1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Another "Name This Mix" contest

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Dukesdad, Jun 27, 2005.

1. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

:lol: See...I didnt get that at all, I got the Aussie but I was thinking Dane.... :lol:

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

It was something about the face or the eyes that said Great Pyr, even though the head isn't shaped right.

3. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

I did not meet this dog again in the park last weekend so no chance to further investigate. I did find these illustrations on the AKC website for Aussies and Great Pyrs so look at this:
    Is it possible that

[​IMG]

Crossed with

[​IMG]

Equal this ?

[​IMG]

Seeing the markings on the Aussie illustration I now can see the possibility. The confirmation of the hind quarters does make me think it is still Greyhound but now I'm not so sure.

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Except that dog is definitely brindle. The Aussie in the photo is blue merle. There is a difference.

5. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I have to strongly disagree with the brindle theory. In the cattle world, and in dogs the same genetic trait is produced by breeding two animals that carry the trait... Take for instance the F-1 cattle (aka brindle cattle) The ONLY way your gonna get brindle cattle is by breeding a Brahman cow with a Herford Bull... if you try it the other way, ie: Herford cow with Brahman bull, your not gonna get brindle.

Same goes with dogs. The trait carried is from the sire mixed with a multi colored ( or loose skinned) female. Sounds really confusing, but true.

In the Great Danes, Boxers, Pits, ect... A sire is gonna carry a dominat gene for the production of the red color or the brown/black. The dam on the other hand is going to throw in the twist and cause the brindle effect.

My information comes from a geneticist at Texas A&M University. I took a genetics class.....

Anyhow...

The dog is neat looking, but looks nothing like an Aussi/Pyr... Possibility but not likely, as neither of the breed is capable of producing the brindle.

Axel is a straight up Austrailan Shephard / Great pyr cross. You can see him on his Dogster Page.

I suspect its either Pyr with some Dane, boxer, or like yall said, Greyhound. Though it could very well have some Catahula..

6. dogangel

dogangel New Member

I don't know... Shouldn't he be like a lot hairyer if he were a Grat Pyr/Aussie mix?! :?: Any way, he is one sweet boy.

I would have guessed Greyhound/boxer or some sort of mastiff mix?!

7. Samsintentions

I agree. Unless he was clipped??

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

But he CAN'T be great pyr/aussie (unless something else is in there, too) because he is brindle...

9. Samsintentions

right... I don't know. Perhaps it could be Great Pyr/ aussie/ greyhound???

I don't know. Unless like yall said, it was a purposeful breeding, whos to know.
    I know alot of vets/ rescues will label dogs by what they look like... and according to most rescues everything has lab in it or terrier..LOL...