1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Appy Question

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by Sara, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Sara

Sara New Member

Here's Jack BTW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

He's such a pretty boy!

3. Sara

Sara New Member

Had a few people tell me to show him in Halter... Not sure I want to do that though...LOL... *sigh*...looks like that and rides like a caddy...I couldn't pass him up!

4. Samsintentions

I don't know about halter shows...not to offend you or anything.

Has he progressed any? Have you tried the hack or bosal yet?

5. Sara

Sara New Member

He's getting better ground manners every day... I haven't tried much on him lately since it's been so dang cold...FREEZING out here... Today I'll do the ground work with a saddle and next week we'll get to some driving. He doesn't dance for the blanket anymore at all...in fact two days ago he fell asleep while I was putting it back on him after I'd taken in off... That velcro belly strap doesn't give him an iota of issue anymore... We're just taking it slow...I'm not in MUCH of a hurry and I'm also waiting on the trainer to work with her before we get into too much... I'm still debating with it...wondering if we need the help or not... Possibly... I think I'll skip the Bosal till after we do some driving and ride after that...if he supples up then I'll stick to a nice mild snaffle... I also want to do some more sacking out WITH the saddle on...that many distractions at once to deal with...the better... We'll see...

6. Samsintentions

Thats good. I have a bunch that have a problem with the velcrow on the belly... lol...

7. sara :m19: i dont care want any one says no horse is smarter than an arab and yes quarter horses are inbreed too but you cant say appies arent i would pick an appie over a paint or quarter horse any day but nuthin over an arab and i dont care what you think but the appie i had loved me and i loved him i lost him to epm :cry: and he also did better showin with me than any other owner he had and he had alot of owners. :0009:

8. Samsintentions

Ok. No need to get all defensive and start an argument here. Some people just don't like Arabs, and some don't like Appy's. But to go and say that they are all inbred along with the QH is so far from unreal its not even funny. NOT all breeds of horses such as these and not all the horses are INBRED. Do your research before you come here bashing other posters and members on which breed they prefer. Selective breeding may intail "breeding back to its origen" which is Far from inbreeding.

Same goes in dogs. To continue a good bloodline of horse and to insure that it sticks to its foundation lines, you breed back to that line...not particularly to its direct relative.

Do just a bit of research before bashing. You might have awsome horses and thats great. Congrats and kudos to you. But others do to and you need to respect that.

9. Chicksgirl

Chicksgirl New Member

Well said!

I'm partial to Appy's myelf.

Sara, Jack's a beautiful horse.

Here's my Appy, Chick:

[​IMG]

10. Sara

Sara New Member

WOW I had no idea we were going to end up with such anger at my comments... I love my Arab and I'm an Arab person through and through...I was just pointing out that my Appy is smarter than my Arab...well with fearfull things anyway... Nothing about breeds and some lines of all breeds are inbred while others are not...

Point is... What Sam said...

GREAT looking horse Chick...I'm assuming Mare??? She's built nicely and it's always good to see people in English...LOL...I like both but English is my fave. and around here (WYOMING) you just never see it...LOL...

Didn't mean to offend anyone before or now... No reason to go bashing breeds or people's opinions of them... I've been an Arab person long enough to let it be like water off a ducks back... WAY too many people in the "cowboy" circles who've bashed me to my face while RIDING my Arabs about arabs etc... Gotta have a thick skin to own BOTH of these breeds...there's ALWAYS someone out there ready to bash them for being dumb, lazy, stubborn or crazy, flighty, dangerous etc... Makes owning them more of an adventure right??? I love it, BOTH breeds...any breed will do and they all deserve respect as Equines etc...

11. Samsintentions

Well said Sara. Kinda got defensive of you!! LOL.... sorry.. all of you have become such good friends of mine.

When someone has the nerve to bash ANY Equine, they need a reality check. Each and every individual horse is diffrent, no matter what breed. Sure some carry the tendacies of that trait from that breed, but NONE are the same.

My Appy acts like and Arab, my TB acts just like a QH and my QH's all act like my appy!!! Soooooo.....

Any how. Very nice Appy mare. I like Broodstock horses. May not have the "true" colors of the breed, but all in all they are very pretty.

Lady is a Brood Stock Paint. Looks just like your CHick!!

12. Chicksgirl

Chicksgirl New Member

Thank you both for the compliments on Chick! She's come a long way from when we first got her. Here's what she used to look like:

[​IMG]

13. Sara

Sara New Member

She did grow to be quite fine looking!!!

I like the solid broodmare types too... Fun stuff... Great looking girl!!

14. Samsintentions

She looks alot like my S.A.

15. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

hi you guys. just visiting and browsing from over in the cat forum. i have a tennesse walker....so, lols...i "qualify"!!

i like the topic and what samsintentions said about respecting the differences in breeds....

but mostly, i wanted to compliment the pics....sara's horse...beautiful, and chicksgirl....your horse has come so far. arent you proud? what a difference!!! :eek:

16. Sara

Sara New Member

Thank you so much for your compliments...

17. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

:wink:

my pleasure. ive been around horses most of my life...i had a pony horse for eight years growing up...mix of arabian and appy...no spots though. she was wonderful...chica was her name.

and ive had my t.w. for eleven years. hes the best. used to be a little on the crazy side...but never mean. uh...well...still a little on the crazy side...spooks at things that are there....and lols....things that arent there.

i love all horses.

but before i got a horse in sixth grade, i rode a horse called olie. (thats "oh-lee") she was an appaloosa. she was sweet...a little sluggish...but the most comfortable ride you could get with her big ole wide, flat back!!! (i only knew bareback as a kid....used my saddle only for "special occasions" lols)

anyway....jack is really great looking.

see ya guys!! back to the kitty forum!! :p

18. Sara

Sara New Member

I wasn't allowed a saddle...could get hung up as a kid...LOL... Just had a bareback pad...talk about a great way to learn balance on a stubborn Welsh pony that bucked going AWAY from the barn and nearly BOLTED goign toward it... He would never hurt me or anything though...I'd come off and he'd stand there staring at me... If he wasn't as kind I'd have been run over and all kinds of things... Dusty was his name... Then I had a grade mare Lady that I saved from the auction for a summer's worth of babysitting money... My mom's boss gave me an Arab. Gelding now 27 that's still crazy and then I just got Jack...LOL... My pony was put down at 30 something and my mare died while I was away at college... I'm down to two horses and love them both to death...Arab and Appy's have to be my favorite...

My mom's always wanted a TW...LOL...one day I hope to get her one with my riches...

19. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

hee hee...boy do i relate. before the "big horse" olie came along, i learned to ride on little shetland ponies. one was blind, his name was joker....ran into things alot...lols...then there was emmy...she bucked too!!! ugh...and seymore...the tiniest pony with the biggest backbone :shock:

chica used to get the bit in her mouth...then run. of course she was arabian...so she could run like the wind. anytime i put one of my friends on her...she take the side of the bit...and race back to the pasture with my friends....lols. cant believe noone ever got hurt. kids do goofy things dont they?

but...bareback....is the best way to learn in my opinion. i believe i am the rider i am because of it. :wink:

and...sometimes you can find great deals on gaited horses...just gotta look. its a big community out here in phoenix...for all breeds. ive had friends find walkers for around 1500.00. good lines too...just some behavioral issues that require working with the horse to resolve. but you find that with any breed.

such good memories as a kid....horses were probably the reason why i kept my sanity....i had a bit of an attitude as a kid :roll:

20. Samsintentions

me too.. I do lessons and the first thing I do is place them on bare back!! LOL...they will learn to balance that way and use their legs. Then we start with an English saddle. The more advanced and confident, then we go on to western.

My first horse had to be the tallest QH in the world. Little ol me, 2 or 3 at the time, I had Super Star. He was about 16.7 hh, and fast!!! But As the video's and stories are told now, I didnt' care....

I had him up until I was 14 yrs old. I went out to the barn and he was "sunning" or so I though in the pad. I went to pet him, and he didn't get up...odd... so I put a halter on him to make him get up. My initial reaction was colic....

Turns out he was just soooo old, once he got down, there was no getting back up for him. He lived to be about 43. SO we had to help him cross teh rainbow bridge.

Now I have Sassy. My one true love! LOL....no one can ride her, no one can handle her but me... good in a way, frustrating as heck all the other times. I never have to worry about her being stolen, but then agian, Any time something has to be done with her...I"ve got to be the one to do it.

I have and had many horses...but still Sassy, is my main babe. She's my shoulder to cry on, my ride for sanity, and my best friend. Weird, I know...but thats her. I've got to get some photos of her on here!!!