1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

A question about dobies

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Nano, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Nano

Nano New Member

My husband and I live out on 5 acres, and were thinking of getting a doberman puppy. At this point, we have 2 inside cats and 2 inside/outside cats. We are looking for a protective, and loving dog. We have grandchildren ranging in age from 4-14. My one son-in-law has grown up with dobes, and really reccomends them. I also like the fact that they are short haired, and don't seem to shed as much as some of the other breeds. When I mention to other people that I am thinking of getting one, they tell me that they are to hyper and untrustworthy; that they could turn on you. Is this true? Has anyone had good experiences with them? What should I do?

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

First of all, you need to stop and do your research on the breed. Contact reputable breeders and ask them what health testings and temperament testings they're dogs have.

I highly encourage you to contact a rescue organization or dobie rescue group.

3. Sara

Sara New Member

From what I've read and heard from working people it's VERY hard to find a correct Dobe out there. It seems that they're a bit overbred as a whole and so you are more likely to end up getting a puppy who isn't "correct" meaning who could have health problems, temperment problems etc... It's very possible with such a popular breed.

Sam is right about doing your research when you do decide to go out and look for a dog. If you're worried about how trustworthy a dog will be at your home then you should skip thinking about what breed is more trustworthy than another but more look at specific breeders and practices of said breeders. Dobe's do have a lot of problems with either not being what a guardian dog should be or having serious health problems so it comes down to each breeder.

Research other guardian type breeds and honestly, if you look at what each breed's job is you'll have an easier time at least picking what breed you want to go with. I personally always recommend Livestock Guardian dogs for people with Families. LGD's thrive on family either livestock or human so will be more likely to easily blend into a family unit and also understand that youngsters will be youngsters.

If you want any tips on other breeds you may want to take a look at feel free to ask, I'm sure this board won't be short on recommendations.

Sara

4. Biscuit Eaters k9

Biscuit Eaters k9 New Member

The thing about Dobies, they are very bonded and crave human interaction. They are not the kind of dog that you can leave outside in a yard. And they shed more than most people think. They love to be touching a person most of the time and will become destructive if left alone for too long.

Aside from that, they are great dogs in the right homes. Dobies are very intelligent, but they would prefer to do things their way. My family has a great dobie that was a rescue. He is loving, playful, goofy and an all around gentle dog. I also have a great friend that has the breed and he wouldn't trade them for anything. His favorite saying about dobies is " they learn in half the amount of time as another breed, but spend the other half trying to figure out to get out of doing it!" That couldn't be more true.

When thinking about a guardian breed, dobies have been bred down from their original temperament as a guardian, however, their reputation still preceeds them. Would our dobie protect the place if we were gone? Highly unlikely. But at the same time, would an intruder really break in knowing we had a dobie inside, also highly unlikely. I try to discourage people from getting a dog to protect their place, but rather get a dog that will deter strangers by looks alone. A dobie does do that. A good bark from a dobie stops most people. My friend with the dobies uses his dogs as demo dogs in his group classes, very social animals. Yet when he walks them on the board walk, most people walk a wide circle.

I am not saying the dobie is the right dog for your family, but I did want you to know that dobies are not what people think they are.

In this day and age, having a guardian breed is a liability. Many of the dogs bred for guardians do not tolerate other dogs and sometimes people they don't know. So no matter what you decide on, please socialize and train.
    Rayna

5. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Great points Rayna.

To add a bit to the "guardian breed liability". Thats very true. I have boerboels and one thing I've learned is that they are very much a liability in the wrong hands. All of my dogs are trained and very well bred (thanks to a wonderful breeders!!!)
    It takes alot of knowlege on a "guardian" breed and tons of dedication into training and conditioning and socializing a dog. I've had agressive dogs, scared dogs, and dogs that are perfect and one thing I have to repeat is that its all in the sociliazation, breeding, and training in the dog!

Do not get a dog purely from its looks. That seems to be something alot of people are after these days. They get a dog because it "looks cool" or a friend said "they're cool dogs" and turn around and not like the dog or do not know how to handle them, the dogs end up in shelters or worse; pts.

Definately do your research. Go visit people with the dogs, talk to breeders, visit some and discuss it with your vet as well. Another great way to learn about the breed is to talk to trainers. Most Trainers see the worst in breeds and can give you a good idea of what can go wrong temperament wise.

I know I spent a week with my first two boerboels when i drove to Wyoming and got them. I wanted to be sure I was comfortable with them and they with me and its what we wanted. And I was super lucky to have Rayna spend several days with me when I got my next few dogs from her.