1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

When to fix our dog.

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by chalms, Jun 28, 2004.

1. chalms

chalms New Member

We have a 7 month yellow lab. He is almost 60 pounds & a field lab. He is a male..doesn't lift his leg yet to pee & has shown no signs yet of humping. Our vet says we should get him fixed asap...the puppy trainer had said to wait as long as possible. What do you all think? When is the proper time to fix him? Thanks.

2. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

GO with your vet.
    Why would the trainer want you to wait ?
    I have never given such advise and see know reason why I should, I could give you all kinds of reasons for not waiting.

2pyrs

3. lil96

lil96 New Member

ASAP is 95% always accurate! I don'T know why your trainer said to wait. Did (s)he give an explanation. It was really simple when Luther had it done, it looked a little painful, but he didn't show that it hurt. and before he had it done I never really knew how it worked! ANyway best thing is to go and have it done, before it is too late!

4. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

I think I'd take a vet's advice over a trainer's advice! For our 2 females, we were told the 6 month mark would be a good time for us to get them spayed.. not sure if the time table is different between males & females, but I thought I'd pass that along anyway :D

5. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

You want to get them fixed before they start doing all of the unwanted stuff. I got mine neutered at 6 mos. I did it that early to curb any aggressive/dominant behavior. There is no reason that I know of to wait longer than 6 mos.

6. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Hello & Welcome to the board!
    IMO You should go ahead with your vet's advice and have your dog neutered now. Your dog will leran to lift his lef to pee in his own due time. I have heard of some males not lifting their legs until 2 years of age. And Labs mature at a very slow pace. As for as the humping thing....I would be thanking my lucky stars he's not doing it. I have a female Pekingese who does it and it can be very embarrassing.
    Good Luck to you.

7. nern

nern New Member

I agree with the others....take your vets advice and get him neutered now before the undesirable behaviors begin.

8. oso

oso New Member

IS HUMPING A SIGN OF NEEDING TO BE FIXED, CAUSE OSO IS 2 AND A HALF MOS. AND IS HUMPING HIS BIG STUFFED ANIMAL, IS HE TOO YOUNG TO GET FIXED

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Humping is not necessarily a sign that a dog needs to be fixed. It is mostly just play behavior at your pup's age.

Many vets will now spay or neuter at 8 weeks or older. If your vet is comfortable with it, you can get Oso fixed now. The surgery is supposed to be easier when they are younger - the animal bleeds less and heals more quickly. All of our shelters spay/neuter before letting the animal go home. We have never had a problem with it.

For the 7 month old male dog - GET HIM FIXED! You don't want to wait for all the trouble behaviors to begin, or they won't all go away after getting him neutered. Usually neutering is fairly easy on the dog, compared to spaying for a female.

Jamiya

10. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Get him fixed. You will be thankful you did. I didnt end up spaying my dog until 17 months and she was not up to par for a good 4 days. When you get it done young they heal so much faster!!

As for the lifting the leg, my mom's yellow lab didnt' lift his leg until he was 3 yrs. old so don't feel bad about that. He will do it on his own.

11. chalms

chalms New Member

many thanks

I am making the appointment to get him fixed today. I don't know why the puppy trainer had told me to put it off...but she did. He is no longer in that class anyway. Thank you all for the advice...the concensous was 9 get him fixed...0 wait!