1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

a question on angelfish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by birdman209, Aug 22, 2005.

1. birdman209

birdman209 New Member

how do u tell the sex of a angelfish apart

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

As far as I know, it is nearly impossible to sex angels. People who have a ton of experience breeding angels may be able to do it based on body shape (I believe - but don't ask me what the differences are), but for the most part, it's pretty difficult for less experienced people.

-Chelle

3. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi birdman209, The genital papillae in males is pointed. In females it is rounded.

4. Jacz

Jacz New Member

Yeah i've heard that it is nearly impossible to get them to mate but i got a freiend who was able to get them to have babies but then a friend of his put an everglades plant in it which killed the animals. :(

5. AnnaBelle

AnnaBelle New Member

Hey maybe I can help. I had a pair to actually have babies and them hatch several times a couple of years ago. They are so cute they don't even look like fish at first. On the females right above their mouths (i guess you could say on their noses) :D it is kind of dented in--like a little dented in place on them there. The males are not this way. Maybe now you can tell the difference.

6. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

What AnnaBelle said is generally correct and relatively easy to do once they are about the size of a half dollar, but there are a few varieties of Angelfish like the Altum Angel (Petrophyllum Altum) in which the male and the female both have that slight indentation above the eye.