1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have this pleco fish?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Heather&Nicole, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Heather&Nicole

Heather&Nicole New Member

Its an albino marble Salfin pleco

[​IMG]

liveaquaria.com said they can get up to a foot and a half long..my question is that if it is in a 55 gallon aquarium will it get that big? How long does it take it to grow to full size? Is it worth it toget it?

Has anyone had this fish before?

2. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Woa, no iv never even seen it in a store before , but they usually do get about a foot and when they get to big for your 55 gal just take it back and ask if you can traid for a smaller one.

3. Heather&Nicole

liveaquaria.com sells it, its 33 bucks but i think its really cool looking :)

If it gets too big, maybe one of you guys who has a large tank would want it 8)

4. tina1

tina1 New Member

Plecos grow pretty fast. We had one of these (non albino though) that reached nine inches in less than 1 year. Most shops will take them off your hands when they grow too large, but you can't really rely on that. They might not take it at all if they don't have room and then you're stuck. IMO it grows too large for a 55.

5. Heather&Nicole

well i guess i'll deal with it when that comes. Im sure i could find someone to take it, some aquarium place in a years time :)

Thanks!!

Its so pretty and so cool looking, it'd be such a nice addition to what we have planned.

6. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea i have to admit, that i one nice looking fish...only problem would be the shipping cost unless you could find it at ur LFS.

7. Heather&Nicole

Yeah liveaquaria does free overnight shipping on orders over $175...but im not sure if i'll spend THAT much on fish lmao But from what i see their shipping prices are pretty reasonable.

8. papastew

papastew New Member

I was just on that web site for the first time last night and they offer a huge variety of plecos. The prices on some are outrageous!

9. Heather&Nicole

Yeah this albino sail pleco is 33 bucks. The site has 14 day live fish gaurantee though, so thats pretty good!

10. tina1

tina1 New Member

Wow, $33 :shock:

I actually just saw them at my lfs for $6.99 yesterday....

Do you have a local store that could maybe order your albino fishes for you? That could save you quite a chunk of change.

11. Heather&Nicole

Really? What LFS do u go to? is it a chain store? Thanks for the tip!

12. tina1

tina1 New Member

Nope, it's just a local little mom and pop store. Their fish are usually quite healthy, but their tanks and stuff are really gross. But the people are super nice and know me by name. Most of the time they can get me any fish I want, but it does take a couple of weeks. IME, if you go into any small, non chain store they are more than happy to special order a fish for you. Some will even hold them a week or so after their arrival so that you can make sure they are healthy. I prefer doing it this way so that I don't have to worry about paying for shipping (yikes that can get high!) and worrying about having someone home just in case the fish might come.

13. Heather&Nicole

Sounds good, do you know of how i could find those type of stores in my area? That sounds like the better way to go. Thanks!

14. tina1

tina1 New Member

Oh I'm sure you'll have at least one. Do you live in a city or maybe just a smaller town? I live in a very small city and we have two. Just look in the phone book yellow pages for "pet stores" or "fish stores"

Keep in mind that many times the staff doesn't know a whole lot about the fish. So go in knowledgeable about the fish you are looking for, also observe the fish carefully before purchasing them. Make sure they look active and healthy and that there aren't an excessive amount of dead fish in the tanks.

Also, keep your receipt after you purchase because most shops offer a guarantee on their livestock. Some are only 24 hours, but one of the stores here actually does a 30 day guarantee. You just have to bring the body, a water sample, and your receipt back.

I honestly don't know of anyone online or off that has purchased fish online. The vast majority of people go to a local store, on message boards we say "lfs" short for "local fish store"

15. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Dang! $33!!! at my fish store you can order them and pay maybe about $7.

16. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

i see them all the time. they are just over priced plecos. thats what i think of them. i think i have like a pleco... now where did it go :oops:

17. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

very cool pleco