1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

A trip to the Vet

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by vene, Dec 27, 2008.

1. halaroo

halaroo New Member

:eek: Thanks for the positive update!

2. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I'm so glad that Monty is doing better.

3. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Vene. I had posted a reply a long time ago, but there must have been a computer issue. I am so sorry to hear all this news! :cry: I wish there was something more that could be done. Any chance you will take him in for a second opinion? Or do you feel in your heart that your vet is right and nothing can be done? I'm so sorry. It makes me very sad too. I'm glad he's doing okay for now. :(

4. vene

vene New Member

Thank you Chessmind. There's really no point for a second opinion at this point. He's not a candidate for surgery and doing further testing would give us the reason for his sickness but not a treatment plan. We were told to just give him whatever foods he wants, preferrably can ones.

Monty was puking for a couple of days so I brought him back to the vet this morning. He was given subcutaneous fluids to rehydrate him. His eyes appeared jaundiced so the assumption is that his liver has been infiltrated. There's really nothing they can do for him at this point except food stimulants and more fluids. He's eating but just isn't retaining any nutrition. I've added Nutracal and vitamins to his diet and he's gotten used to it. He's just going downhill steadily. He still has a zest for life but there will come a time when he may be in pain, stop eating, or have uncontrolled puking. Then we'd have to do something drastic.

We discovered he was crying a month ago because he went blind. The high blood pressure that he may have gotten due to renal disease probably blew out his retinas. He also has no sense of smell. At least he is eating. I suspect his organs are slowly shutting down.

He's really the best kitty we've ever had and it seem so unfair to see him go downhill at 12 years of age. It's way too young in my opinion.

5. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Aww Vene sorry about your fur baby..... :cry: it is soo hard to watch your babies get old!!! Know that you are doing the right thing making him happy, and as comfortable as you can for the time that you have him. My hat's off to you in this difficult time. I have been nursing Patches like you have yours and I know the feeling of what should/can I do for her to make her feel better now......
    hang in there!!! Best wishes!!!!

6. vene

vene New Member

Thank you HDrydr. Monty has bad muschle atrophy now and can't walk very steadily. He's getting weaker too. Right now he's enjoying being with us. So we'll take each day as it comes.

7. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Vene, hang in there and you'll know when it is time. He has had a good loved life with you!!! You are in my thoughts!!! You are doing the best you can for him and his well being. Cherish every moment with Monty!!!!!

{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

8. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Big hugs to you and Monty.