.just4cats.com/post5.html

Also, perhaps I should post a seperate post for all of these questions, but if anyone reads this I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on cats that are so well harrness trained that you can take them just about anywhere. I think this is something I want to do. Is it possible to start training two kittens from a very early age to go with you to all kinds of places and actually enjoy it? Please don't post to tell me to get a dog. I love dogs very much, but ideally what I would like in the future are two cats.

Thank you.

2. nern

nern New Member

I'm glad you are feeling a little better Chessmind. If I come across any blue prints for large cat enclosures I'll be sure and let you know.

3. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

...psssst....mew....chessmind...shhhh....im not supposed to be on the computer...my mommy doesnt like it...but i am sneaky sometimes and she doesnt even know anything. i am really glad you wrote back...i missed you. my mommy told me that you have tried to help me by telling her some things to do. and she told me you were sad too. i am sorry. i have lots of friends who like to go for walks on those things you were talking about...my first mommy and some of my cousins that look like me...and the other kitties where i grew up...they all said they like to walk on those things. i heard it was something kinda already inside me...
    so...i think you should think about getting a kitty like me, cause most of us like to walk on those things. i wish i could go for a walk right now. could you come take me for a walk? my mommy is asleep and she doesnt like to be woke up...so, here is something i found to help you cause you have helped me. look up "bengals harness training". and even if you dont get a kitty like me...your kitties will be lucky cause they get to go out and have fun...can i come over to play with your new kitties? i promise i'll be good. i promise...i wont break anything. i know my mommy doesnt believe me...but i promise. your house sounds like it's gonna be really fun. oooh...oooh....i think i hear her coming. shhh......oops! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Hi Chessmind. I'm happy you're back and feeling a bit better. About harness training - Moe was 2 when I got her and actually very easy to harness train. We now take her for car rides and to the office on weekends. She loves the "freedom" and comes running when I jingle the harness.

I love the cat enclosure idea. It's something my husband and I always discuss but not doable in our current house. If I come upon any blue prints I'll let you know.

5. vene

vene New Member

I'm so happy you're back and that you're feeling a little better.
    Cat enclosures are great idea. Personally I don't think they look that great. They look like giant bird cages. I'm sure all cats would go crazy for them. I guess if I owned a huge lot of land with no neighbors around, I would not mind building the type you pictured. I would use pvc posts instead of pressure treated wood posts. Then I wouldn't have to worry about structural damage in the future due to rot.
    We thought about building a patio enclosure for our cats then we decided on a 4 season sun room. The cats adore that room. They are there most of the time breathing fresh air and looking at birds and squirrels. Milo is the only one not satisfied. He always has the urge to go out and hunt. It's in his genes. I suppose if I never introduced the outdoors to Vene and Milo, they never would've gone hunting. Milo has the need to spend a couple of hours outside everyday. Rene, our bengal has similar urges like Vene. We have never introduced the outdoors to her and she is fine in the sun room.
    [​IMG]

6. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Hey Chess!!!

Building an incloser like your wanting isn't all that hard!!!! ANy general contractor in your area could build tht easilly! Just remeber when you hire them to do it. You will want the wire to be buried at least 6 inches in the ground all the way around. That way nothing can dig in or out of it!

I'll do some web searches and see what I can find!

7. mybigfunny

mybigfunny New Member

Hey,

So glad you're feeling a bit better, you seem like a very strong person. I've been thinking of you and Handsome every day. Isn't it funny how you can care about someone that you don't even really know? I guess that's how strongly loving animals can influence us.

Although I like them too, I certainly would hope no one would tell you to get a dog. I don't think that would be very appropriate. It's good that you feel okay about eventually letting another kitty into your heart. He/she will be a lucky one, or two!

Good luck with your enclosure idea.

8. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Thank you, Nern, Lynnhaz, Halaroo, Vene, Samsintentions and Mybigfunny.

Nern: Yes, please post anything you happen to find. Dolly was sweet enough to post a cat enclosure post with many links.

Lynnhaz: LOL. I'm not sure what kind of kitties I'll be getting. Knowing me they will be either rescue kitties or shelters kitties. When the time comes and I look for my two new fur animals, I will know which ones will be the perfect match for me. Perhaps they will be rescued Bengals. You never know. :wink:

Halaroo: That's great that you were able to harness train her later in life. I am also glad that Moe enjoys going with you places. This is something that I really want to do. So, that gives me hope. My # 1 priority is that any fur animal of mine is happy. So, if they didn't like going places with me, then of course I would never force them. I just thought that if they were trained young enough they may really enjoy a rich, active and social life. It's good to know that an adult kitty may accomplish this as well.

Vene: Thanks for the tip on building something that does not rot. That's very important information. Your pic didn't show up. Was it of your 4 season sun room? I'd sure like to see it.

Samsintentions: The few contractors I have spoken with have never built a cat enclosure. I had to show them some pics and explain to them what I wanted built. Although my future cats will not be allowed outside at night, I still want to be super safe and have the wire be at least 4-6 ft below ground. That way no animal could dig their way into the enclosure and harm the kitties.

Mybigfunny: I don't think you would have thought I was a very strong person the first four days after my best pal Handsome passed away. I literally cried for four days straight. I was a mess. However, after I got it all out, I started to be able to look at things more clearly and in a more positive light. No amount of crying or wishing will ever bring my Handsome back, but I realized that I was one of the luckiest people in the whole world to have known and loved such a wonderful cat. In my eyes he really was the greatest and I'll always be thankful that I got to be apart of his life.

I want my future kitties to be as happy as Handsome was, yet at the same time be safe. This is the first time we as a town have ever had coyotes here. I do feel bad for the wildlife that is getting pushed out of their home due to development, as well as all the cats who may have the same fate as Handsome due to the hungry coyotes just looking for food.

9. Jody

Jody New Member

Dear Chessmind, I am so sorry about your little guy that passed on. My thoughts are with you at this time. God Bless you!

10. vene

vene New Member

Sorry Chessmind. Here are a couple of pics of the 4 season sunroom. The babies hang out there all the time!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You might want to try to find fence contractors or landscape contractors to install your enclosures. They will have the proper tools to level out your enclosures. You never know with general contractors because they may not have as much experience in dealing with post installation etc.

Jeez, my brains must be fried. It's 1:15AM and I can't get the pics to load.

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/May20045274405571020211908.jpg[img]

[img]http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/May20045281939590971832896.jpg
    [​IMG]

11. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Thanks Vene. I tried to post your pics, but the link isn't correct and photoisland is not spelled right). You can try again when you've had some proper sleep. I look forward to seeing them. Also thanks for the good info.

Jody, thank you as well for your kind words.

12. vene

vene New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey Chessmind, I finally figured out that copying and pasting the url is easier than typing and making typos!

13. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Vene. What a great looking sun room! Not to mention your beautiful cats and little boy. Look at the size of your yard. It's huge. You have enough room to build an outdoor cat enclosure out there. :wink: You're lucky your property is nice and flat/level. Mine is not at all, that's why I can only build the enclosure and certain parts of my propery. Not to mention I have tons of various trees that the enclosure will have to be built around. Thanks for posting those pics. It's looks great. Whoever built it did a very nice job.

14. vene

vene New Member

Thanks for the compliments Chessmind. My property is .43 of an acre and it does not look as great as the picture. My lot is not really level at all. It's flat on the left side and it dips in a ditch on the right side (not pictured and lined with trees).

I know it's more of a pain to build an enclosure on a wooded lot, but it'll be more fun and interesting for your future pair of kitties. They will be so lucky to have you as their daddy! I could already imagine how much fun it'll be for them if they can climb trees inside your enclosure. They'll also be getting good food (Wellness, right?), and lots of love and attention.

15. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

vene!!! your little boy is adorable...and....of course the kitties are too. i have been offline all weekend for memorial day. just got back online and saw the pics...gotta go check the other posts...hi rene! i see you...hi everybody....all the pretty kitties looking out the window. i agree, great sunroom and property. at least in the pics!