1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Aggressive Maine Coone

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Alexpkitten, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Alexpkitten

Alexpkitten New Member

OK, I have a 16 month old maine coon. He has been fixed.

Lately he finds my legs to be a biting and scratching toy. This morning he went so far as to meow and chase my legs. I ended up shutting him out of the bedroom. I've tried shouting no, hissing like mama cat and squirting him with a water gun. While all the above shock him for a sec he continues on shortly there after. Can anyone suggest something that will discourage him from this behavior for good?!?!

2. vene

vene New Member

Yep, sounds like he wants to play. eveytime he "attacks" you, bring out his favorite toy and play with him. Fishing pole toys work well with my cats. You can also get a stuffed animal strictly for him to attack when he's in the mood. I found out tha all my kitties are babies until they are 3 years old. They don't mellow out until then. By the way do you have any pics of your baby? What's his name? Maine Coons are georgeous!

3. Alexpkitten

Alexpkitten New Member

His name is Alex. I have pics but I don't have the cables to download from my camera.
    Unfortunately he wants to play as I'm getting ready for work.

4. vene

vene New Member

Get him a buddy kitty!

5. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

LOL welcome to my world. first off clip his nails so he wont injure you. if hes really feisty when restrained get like 3 or more people to hold him :wink: when he attacks hiss or squirt him and then chuck him a toy. if that doesnt work, RUN!

6. Alexpkitten

Alexpkitten New Member

I am seriously considering getting him a sister. I just have been a little hesitant cause I was afraid I'd compund my problem.

7. Fblack

Fblack New Member

I have a 6 month old female Maine Coon and she is a sweetheart. She loves to play including hide and seek, but never attacks with claws and teeth. She loves to "hunt" toys and play with balls and pipe cleaners. I know she was hand raised in a great home with other kittens and a mother to learn from. I heard Maine Coons will bite and scratch if they never learned to play properly. Do you know how your kitten was raised?

8. Alexpkitten

Alexpkitten New Member

Well he was with his siblings for 9 or 10 weeks. Then I brought him home. I play with him, probably not enough since I work and such.

9. vene

vene New Member

Kylie, do you have any new pics of Pepepoohead?
    Sorry to butt in on your thread Alexpkitten.
    Also if clipping nails don't work, someone here has mentioned soft claws to apply on Alex.

10. Alexpkitten

Alexpkitten New Member

Well clipping his claws has minimal effect, but his teeth break skin as easily as claws.

11. footsie

footsie New Member

I agree with Vene. Get him a stuffed animal that he can westle with. A big one, about his same size. When he attacks you, put the toy in the middle of things and taunt him with it. Its the only thing that has worked for me.

12. Alexpkitten

Alexpkitten New Member

thats sounds like a good idead. Need to find something really tough, cause he goes thru toys like I go thru paper towels. He is one strong cat!

13. footsie

footsie New Member

I would imagine. Maine Coons look strong!

You could look for a dog toy that doesn't squeek. I got mine in the toddler department. That way I was sure that the eyes and things were secure.

14. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

Yep, he's definatelly needing to play and play hard. Toys are in order but a mistake many people make is an over abundence of toys...forgo paying $5 X twenty toys and invest in a cat condo or if you can, build on yourself. And only get him maybe 2 or 3 toys. I've got a hyper kitty and he LIVES on his condo/scratching post

15. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

ive got some new pics but i havent put them on the computer yet. i will do them soon. dont get another kitten, he will just attack the poor little thing.