1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

what does everyone do for a job?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by honeybears, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I love how you Aussies say "maths". :wink:

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Oh I'm the same way!!! Give me and algebra problem, and you've got yourself a problem!! But tell me to draw, or ask me a logical question about science or med and I"m yours!!!

I'm not booksmart by anymeans. But I'm not dumb either. I passed all my classes with b's....science's with a's.....

I don't see why you've got to pay thousands of dollars to retake all the classes you've taken for the past 12 years!!! If I'm going into a profession that requires alot of the skills and knowledge, I can understand the reason for taking that class, but come on!!!! What do I need to know any more about Nepoleaon if I'm going to be a NURSE!!!!! And how is that ever going to help me with raising my family and animals???hmmmm????!!!????

Tonight I start my first class! BOWLING!!!! Whaoooo!!! We went bowling a few weeks ago and I scored a whoping 25! (aparently the game is not like golf, lower scores are bad! oopsy)

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Studying history adds to your "general knowledge" and makes you a more well-rounded person. Or so my 8th grade English teacher told us.

Hopefully you will have an instructor that is less worried about dates and facts you can look up and more interested in WHY things happened and the human side of the equation. History teaches a lot about human nature, and knowing what happened in the past can help us avoid repeating mistakes in the future. And you can win money on Jeopardy!

That being said, I know very little history. But I am taking an International Relations class this semester to try to learn about current events and how they relate to history and where we are headed in the future!

4. Samsintentions

Well I've had him before. He's a 25 yr old fresh out of College boy from Louisianna. Just moved to Texas, never took one Tx history class or even knew who the father of TX was!!!!! And yet he taught us TX HISTORY!!!
    Needless to say, I got a D+ and that was the highest grade in the class!!!
    I had a night class of 9 I don't know how many will be in this evening class, but its the same instructor and hopefully he knows a little more about US history than he did TX!!

You know how he got around all of it??? We taught the class!!!! Two students paired up and gave a 3 hr long lecture on an event in TX history!!!!

5. Jules

Jules New Member

Whats algebra??!!! :0011: :mrgreen:
    We never even learnt history at school, or geography. (But we had a dance class!)
    Needless to say I run from the room if someone pulls out trivial pusuit!!!

6. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

LMAOOOOOO at Jules :)

7. Angie

Angie New Member

Algebra is a math.
    I don't like algebra, I do like geometry (sp?) though.
    I hate history.

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

A lot of "non-math" people can tolerate Geometry. I like algebra - it's fun! Geometry was silly. The only point is learning logical thought processes (used in geometry in the proofs).

9. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

I'll weigh in on the math discussion. I did not really do well in advanced Algebra as I go lost in the theory however I enjoyed the logical problem solving of basic algebra. Fortunately I did really well and enjoyed Trig which is applicable in my profession for it's basis for land surveying and engineering. That reminds me of my all-time favorite pun.

There once lived three pregnant squaws.
    One squaw slept on a deer hide.
    One squaw slept on a bear hide.
    And the third squaw slept on the hide of a hippopotamas.
    The squaw that slept on the deer skin soon gave birth to a son, and likewise the squaw that slept on the bear skin.
    But the squaw that slept on the skin of the hippotamus gave birth to twin baby boys.
    That proves that the sons of the squaw of hippopotamus are equal to the sons of the squaws of other two hides.....
    OK, now you can groan. :D

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

LOL! :lol:

11. Samsintentions

huh???

Anyhow. Got through my first Bowling class!!! he he he..waht a joke!!!! I can't believe I'm spending $350 to bowl 23 games on my own. yup, I have to bowl on my own with friends and family 23 times before Dec 15th. I have to sign a card print out with my score each time.....ugh...at least the lanes are free and shoes for me!!

We got to bowl (just for fun) last night, and I scored a whoping 69!! Yahoo!!!

Ugh... I fiugred it would be at least a graded on how you Improved or something...not such a flop! I'm serious. If I bowl (and score's don't matter) 23 times like I'm supposed to (and I can do it all on one day if I choose, though I wouldn't...) then I pass the class with an A....

College....what a joke....

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Fortunately, there was no phys ed requirement at my college. Are you at a junior college?

I loved college. I went to Northwestern University, south of Chicago. It was awesome! I went straight from high school to college (and I was only 17), so I was a kid with a lot of freedom and little responsiblity. My parents were paying for it, so my only responsibility was to do well and be safe. It rocked! And for the first time in my life, the classes were challenging and went at a fast enough pace. And no one made fun of you for being smart. I was in heaven.

I don't think I have ever broken 100 in bowling. Maybe once. And my first game is always the best one - I go downhill from there.

13. Samsintentions

I'm attending Blinn to get my basics out of the way. Close to home and small classes. Plus they don't require on campus living, so I can stay at home and take care of my babies..

he heh...bowling...I don't think I've ever bowled sober, so thats probably why I bowled that score!!! It was good for me!!!! The last time I got a 25!!!

he he he... I can't wait to start Nursing school. I love medical stuff, trauma, the whole blood guts and gore. I like the fast pace, common scence and getup and go about the whole thing. The only thing I'm not going to like is the long hours away from home (Victoria is a good 1.5 hrs from the house) and the 8-5 butt wiping I'll have to do. I want to go strait to the top, and thats just the way I've always been. I work my butt off to get where I am and still want more. I don't want to be the one that works 10 years of their life to finally get a $0.50 raise. I want to do what I gotta do, get it over with so I can rule the roost!!!!
    If I had the brains and the grades, I'd be a neuro sugeon or trama surgeon!!! YEah!!! Right in the action is where I wanna be!!!!

I guess I'm just saying I like being Queen B***H and not being told constantly what to do. I like the unexpected......

I've been trying to read a bit to curb my Stress (by the way did you ever find out anything?) and I've really gotten into the Tess Gerritsen series. She's a great author and I love the medical stuff in it!! I've gone through half my medical terms just from reading her books, stoping and looking up what each term means!

14. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I wanted to be a doctor. I had the grades and probably could have got into any med school in the country. But I was getting burned out and was getting married, so I took some time off after I graduated. I ended up getting pregnant on our honeymoon. Then med school was out of the question - the hours are too long and I felt my kids would not benefit.

At one point I decided to settle for nurse and applied at the local junior college. I got in, but I turned it down. I couldn't be a nurse. The doctors look down on you and I couldn't handle that, knowing I am probably smarter than most of them. :) And nurses work long, HARD hours doing nasty things for very little thanks. Still a good, rewarding job, but I think I would be very frustrated at the lack of power and know-it-all doctors.

So then a few years later, I decided to be a nurse-practitioner. They do a lot of the same things that doctors do. You have to become a nurse first and then take more courses. This time I applied to University of Kansas and again I got in - but turned it down. The nurse practioner's program was too far away and I couldn't handle the time away from my kids.

I have toyed with going to med school, but the money is HUGE and so is the time commitment. And I am worried that I would not be able to really practice medicine because of insurance red tape and malpractice and all that crap. Many doctors are frustrated by those things. And again, I worry about the time away from my family.

I do love medical stuff, though, and I have picked up a passing knowledge of many things along life's journey.

15. dogangel

dogangel New Member

Iam the circulation manager for the local newspaper. And odd enough, I hate math ](*,) . As far as I'm concerned, I think calculus and advanced math is just a kind of mind game for the initiated... You never really need it in real life... All I ever needed was the basic four - adding, substracting, multiply and divide... That's pretty much it. Now about history and geography, that's something else... Love them. Just ask me anything in world geography and history and you'll most likely get your answer... :p

16. Samsintentions

Jamiya. Forget about the kids, forget about the money and go for what YOU want to do. Your children are old enough now to understand that you too have dreams and goals. Besides, How cool would it be to have a Dr for a MOM!!!!!
    You can get scholarships, grants, and financial aid to help you out.

I have a 78 yr old lady that was in my English class. I asked her why she was taking classes at her age, and she told me that she finally figured out that nothing else in the world matters but yourself. If people truely love you, they will support you. There are hard times but nothing that you can't handle.

SO I've made it a priority of myself to do what I want to do and not what I think others want me to do. PERIOD!!!

17. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

There are no scholarships or grants for med school. It's all loans, and you can expect to graduate with about $100,000 in loans.

I am finding other ways to be happy. I have come to the opposite conclusion - family and people are the only things that matter. I want to grow old with someone who I have been married to for 60 years, who will sit by my bed every day at the nursing home - like Grandpa. I want my kids to love me so unquestioningly that they think nothing of flying out to sit at my bedside when I need them. I want to lie in that bed remembering the "good ole days". People never say they regret not working more - they always regret not taking the time to spend with their families.

I suppose I might regret not following my dream. But dreams don't always reflect the reality. Being a doctor is not what it used to be. How sad would it be if I sacrifice time with my family and our financial security to end up doing something that isn't what I expected it to be? So I follow smaller dreams now - like riding lessons, that we can't really afford but I've wanted to do since I was small.

The kids would understand. Or they'd say they understood, but they would still get that empty feeling in their stomachs when everyone's parents are at the band concert except theirs, because Mom is on call. Or when my son makes an amazing play in soccer and Mom wasn't there to see it because someone else's kid has the flu.

*I* don't want to miss those things. I love the band concerts and soccer games and dance recitals. I would cry for weeks if I had to miss the dance recital! I have nightmares for weeks beforehand about getting the dates confused and missing it.

I just need to find a way to be the person I was supposed to be AND be there for my kids at the same time. There has to be a way, and I'm still young.

Besides, think what else I would have to give up - travel, vacations, spur of the moment trips to visit family, riding lessons, agility. The list goes on. I want the freedom to move if we get the opportunity and the time and money to travel.

How could we afford to keep feeding the animals if I lost my income?

It's never simple.

18. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Angie we get calls from Alarm monitering all the time so that is cool I now know someone who works there LOL!

I actually love algebra, call me wierd but when people have questions they come to me. I could do it in my sleep! I really love history too but dont get too much time anymore to study up! In school I would go through one obsession or the other with history, Thomas Jefferson was a favorite and Egyptians love that stuff! LOL OK I guess I am wierd but I love my discovery and national geographic channels!

19. Jules

Jules New Member

It's funny to see what everyone else is in to. I have a gift of seeing a plant and being able to identify it and remember it's name and growing conditions. But I can't remember my bank balance! I am crap with money!!! Whether I have it in the bank or not... who knows. Sometimes I am scraping by, sometimes not. But I really don't care. Money has alot to answer for (or the people who put it above all else) so I don't place a great deal of importance on it. Sure, I need it and want more, but I will never sacrifice my morals or beliefs to get more of it. It's true about that saying where people on their death bed dont wish they had worked more, they also don't wish they had've bought that big screen tv. Jamiya your head is screwed on the right way! I also believe family and friends are important, I try to see my family and friends as often as I can. (And work as little!! lol) stuff overtime! I have a partner who is very work driven and I fear he may learn his lessons in life when it is too late... it's no good telling him, you have to work it out on your own. I'm a hedonist. (sp?) I believe the goal in life is to be happy. I always try to be good to people and do the right things. I used to be a bit of a self centred teenager (aren't they all?) and thought the most important thing was to be 'cool' and was so worried about what other people thought of me. I am so much happier since I figured out that's not the way to live. Follow what drives you, what inspires you...
    Anyway, I was saying... I'm also good at those shape quiz things in the iq tests too, you know the ones: 'which shape is the odd one out?'
    And I know algebra is a type of maths but it's all the same to me!!
    I have some pretty useless skills! I'm good at spelling but don't think my grammer's(sp?lol) too hot. my partners a SHOCKING speller!! But everyone has skills in different areas.
    Man I'm going on, someone shut me up... my partners on holidays and I am bored and drinking alone! He is in spain and I am here in
    Preston (my crappy home town) pulling dog poo out of Leela's butt and picking up dead rats from my garage!!!
    (for those of you who must know... Leela had some stringy poo hanging out that I had to pull out because it was giving her grief... I think she's been eating hair or fibres or something!!! Plus on the same day I found a dead stiff rat lying on the floor in the middle of the garage which I had to pick up and put in the bin...)
    ok I'm going now I told you someone should shut me up

20. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Pet sitting.