1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Training is now in session!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by hermann muenster, Apr 20, 2006.

1. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

Last night was the frist training class for my pup!
    It is just a class through our park district. I didn't need anything too intense - just some group work and socializing.

This is the best group of dogs I have ever seen in a class! It is a small class - on 10 dogs and none (not one!) of the dogs is aggressive or was fearful. All the people had there dogs there to help them get better with listening and obeying commands! There were 4 dogs with shaved bellies - including my little guy! I was very, very impressed with how responsible all of dog owners in this group are. With all of the classes I have been to, there have always been more than a few dogs that were there as a last hope! The owners had decided to take them to a class to try to shape-up the dog or the dog was going to go!!

Well, last night was just pretty much the intro class - we started with "Sit" and a 5 second "Stay" (when you pivot in front of the dog). And our homework is to practice those two commands and practice walking on a short lead. This is to get the dog used to walking close to thier owner on the left side - so next week we will begin heeling.

My guy did terrible! As expected. He kept laying down when it was time to sit and he jumped up on me - asking me to take him home - and split my lip. (Today I have a big fat bruised lip.) I was bleeding, and all I had in my pocket was an emergency 'pick-up' bag, so I had to wipe the blood on my sleeve (yuck!). I think that I was pretty cool about the whole thing considering the pain and embarassment. I don't think that everyone noticed the blood running down my chin!

I have the next few weeks to practice 15minutes a day with him. He is very bright - a little stubborn - but very, very willing to please. I know that he is going to do just fine.

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

how fun! brings back not so fond memories of training :mrgreen:

3. hermann muenster

It was fun! And we have a lot of practicing to do - but the pay-off is so worth it!
    Very few people have been gifted to own a dog that naturally heeled, came when called, or sit and stayed when needed. All of the practicing also pays off with the incredible bond between the dog and owner. It is the best feeling!
    And, unlike children - you can see your reward within a couple of months - not 18 or 21 years!

4. hermann muenster

One more week left to this training class --- My little guy is probably going to "graduate" in the lower 10% of his class!

He is so funny during class time! More interested in eating every dandelion in the field, and perfecting his rolling on his back techniques rather than learning to "stay" and "come"!

It has been so much fun!!!

By the way - it is so embarrassing - at 90# he still wants a little leg up to get into the car! He puts his front paws in the car and whines until I lift one of his back legs up for a boost!

I really have great hopes for this little guy - he is so smart and has such a sweetie.