1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody have any advice for swim bladder disease?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nano, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Nano

Nano New Member

I am pretty sure that my full grown Jaguar Cichlid has swim bladder disease. Does anyone know if this is fatal? Is there any treatment for this? Thanks, Nano.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Is he bloated any or just having buoyancy problems?
    Has he been pooping normally?
    What are you feeding him?
    How his he acting otherwise? Are his fins clamped? Is he still somewhat active? Eating? Any red streaks or patches?
    What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

The most common causes of swim bladder problems are:
    Constipation - the swim bladder empties into the intestines so if there's a blockage, it can't deflate.
    Injury - If there's some kind of injury (can happen if the fish suffers some kind of blunt trauma like running into decorations, jumping out of the tank or getting badly beat up by other fish), the swim bladder could get damaged and not function properly
    Infection - an internal infection can damage the swim bladder.
    Tumor - a large mass/tumor can keep the swim bladder from working properly.

-Chelle

3. Nano

Nano New Member

Anybody have any advice on swim bladder disease?

The jaguar cichlid is very bloated, and having a problem with buoyancy(sp?). His scales are not sticking out, and fins are not clamped, he still swims allright, but at the top. He eats extremely well, no change there. Tank is clean, and filter has also been cleaned and changed. I have been keeping up with water changes as well. I feed them pelleted food and food sticks as well. Thanks, Nano.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sounds like he could be a little constipated. I'd stop feeding him for a few days. Or if you feed him just try giving him a few shelled peas (it's like fishy ex-lax). You can just use frozen peas and nuke them in the microwave for a few seconds to thaw them. Then remove the outer skin and feed the middle parts to him.

-Chelle

5. Nano

Nano New Member

swim bladder problems

I have tried the peas, and he wouldn't eat them, my convicts liked them though! I have now noticed that he has a bulge on one side, and is no longer swimming at all anymore. He lays on his side on top of a large rock formation toward the top of the tank. Anything else I can try? Thanks!

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Has he been eating anything? If you're still feeding him regular food, I'd stop feeding him altogether for a few days.

Also, is there any way you could post a picture?

The only other thing that comes to mind is maybe a tumor. If that's the case, there's really not a whole lot you could do.

-Chelle

7. Nano

Nano New Member

fish with swimbladder disease

I have been feeding him about every 2-3 days for awhile, and no change. Wish I could post a picture, but I don't have a 'working' camera right now, sorry! I was thinking a tumor, too. Someone else mentioned internal parasites. What do you think? How do they pick up parasites? I have not introduced any new fish for quite a while and all the other fish are fine. All I have in the tank are the jaguar,an oscar,2 convicts,2 plecos, and one catfish.

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Any stringy white poop? That's generally the primary symptom of internal parasites. But if you haven't introduced any new fish in quite a while, chances are, it's not a parasite.

-Chelle