1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

"Alone Time" problems

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by MicroMuttMom, Apr 27, 2004.

1. MicroMuttMom

MicroMuttMom New Member

Hi All,

Well, little Stella continues to be a delight, aside from nipping and other minor issues we're dealing with more or less patiently. ;-)

Now I'm wondering if anyone has some advice re: confinement. When my husband and I need to run errands or can't pay close attention to our puppy, we confine her to the bathroom, with light on and baby-gate along the doorway so she can see out. We also leave water, the crate (open door) with her bed in it, and of course, toys. Nevertheless, she whimpers up a storm, usually the second we leave the room and keeps it up for some time. I'm told I should never give in and go respond to the whimpering, and I manage (barely) to stick to my guns, but I feel so cruel -- those little whimpers are heartbreaking!

BTW, we never confine her when she's hungry or needs to potty, and she does get plenty of playtime, so I don't quite know what the problem is. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Lil

2. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

First let me say that I am not speaking from experience because I have yet to experience puppy ownership (soon though..)!

Anyway, I've heard many people suggest puppy play pens. This might help you if you need to be working in another area of the house and can't be playing with your puppy.. maybe if the puppy is in the same room as you but in her play pen playing with her toys, she won't wimper?

I'm not sure if this would help.. just passing on something that I've heard :D

Good luck to you!

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I don't think there really is a "problem" MicroMuttMom - Your Stella (like many puppies) simply doesn't like to be alone, or without attention! Although it does sound cruel, it is important that you continue to ignore her when she cries, whines, or barks. She needs to learn that you aren't going to be by her side 24-7, and that she IS OK when you are not by her side during those periods of time! Sounds cruel, but it truly isn't!

You are probably already doing so, but if not, you may want to give her a chew, bone, or kong to keep her distracted during those times that you leave her.

As tough as it is, keep up what you are already doing! In most cases, the problem goes away after a while. I know my two shih-poos were the same way, but after a several weeks, they discontinued and learned that they wouldn't receive any attention no matter how much whining, crying, or barking they did when left alone. Although, I think that having each other also helped matters as well! And YES, I know how heartbreaking it is to hear the whimpering, but ignoring her pleas for attention in situations such as this, is in both your, and Stella's, best interest!!! (Giving in and attending to her every whimper will reinforce the behavior, and make it MUCH worse!)

Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone, and Stella's behavior is quite normal!!!

I wish you the best of luck! :D

*I would put Mickey & Tigger in my kitchen during those times when I would leave or couldn't keep a REAL close eye one them. But, like PooGirl mentioned, a puppy play pen is also another great option! :y_the_best:

4. MicroMuttMom

MicroMuttMom New Member

Thanks for the replies! MyBabyShihPoo, we'll just keep doing what we're doing then -- we do leave stuffed kongs with her, and we don't run in to comfort when she whimpers. (We just feel guilty about it is all, but we'll get over it!) PooGirl, maybe I'll look into the playpen idea. Stella might be happier in the living room or kitchen, who knows.

Thanks again.

Lil