1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

AMMONIA TOO HIGH, PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by MUDD, Aug 14, 2008.

1. MUDD

MUDD New Member

I HAVE A 14 GALLON TANK,WHISPER 5-15 AND A 20-40. I HAVE TWO FLAME TETRA, 1 PLECO, 3 ZEBRA DANIOS. I LOST TWO CLOWN LOACHES AND TWO PICTUS CATS.
    TANK HAS BEEN UP FOR 2.5 MONTHS I DO 50/50 WATER CHANGES EVERY THREE DAYS AND VAC EVERY OTHER DAY. I CANT SEEM TO GET AMMONIA DOWN EVEN WITH AMMONIA TABLETS. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I LOOSE ANY MORE FISH.

2. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Welcome to the board!

MUDD sounds to me that the tank was overwhelmed by fish... How big are the fish? the rule of thumb is 1 inch fish per gallon taking in mind how big will the fish get when they grow up. Did they all go in at the same time or over a period of time? If you add them all at once you throw off the chemical levels especially nitrates and nitrites and ammonia . You can also fill up buckets of the water that will go into the tank and let them sit for several hours to release the chemicals in it, then add. How long was the tank cycling before you put them in? If not long enough the biological filter is not established. Usually you should cycle it for a month giving it a small amount of food to start the "filter". Do a 50/50 water change check chemical levels (kits can be purchased at the pet store). Then slowly introduce fish a few at a time with such a small tank. Too early for the pleco if there is no algae visible and they don't get supplements they can't survive and some don't eat much algae anyways.

I would try a 50/50 vac (when I say 50/50 change water: siphoning cleans and exchanges the water and waste.)

But like everything there are alot of variables so best of luck. Keep us informed.

3. MUDD

MUDD New Member

thank you very much

my fish all went at different times. my loaches had white spots on them and two days later they died. my catfish died a little over a week later. my pleco has driftwood and i give him alge wafers every night. my ammonia is now starting to come down it is at stress now, so thank you for the info

4. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

You can also feed the pleco fresh veggies like cucumber, zuc's to change it up some. People feed them all sorts of stuff but I've found that mine really likes cuc's.