1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Are my fry ready to move one?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tina1, May 6, 2004.

1. tina1

tina1 New Member

My guppy fry are about seven weeks old now. I'm just wondering if they're ready to move on to their other homes now. They're at just under 1 inch but definitely no where near the size of the adult guppies yet. 6 will be moving in with a friend of my friends whose raised fish for a long time. Will they be ok to go with him now? I just don't want them to die as soon as he gets them. Should I wait a little longer?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

omgosh your soo lucky!! lol, i think they should be a great age now, but be careful!! this is the age theycan breed at so its best if you dont want fry right now to seperate girls from boys

3. tina1

tina1 New Member

I'd always heard that the females couldn't breed until they were three months old. Uh oh, I really don't need more fry....

4. OneWolvesDream

i read somewhere that all fishes around yours age should be seperated because they become sexually mature and start to breed. the females can hold packs of sperm from another male and use that throught its life so some may be pregnant even without males now.

5. tina1

tina1 New Member

*starts to twitch uncontrollably at the thought of more fry*

6. OneWolvesDream

im open for adoption of adorable fishies!! lol

7. J_acon

J_acon New Member

8. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

Tina, Your fry are so cute and they are getting big. I finally parted with 8 of my ist bath last week-They are in a tank by them selves and they are safe. I hope my fry end up as as good looking as yours look now. For some reason mine seem all plain??? Maybe I need to get a Good strong handsom male for my mom HUH?

Anyways good luck parting with your fry.

9. tina1

tina1 New Member

Oh Kristina I can't do it! :(

They're like my kids now :roll: They've gotten even more beautiful since the time I took that picture. They're finally starting to play around the entire tank too, not just the top. I love their innocence; I can pet them or pick them up in my hand and hold them up so I can see them better (partially blind here...)... And I still have all 28 and the deformed one has straightened out and looks perfectly normal now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did promise someone six and he's a good guy, but I'm still hoping he'll forget about them :?

The best thing though: My mom, who originally told me over and over "she's not pregnant, you're just feeding her too much" and " you can't keep thirty babies in these tanks forever you know" is know just as attached to them as I am. She is actually forming this elaborate plan to save the next batch we get from my yellow female (this will be her first) using four tank dividers and pvc pipe. And the best thing is that currently all three of my females are hugely pregnant, if they drop at close to the same time I could have up to 50 new fry by this weekend :D And one father is a lyre tail so that will be exciting too!

I guess I'll have to get over them sometime though!!!!! They may not be anything exotic but I sure love them!

Also, are most of your fry female? I notice that my females are hardly showing any coloration at all, just the males so far really. Could that be why your fry seem plain looking? I'm sure they'll color up just fine, maybe they're just slow growers. Incidentally, what temp do you keep the tank at, as I've heard that higher temps actually cause the fry to grow faster.

Good luck :mrgreen:

10. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

Tina, my first batch of fry had 25 females and only 1 male :( :( (desperatly hoping for more males in the second batch). The second I am not sure. But the ffirst batch seemed to have 2 females who i though were getting black tailsl but now I do not see that. BUT 2 OF MY NEW FRY have black, and I have people wanting to snatch the black ones. My tank at home is set at 76 but it has been running about 80ish-right now it is 78. The tank I have at work that has the mom and 6 of the first batch of fry as well as the breeder with the 9 newest fry in it is also set at 76, but it runs a smig colder 74ish (I think because the district I work for likes to freez us out :lol: ).

Does anyone know how long it can take a female to be at least black???

I am a bit jellous 8) your fry look so good :)0009: JUST KIDDING- I am so happy for you) .We have chatted for a while and I did not realize you had more preganet females WOW COOL!!!

All my fry except my male are plain looking. I am thinking of getting a new nice looking female or a Good looking male to breed her with (but i am afraid the new one might eat my fry).

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND ABOU NOT WANTING TO GIVE TEHM UP. I AM LUCKY I CAN SEE THE 8 I GAVE OUT ALL THE TIME. BUT I DO NOT HAVE THE SPACE FOR MORE TANKS TO BE HOUNEST, ALTHOUGH I FEEL ON COMMING ON EVENTUALLY :| .

TAKE CARE.

11. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

TINA, I FORGOT TO ASK YOU..HOW MANY MALES AND FEMALES DID YOU HAVE BEFORE THE FRY WERE BORN. & HOW MANY FRY ARE MALE AND HOW MANY ARE FEMALES???

12. tina1

tina1 New Member

Wow only one male out of the whole bunch!!!! The article I read said that the high the temp was the more males you'll get when they're born. My temps in all my tanks stay at about 80-82 no matter what I do but my house does tend to run warm in the spring and summer.

My original guppies (that I actually bought that this first batch of fry is from) I had two males and one female. I then bought two more males and three more females. So I had four of each. One female just died a couple of weeks ago though and one female I mentioned in the other post had her fry last night so when I woke up there were none to save. As near as I can tell my purple female should be dropping again in a couple days and my yellow female is WAY over due. So I put them back in the five gallon that only has ghost shrimp at the moment. Out of what I could count of my fry I seem to have 12 males and 16 females.

As to the color question I've heard many different answers. Basically it comes down to their growth rate which is influenced by water changes and tank space. The more water changes occur the faster fry grow and the more room they have the faster they grow. Warm temperatures and frequent feedings also influence faster growth. That said, my two largest fry are nearly double the size of the others, they are female and barely have any color at all. So I guess it just depends.

Here's the most current pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

Did i mention I was jellous of all your colorful males????????

Great picture, Mine do not come out that good. I am trying to get some good ones to post.

Wow so you have 28 fry now. My small guppie (now a new mom :eek: :eek: :eek: ) had 2 fry two days ago. She got upset when I put her in the brader though so I took her out today no more fry. Maybe she had more before I noticed then and she ate them, I am not sure :( .

Anyways your pictures are always so nice and clear. I have a great camera but I always get a glair or blured fish becqause they move so much. WHY CAN'T THEY JUST POSE FOR THE PICTURE =P~!!!

I want to eventually get a realy nice looking male to mate my female with but with the fry I am scared he may snack on them. (bad fish).

Anyways. Good luck with your other female

14. tina1

tina1 New Member

Thanks Kristina! My purple female (who had my first batch that the pics are of) had 26 more yesterday, one day after I put her in the 5 gallon. She's like clockwork! However, the poor yellow female WILL NOT have her kids! She's been visibly pregnant for over 6 weeks!!!!! She isn't eating the little fry that she's sharing a tank with but I'm getting worried about her. Her spine is getting kind of bent and she hardly swims. She just hovers over this one large leaf.

And I agree, why can't fish just pose!!! If it will help you, I always set my camera to ISO 800, forced flash, and macro mode and press it up against the glass. If you can, try and aim the camera at an angle to the flash will bounce and hopefully you won't get a glare.

Good luck with all your fry! You must have so many by now like I do. I'm starting to think that if this keeps up I'll never have to buy another fish. It'll be like the self populating tank! I guess that's not as much fun as fish shopping though...

15. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

:eek: Congrats!!!!!!!! :eek: How exciting more fry. I hope your mom is ok??? Very strange behavior.

I will try to do as you suggested with my camera.

You are right, it is not as fun as shopping for your fish, BUT... it is so fun to see them grow and quess what they will look like. I can not wait to see some more pics soon.

Good luck

16. tina1

tina1 New Member

I am now the proud grandma of roughly 50 new fry guys :eek: :eek: :eek:
    The yellow mom finally broke down and gave birth and I now have some oddly colored yellow fry in addition to the regular transparent ones. Kinda cool! Does any one know if the ghost shrimp I keep in there will harm my fry as I saw a couple that had shredded tails today and I'm a little worried...

Here's pics of the new arrivals:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. OneWolvesDream

lucky, i only got four but to me that is a big number when i see my fry. what breed is yours?? mine is a mickey mouse platy

18. Obelix

Obelix New Member

I have about 5 or 6 ghost shrimp on the bottom of my 5 gallon and becuace its such a small tank i dont bother trying to keep any of my fry alive, but the ones that do survive havent had a problem with the ghost shrimp, gshrimp are rather slow and even slower when their not walking on gravel/sand. Ive only experience with guppy fry but i really dont think the shrimp should be a problem espically if your fry have had a chance to get bigger.

19. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

Tina, CONGRATS!!!!

Ok now I am going out this weekend and I am getting a pretty female. No plain ones for me. A yellow one sounds great. I guess we are in a race to see how many fry each of our guppies can have (JUST KIDDING). OK have i told you lately I was jealous?????? IF NOT I AM TELLING YOU NOW!!

I am so happy for you. I cannot wait to see how they color up. I will wait for new pics in a few weeks.

I AM SO GLAD WE HAVE THIS BOARD TO TALK ABOUT OUR EXPERENCES.

I WILL TALK TO YOU SOON. MY MOM HAS PROBIBLY 2 WEEKS LEFT BEFORE SHE HAS MORE (IF SHE KEEPS UP HER CURRENT RECORD).

20. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

oh ya tina, can you tell me the different types of plants you have in your tank. Maybe if you can from left to right in one of the pictures. I have a few but i want to expalnd and get more plants (maybe)

THANKS Kristina