1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

4 Empty 10 Gallons

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fishkin, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

I have 4 empty 10 gallon tanks, and any ideas on what I could put in them?? I like native fish, aggressive fish, cichlids. I also like silverdollars, barbs, etc..

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Why do you want aggressive fish? Or do you just want active fish with personality?

There's really not any cichilds that would be happy in a 10 gallon (maybe some shellies or rams, but they'd be better off with at least 20 gallons). Silver dollars won't work in a 10 gallon, but some of the smaller species of barbs (ie tiger barbs) might, but you could only fit about 3 or 4 in there at the most.

-Chelle

3. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

i enjoy the aggressive fish because i think it is more boring to watch a wish eat flakes off the top of water. With aggressive fishes there is action such as chases, tearing into prey, ect.... and alot of them have personality like you said. Exceptions to my likings are nice looking cichlids that will eat cichlid sticks and such (and once in awhile minnows) :wink: How big do the tiger barbs get?? And how big do silver dollars get??

4. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Its a shame you couldn't put them all togather to make a 40... You could start breeding your own feeders for the bigger fish you wanted. Other then that, Lets see....

Zebra Danio
    Platys
    Glass Tetras
    White Cloud (Mountain Minnow)
    Guppy
    Neon Tetras
    Black Tetras Semi-Aggressive (best kept in species only tanks as adults)
    Mollies

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

ever think of brigding them all together

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Tiger barbs get about 3" and silver dollars get about 6" but you also have to keep in mind that both prefer to be in groups of thier own kind.

And as far as tearing apart prey goes, remember that most of the large cichlids you're probably thinking of (flowerhorns, JD's, oscars, etc) are not piscivorous fish so feeder fish should NOT be a major part of their diet. They really do best with a staple of good quality pellets. And I also highly recommend AGAINST store bought feeders because they are the #1 way of introducing all kinds of nasty diseases to your fish. If you're going to use feeders, make sure you breed your own and don't make them a staple part of the diet for non-piscivorous fish. A good alternative for the fish I mentioned previously are insects like crickets, meal worms, earthworms, etc. Just avoid poisonous things like spiders or anything that could have come in contact with pesticides or other chemicals.

-Chelle