1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

why is my cockatiel doing this

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Brazilian Soccer School, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Hi

Tried to ask this question the other day, but cannot find it to check for any replies. I am new to this site so still trying to find my way around it. My Question: My cockatiel keeps sitting o the food dish for long periods and it looks like its a nest for her, can anyone give any reason for this? this is my first cockatiel

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi, How long have you had your cockatiel, is it male or female?
    My cockatiels sit on the food dishes all the time but the males to it more its like they are guarding there food supply.

I have never known a cockatiel to use a food dish as a nest as they like there nest covered thats why most cockatiels will hide under paper that is used to line the cage floor..

Mike

3. Hi Mike

I have her about 8 months, (well the guy I bought it of said it was a female) Maybe I worded it wrong didn't mean she was using it as a nest, I only have the one but it spends most of the time ( when its in the cage) sitting in or on the food dish. are you saying this would be normal behaviour ?

Ray

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Yes sounds like normal behaviour, aslong as she is eating drinking and acting normal or sitting with her feathers fluffed up and looking depressed then everything will be fine.

Does she have toys in her cage to keep her occupied? how often is she allowed out of the cage.

My tiels have swings and rope toys to play with and i allow them out for 30mins each day to have a fly about and sit with me...

Depending on the colour of your tiel it will should be easy to tell what sex your bird is...

Mike

5. that sounds better she is eating and drinking, she also sits all fluffed up etc, she has toys in the cage no swings though. She is grey or at least thats what it looks like shes going to be as there is still a mixture of white feathers still there