1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

125 cichlid tank ?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fish Addict, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

hi i have 125 gal cichlid tank i was wonder if i had enough space to put in 4 red zebra
    right now i have
    Ps Demasoni
    Ps Demasoni
    Ps Kenyii
    Ps Kenyii
    Ps Kenyii
    Yellow Lab
    Yellow Lab
    Yellow Lab
    Pearl Zebra
    Pearl Zebra
    Yellow Tail Blue Acei
    Yellow Tail Blue Acei

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

As far as bioload goes, you should be fine adding them. I have 11 adult africans in my 55 w/o any problems. The only thing I'd be worried about is aggression, but that's always a bit of a gamble with cichilds.

-Chelle

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

well they would all grow up together they are all babys right nowthey are all about 1 inch

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Just give them lots of caves and you should be fine.

-Chelle

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

hey t_chelle16 what other africans would you put in this tank??

6. Hooben

Hooben New Member

That's the thing about africans, the more you crowd them the less aggressive they seem to become. They can't really form territories as well when they are crowded. 125 gallons is a great size for africans!

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

As long as you stick to lake Malawi you should be okay. There are literally hundreds of species to choose from. The major limiting factor will be what your LFS can get in. FWIW, I've noticed that the "assorted african cichild" tanks at the LFS's here are all Malawi cichilds. The only fish I would avoid are Melanochromis sp. They can be extremely aggressive (although my 2 are pretty passive).

In my 55 gallon I have:
    3 Pseudotropheus lombardoi (kenyi)
    2 Melanochromis auratus (like I said, mine are really passive)
    2 Pseudotropheus socolofi (powder blue cichlids)
    2 Aulonocara hybrids (OB peacocks)
    3 Labidochromis caeruleus (yellow labs)

-Chelle

8. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

so hooben how many more africans do you think i could put in ?
    i was orginally thinking 12 more but i didn't want to over do it soo i thought i would check. i was going with the 1gal per 1 inch of adult fish rule

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I think you can easily fit about 20 - 25 in that tank. Like Hooben said, it is actually a good idea to overstock your african cichlids a bit (assuming you have lots of caves & enough filtration).

-Chelle

10. Hooben

Hooben New Member

It's not like they are really dirty or anything...they eat every scrap of food in sight! Just keep your eye on those parameters and get yourself a good filter. Chelle is right, go for it and have fun!

11. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i have two filters on there right now
    eheim 2028 pro 2
    and
    fluval 304

12. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

so is that 20 25 more on top of my 12 or total

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

20 - 25 total.

And your filtration is fine. It's a 4.3 turnover rate which is good.

-Chelle

14. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

ok thanks lots t_chelle and hooben